• 1 Post By stanger89
  • 1 Post By bryansj

post #1 of 30 Old 07-02-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Exclamation Crash Plan glitch! Server users beware

Good evening everyone. I will get straight to it, I was on vacation and active duty for 1 month and a half. For some reason my crash plan kept telling me it couldn't back up for days but I had no way to check it until I got back this week. Found out today that it hasn't backed up in well over a month and the reason is because I had to go into the ini file and change the memory number. I did this once before when I first got it. So I go on the chat and ask why is this running my cpu usage through the roof and what happens when I have more storage then ram? I currently have 8.18tb with 3.11tb left and was planning on adding more space in the next month or so. I only have 8gb of physical ram. They told me they are working on these issues and hope to have 4.0 out by the end of the year. They also said if until the problem is fixed and I have more space then ram, the program will not work so no back up.

I am very upset and appalled by this, there is no reason those two glitches should exist in the first place. And as soon as my yr is up I plan on switching to back blaze. I can not put faith in a company that basically tells its users (especially yall with larger servers then me) sorry buddy hopefully its fixed by xmas. I just wanted to post so all those with large servers who didn't know about this know now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-02-2014, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Be aware that Backblaze does not install on server operating systems including WHS 2011.
Mfusick likes this.
post #3 of 30 Old 07-02-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

I use win 7 with win reading my drives as one
post #4 of 30 Old 07-02-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 391
What exactly do you mean by "what happens when I have more storage then ram?" 8TB of storage is about 1000x larger than 8GB of ram. I'd say only a fraction of a percent of people have more ram than storage. Even if you are talking about used storage, or even free space, it's still going to be a tiny fraction of the population who have more ram than any of the storage numbers (total, used or free)

But the vast majority of people are going to have more storage than ram, so if that was causing a problem, I would think a lot more CrashPlan customers would be complaining.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-02-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
What exactly do you mean by "what happens when I have more storage then ram?" 8TB of storage is about 1000x larger than 8GB of ram. I'd say only a fraction of a percent of people have more ram than storage. Even if you are talking about used storage, or even free space, it's still going to be a tiny fraction of the population who have more ram than any of the storage numbers (total, used or free)

But the vast majority of people are going to have more storage than ram, so if that was causing a problem, I would think a lot more CrashPlan customers would be complaining.
Thats what they said. In the ini file there is a glitch that makes crash plan crash if you don't up the ram allocation to more or the same as your storage. 8tb to 8gb of ram, they said they hope to have it fixed by the end of the yr. I understand what your saying but thats the issue currently and I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I'll post the convo as soon as I have it
post #6 of 30 Old 07-02-2014, 04:25 PM

The issue is that CrashPlan is written (inefficiently it seems) in Java. The default Java memory setting it uses is not large enough, so when you hit some limit, it'll keep crashing. I ran into this issue too when I hit ~1TB (might be different, I don't remember) backed up.

See this: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/...ry_And_Crashes

I don't know why they don't just increase the memory setting out of the gate, especially since they say "CrashPlan uses memory up to the maximum allotted. The maximum is used only if it is needed."
post #7 of 30 Old 07-02-2014, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
The issue is that CrashPlan is written (inefficiently it seems) in Java. The default Java memory setting it uses is not large enough, so when you hit some limit, it'll keep crashing. I ran into this issue too when I hit ~1TB (might be different, I don't remember) backed up.

I don't know why they just increase the memory setting out of the gate, especially since they say "CrashPlan uses memory up to the maximum allotted. The maximum is used only if it is needed."
Yes and I had to up it to 8 just to get it to not shutdown dmh
post #8 of 30 Old 07-02-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the convo

Jul 02 03:30 PM

LiveChat conversation transcript:
------------
Name: me
E-mail:
Question or Issue: I have received multiple emails with my back up stuck at 99.4%, and now the program shuts down as soon as i start it.
Ticket number:
Choose a department: CrashPlan for Home or Small Business
------------
Josh S (2014-07-02 20:10:49)
Hell, is there any more information you would like to add while I review your initial question?

me (2014-07-02 20:11:05)
no not at this time

Josh S (2014-07-02 20:13:03)
have you increased the memory allocation?

me (2014-07-02 20:13:23)
when i first started using it months ago yes

Josh S (2014-07-02 20:13:32)
Do you remember to what?

me (2014-07-02 20:13:43)
no

Josh S (2014-07-02 20:14:12)
well, It looks like you have 5 TB selected, so you might want to check its at least 5120

me (2014-07-02 20:14:31)
how do i do that

Josh S (2014-07-02 20:14:42)
https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan...rashes#Windows

Josh S (2014-07-02 20:15:01)
Here is our documentation on that. Let me know if you have questions

me (2014-07-02 20:17:08)
ok i have a total of 8tb so what should i set the number to

me (2014-07-02 20:17:34)
8192?

