About my setup - need help on two cards - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-03-2002, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am setting up a divx file server and a HTPC.

I have a server with shared drives for storage of Divx movies for casual viewing, no AC3 encoded audio but cd quality to a DDII reciever sounds awsome enough for general movies.

My HTPC is my DVD player and dScaler for DSS and PS2 ect...

I need a good graphics card and a sound card or adapter that will pass the sound (stereo, DD and DTS) to my reciever through either optical or coax out...

My biggest requirements on both of these are stable proven cards for win 2kpro.

I need only SVGA out on the video card... And the best dvd playback I can find for the cheapest price. Gaming is not a issue. I would like to go with a ATi radeon of some sort.. What cards are proven and established (good driver sets ect). I dont need the current model cards just proven cards for DVD and would be lower cost to buy the models that are "outdated" by newer models?

As for sound I have read about the USB solutions ect, will this USB pass all audio to my reciever if there is no DTS/DD signal? For instance will it pass the stereo output from a dixv or mp3 to the usb digital output?

I have read of some other lower cost sound PCI boards..Sound Blasters and turtle beach ect.

I am not a audio purist I can except some s/n ratio hike, but want it to be cd quality by the everyday persons standards..and of course pass al the DD and DTS channel information out to the reciever when the media has it and all stereo info when there is no DD or DTS on the digital out.

To give you a idea of what I feel is good sound. I use my PS2 for dvd play back now and it is 100% satisfactory to me..

Thanks to all the forums contrib's for all the great info on these boards... it is positivly great.
Thanks
Jason
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page