LG 60PB6650 as a PC Monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-06-2014, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG 60PB6650 as a PC Monitor

I've never owned a plasma, how would this work?

Plan to hook the LG Plasma to a htpc and use it in the living room for gaming/video/surfing/etc. Will it burn in or have image retention from the desktop screen? Plan to hide the bottom bar and set the screen saver to kick on after only a few minutes. Anyone have any experience with a plasma or this plasma as a monitor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I don't think this is a good idea. There are too many static images when using a PC (desktop, toolbars, windows, etc.). If I leave a static image up on my Panasonic plasma for more than just a few minutes, I'll get some image retention. The images haven't been permanent (i.e., burned in), and I can use the anti-retention feature to remove them, but I really try not to use the TV as a PC monitor.

I didn't look it up, but if the LG plasma has an anti-retention feature, at least turn it on. You'll know pretty quickly if you're getting any retention.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-06-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have used a plasma with my htpc for years. I auto hide the task bar and all the icons. In case it sits at the desktop for a while, I also have it rotate the wallpapers. That said its not used as a monitor. I might go on the web a little bit but thats just to update something or grab some software.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just be careful on the first 100 hours or so but after that you'll be fine. Plasma's aren't nearly as picky as they used to be. I have no qualms about using my Samsung F8500 as a monitor. Granted the only time mine ever leaves JRiver theater view is to open up PowerDVD. I'd be careful about leaving ESPN up on it all day but for your described activities you should be fine. And it gives you a much better picture than any LCD/LED could ever give you.
Reply Home Theater Computers
Gear in this thread - 60PB6650 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page