Josh S (2014-07-02 20:17:58)
yes

me (2014-07-02 20:18:52)
ok is that why it would not say 100% bk up as well?

Josh S (2014-07-02 20:20:50)
There could be several reasons. We talk about them here: http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/...thin_X_Minutes

me (2014-07-02 20:23:04)
ok. Now I have another question, What happens when I add another 2 4tb hdds to my server? Will I have to up my ram just to back up?

Josh S (2014-07-02 20:23:22)
Yes, to keep the cache from crashing the application. We are dealing with this problem in the 4.0 release

me (2014-07-02 20:24:04)
so what happens currently if your system (like mine) only has 8gb of physical ram then what?

Josh S (2014-07-02 20:27:00)
Then unfortunately the limit is 8 TB

me (2014-07-02 20:28:05)
wow i hope yall fix that as well as the cpu usage issue because those problems should not be there

Josh S (2014-07-02 20:28:36)
We should have a release that fixes that problem before the end of the year.

me (2014-07-02 20:30:14)
well i hope its sooner then later and for the customers that are being inconvenienced by this we get some type of coupon for our next yr because this is a bit ridiculous.

Josh S (2014-07-02 20:30:28)
I apologize for the inconvenience. Any more questions I can answer today?

me (2014-07-02 20:30:36)
nope

Josh S (2014-07-02 20:30:47)
Alright, I will close this chat, create a ticket for this chat, and email it to you. If you have any more questions, please contact me via emai.
Have a good rest of your day.
post #9 of 30 Old 07-03-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 148
What they're saying is you need 1GB of RAM allocated per 1TB of storage you're backing up, in other words you need 1/1024th the ram that you have storage, NOT that you need more RAM than storage.

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan...ry_And_Crashes
"Code42 typically recommends allocating 1 GB (1024 MB) of memory per 1 TB of storage (or per 1 million files).​ Although CrashPlan only requires approximately 600 MB of memory per 1 TB of storage (or per 1 million files), our recommendation is intended to account for growth in your file selection."

Interesting to know, but I've not run into that problem because I only backup my personal files and other irreplaceable data to CrashPlan.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 30 Old 07-03-2014, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Yes thats exactly right. Alot of people have a raid mirroring system but there are those like me that dont and I thought this was important to post for those like me
post #11 of 30 Old 07-03-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

RAID/Mirroring aren't backup, but unless you're shooting a lot of photos or video, I don't see where you'd end up with TBs of data that you can't just recover off the original disks you bought and ripped it from.
EricN likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 30 Old 07-03-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
RAID/Mirroring aren't backup, but unless you're shooting a lot of photos or video, I don't see where you'd end up with TBs of data that you can't just recover off the original disks you bought and ripped it from.
Because a lot of people never had the original discs in the first place.
Mfusick likes this.

post #13 of 30 Old 07-03-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well given that such activity is not consistent with this forum's TOS, I assume everything we're talking about here involves legally obtained/produced content.

post #14 of 30 Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Although this particular issue does not pertain to me specifically, I would be impacted by it if I had settled on Crash Plan. I am currently using Storage Spaces under Windows 8.1 in parity mode to store all of my movies and shows. Before parity, I have just a hair under 24 TB worth of movie and television media (and probably another 500 GB of music). All of mine really is honestly obtained from discs. Those discs do sit in numerous Rubbermaid totes. So I potentially could reconstruct my library from the various discs. However, It took me the better part of a year to rip and name every one of those discs. If I can avoid doing that again, all the better.

If I can finally track down a service that provides that level of storage and that won't take 6-8 months to complete with my PC running full-bore the whole time, I absolutely will be investing in an off-property back-up. I do have 10 external HD that currently house all the data, but if something were to happen to my server, then chances are something could have happened to those 11 drives as well. Once users start getting into the multiple TB range, the idea of having to re-rip all the discs becomes a daunting one, especially when there could literally be thousands of TV show discs that have to be broken down into episodes first.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-04-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Because a lot of people never had the original discs in the first place.
Quote:
Well given that such activity is not consistent with this forum's TOS, I assume everything we're talking about here involves legally obtained/produced content.
FWIW, you might not have the discs if they're DVR'd.

