Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 32 Old 07-13-2014, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumadisaster View Post
Just picked up the 8550 tonight for $1796. I have a gtx titan and I'm intrigued at your work and will give it a shot tomorrow and report back. I returned the lg 4k and hope this sammy is better than the sony 4k 49 inch that is $1999.
thanks, let me know how it goes. Curious to see if you have similar results. I compared the cable box and the cablecard at the same time, and used the cable box as the "reference point". Sometimes the differences were very subtle, but the box always edged out the HTPC until I stuck with 2160p @ 60 Hz. It's also important to have vsync on, and inverse telecine on. The rest I think don't make a huge difference in performance or PQ, but you're likely better off having higher quality video settings than performance-based settings, especially with a titan.

The rest depends on what player you use. I use xbmc which is more complex to set up due to the multitude of filters & video settings you can tweak. WMC has almost no customization, but that's a good thing, since it won't try to fight with the TV. The TV already has excellent upscaling and motion handling capabilities, so no need to over-do it in the HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 07-13-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
The rest depends on what player you use. I use xbmc which is more complex to set up due to the multitude of filters & video settings you can tweak. WMC has almost no customization, but that's a good thing, since it won't try to fight with the TV. The TV already has excellent upscaling and motion handling capabilities, so no need to over-do it in the HTPC.
I'm wondering which settings you arrived on here

And here

Acceleration should be enabling HQ scalers at a realistic percentage, and which video scaling method do you have chosen in the Video OSD settings? I think Lanczos 3 would be preferable, and I'm going to assume HW acceleration was already selected in the acceleration settings tab
post #33 of 32 Old 07-13-2014, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
I'm wondering which settings you arrived on here
[IMG]http://wiki.xbmc.org/images/b/b1/Settings.videos.acceleration.png/IMG]

And here
[IMG]http://wiki.xbmc.org/images/e/e7/VideoSettings.png/IMG]

Acceleration should be enabling HQ scalers at a realistic percentage, and which video scaling method do you have chosen in the Video OSD settings? I think Lanczos 3 would be preferable, and I'm going to assume HW acceleration was already selected in the acceleration settings tab
Pic 1
render method - DXVA-HD (I messed with that a lot, found that either auto, DXVA, or DXVA-HD didn't make a huge difference in performance, so I stuck with DXVA-HD).
HQ Scaling - 0% for now. I messed with numbers like 50%, even 100%, but again wasn't one that had big impact on performance
DXVA2 enabled (not sure why the pic you showed has VDADecoder, I dont' have that option)

Pic 2
Deinterlace -off. I have to leave this off, with it set to "on" or "auto", I see obvious artifacts like text shimmering & diagonal lines look like crap.
Scaling method - bicubic. I think that is one of the simplest scaling methods available. If I leave it at auto, the picture totally screws up (unless I set xbmc to run fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen). I know Lanczos 3 is apparently the best, but it unfortunately lowers performance.

Rest is all defaults. I spent weeks playing with diff settings... some of those settings above don't have huge impact on performance and you could probably change & still work fine. The biggest ones for me were to leave de-interlace off, and to have the GPU do all the rendering possible.
Reply Home Theater Computers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page