is it stupid to build a HTPC with a SSD drive only? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 92 Old 07-14-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Well, after some quick testing with some random MKV files I had kicking around...

Exact copy of the original yielded 100% efficiency.
Remuxing (removing chapter markers) resulted in ~99% efficiency.
Remuxing (removed audio track) resulted in ~8% efficiency.

So it appears that the audio and video streams are indeed interleaved in MKV, enough so that block level de-dup doesn't do much for them.

I haven't tried with MP4 or M2TS but I suspect the results will be similar. But it will have to wait until tomorrow because I'm tired and I'm going to bed.

I think I'll also check between containers to see how will that works with the block level de-dup. Since the streams in the containers are the same I wonder how much of the data will be shared differing containers.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 92 Old 07-14-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Well, after some quick testing with some random MKV files I had kicking around...

Exact copy of the original yielded 100% efficiency.
Remuxing (removing chapter markers) resulted in ~99% efficiency.
Remuxing (removed audio track) resulted in ~8% efficiency.

So it appears that the audio and video streams are indeed interleaved in MKV, enough so that block level de-dup doesn't do much for them.

I haven't tried with MP4 or M2TS but I suspect the results will be similar. But it will have to wait until tomorrow because I'm tired and I'm going to bed.

I think I'll also check between containers to see how will that works with the block level de-dup. Since the streams in the containers are the same I wonder how much of the data will be shared differing containers.
All those formats interleave audio and video. I think the main difference will be that different container headers throw the blocks out of alignment. I've seen some systems that handle alignment changes, like rsync and Riverbed Steelhead, but I doubt that it would be worthwhile for CrashPlan to go to that extent.
Reply Home Theater Computers
Gear in this thread - 180GB by PriceGrabber.com