I am finding a lot more of my movie collection is coming from DVR'ing vs. buying discs. E.g. my kids love Harry Potter and ABC Family HD runs a marathon every few months so I just DVR'd them and since they're copy-freely I was able to remove the commercials and add them to my collection that way. Now we have the full series but I don't have the discs if something were to ever happen. I do have backups though.

BTW, if you haven't used the Movie Guide in Windows Media Center, it's a great way to find movies that are coming up that are worthy of recording. I never used that feature until about six month ago. Now I check it all the time for things worth recording.

post #16 of 30 Old 07-04-2014, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post
BTW, if you haven't used the Movie Guide in Windows Media Center, it's a great way to find movies that are coming up that are worthy of recording. I never used that feature until about six month ago. Now I check it all the time for things worth recording.
Great tip...I'd forgotten that the Movie Guide was there. Thanks!
post #17 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Although this particular issue does not pertain to me specifically, I would be impacted by it if I had settled on Crash Plan. I am currently using Storage Spaces under Windows 8.1 in parity mode to store all of my movies and shows. Before parity, I have just a hair under 24 TB worth of movie and television media (and probably another 500 GB of music). All of mine really is honestly obtained from discs. Those discs do sit in numerous Rubbermaid totes. So I potentially could reconstruct my library from the various discs. However, It took me the better part of a year to rip and name every one of those discs. If I can avoid doing that again, all the better.
It sounds like you're doing exactly what I do, parity protection to protect the work you spent ripping your recoverable media, and potentially some sort of online backup for stuff that's unrecoverable (digital photos, videos, etc).

Quote:
If I can finally track down a service that provides that level of storage and that won't take 6-8 months to complete with my PC running full-bore the whole time, I absolutely will be investing in an off-property back-up.
But that's kind of my point, for huge quantities of data, that in general, and for practical reasons, are only sourced from commercial optical media (ie ripped movies/TV/music) it's still not generally practical to back it up offsite/online

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post
I am finding a lot more of my movie collection is coming from DVR'ing vs. buying discs. E.g. my kids love Harry Potter and ABC Family HD runs a marathon every few months so I just DVR'd them and since they're copy-freely I was able to remove the commercials and add them to my collection that way. Now we have the full series but I don't have the discs if something were to ever happen. I do have backups though.
Personally if it's something worth keeping, IMO it's worth having in OAR, uncut, without having to remove commercials and without banners/crawlers/logos. Lossless audio and peak PQ are the icing on the cake.

post #18 of 30 Old 07-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
But that's kind of my point, for huge quantities of data, that in general, and for practical reasons, are only sourced from commercial optical media (ie ripped movies/TV/music) it's still not generally practical to back it up offsite/online
It does really seem like it. But with the way cloud storage and cloud computing in general is developing, it shouldn't be too long before offsite/online back-up shouldn't be too far off.
post #19 of 30 Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
But with the way cloud storage and cloud computing in general is developing, it shouldn't be too long before offsite/online back-up shouldn't be too far off.
Once the infrastructure is at the point where it's practical for a home user to shuffle TBs around to remote backup, it also becomes practical to entirely replace the large local fileservers with a PaaS/IaaS cloud provider.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-07-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post
Once the infrastructure is at the point where it's practical for a home user to shuffle TBs around to remote backup, it also becomes practical to entirely replace the large local fileservers with a PaaS/IaaS cloud provider.
I'm all for that. Until then, I'll just keep stacking up the 4 TB external HDD for my back-up. Now that I have my initial rips done, I should only need about 1/year (probably a smidge less) to keep up. Besides, now that I am taking time out of media consumption to build out a custom theatre, my movie acquisition will slow considerably, since I won't have the time to watch any.
post #21 of 30 Old 07-07-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
That's a lot of RAM just to manage backups. I'm currently transferring everything from my HTPC to a dedicated Windows 2012 Hyper-V host and will install Crashplan on one of the Guest VMs. I don't want to allocate that much RAM to the VM.

post #22 of 30 Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's because Crashplan does deduplication on all the backup data to reduce the amount required to be transferred. Crashplan's system requirements are not inconsistent with other systems that use deduplication. I've seen recommendations of 1 to 5GB per TB of storage configured for deduplication:
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Har...ecommendations
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/n...-deduplication

post #23 of 30 Old 07-14-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
That's because Crashplan does deduplication on all the backup data to reduce the amount required to be transferred. Crashplan's system requirements are not inconsistent with other systems that use deduplication. I've seen recommendations of 1 to 5GB per TB of storage configured for deduplication:
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Har...ecommendations
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/n...-deduplication
ZFS just runs (much) slower when your dedup table won't fit in memory. It doesn't crash. It's generally recommended with ZFS to only enable dedup when the dedup table can be made to fit into memory.

At any rate, for my 8tb of storage, increasing the INI setting to 1536 solved the problem.

I wouldn't recommend using CrashPlan or similar online backup services for DVR content, since that changes so quickly. It's great for the rest, though.
post #24 of 30 Old 07-15-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
IMO crashplan is not the place to backup TB's of data. OP stated they had 8TB and 3TB remaining, how long did it take to backup the 5TB? over a month? As most others do, I use crashplan for disaster recovery not as a primary backup that is what a NAS is for. All my movies and tv shows use FlexRAID, if a disk fails im safe, if two disks fail I will loose some data, if there is a fire its gone. However the more important things like my personal videos, photo's and docs are on my NAS in a mirror RAID, and 1 disc goes im safe, 2 disks go, i have crashplan to recover my data, the same goes if there was a fire or stolen. If you do not at least have some parity you are playing with fire because if that 2-4TB disk fails and you are relying on crashplan to recover, it will take a very long time to get that data back since their upload/download rate is not exactly blazing fast. You could shell out $100 to have them ship you a disk but then for that same money you could of created a RAID to protect yourself better. I have nearly 40TB of media, its not practical to backup that on the cloud as your collection grows you will surely see the same issues

Be smart about whats important to you and back up accordingly if your movies and tv shows are really that important then i would suggest a more robust backup solution.

RAID=standard
NAS=backup
offsite=disaster recovery
post #25 of 30 Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

I don't know why they don't just increase the memory setting out of the gate, especially since they say "CrashPlan uses memory up to the maximum allotted. The maximum is used only if it is needed."
I have mine set to back up more than 1TB worth of MP3 and pictures and videos. Should I do something special ? It seems to be working fine.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #26 of 30 Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I have mine set to back up more than 1TB worth of MP3 and pictures and videos. Should I do something special ? It seems to be working fine.
According to the glitch details you would just need to have 1GB of RAM for 1TB of data. At least that was my understanding of the issue.

post #27 of 30 Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So if I have 8GB I should be ok up to 8TB about ? I'm good. I doubt I'll get there... It would take forever. I slowly add a little more back up to my crash plan one piece at a time, starting with pictures and home movies, and moving on to less important stuff.

I doubt I'll get over 8TB though.. that seems like a lot of upload. Perhaps next year or the year after I'll get there. I hate having it eat up my bandwidth anyways, I stream a feed a lot with my server to my parents and family. My internet is fast, but it's still troublesome with crashplan.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #28 of 30 Old 07-15-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So if I have 8GB I should be ok up to 8TB about ? I'm good. I doubt I'll get there... It would take forever. I slowly add a little more back up to my crash plan one piece at a time, starting with pictures and home movies, and moving on to less important stuff.

I doubt I'll get over 8TB though.. that seems like a lot of upload. Perhaps next year or the year after I'll get there. I hate having it eat up my bandwidth anyways, I stream a feed a lot with my server to my parents and family. My internet is fast, but it's still troublesome with crashplan.
Crashplan caps the upload anyway to I think 3Mbps. My problem would be Comcast and the stupid 300GB cap with $10/50GB overage fee.

post #29 of 30 Old 07-15-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't seem to have a cap on mine...

I also get 120 down and 10 up on the cheaper plan

-

post #30 of 30 Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
When you hover over the CrashPlan house icon in the tray, when does it say it last backed up/what do the email summaries say when it was last backed up? If it was recently, then it should still be backing up. The link I posted earlier that you quoted says how to check the log files to see if there's a memory problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
According to the glitch details you would just need to have 1GB of RAM for 1TB of data. At least that was my understanding of the issue.
The glitch is that you need to manually change a configuration file in order to up the RAM limit used by CrashPlan accordingly. Good design on their part
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page