Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-07-2014, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
another HTPC Build questions...

After waiting and hoping for a Mac Mini refresh with Haswell, I have run out of time. I need to put together a HTPC by September, so I'm considering the Haswell Nucs.

I want to get the D34010WYK (the shorter, skinnier i3 model) but I have a few questions:

1.) this one comes with the Intel HD 4400. the i5 comes with the HD 5000. How much will this matter? I will NOT be using this for anything besides watching TV via WMC in windows 7 and to watch full BluRay rips (using makemkv) off Plex. I want to be able to get full HD audio support and 24p, but that's really it. As far as I can tell, I can just get away with the i3, and save some power and money, but there's not a huge price difference, would you get the i5? Would I gain anything in video performance?

2.) I know there were some heat issues relating to the wifi card not working great in this shorter skinner model compared to the BOXD34010WYKH1 (the taller one). I am not getting a wifi card, it'll be wired into my network over the gigabit port only. So can I get the smaller one, or are there other issues I'm not aware of with this model? I like the skinner one for purely aesthetic reasons, but I'd much rather go with the BOXD34010WYKH1 if there are other issues relating to stability that I am not aware of. My most pressing concern is stability, above all else. My mom is going to be using this htpc the most, so I dont want to have to troubleshoot things from a thousand miles away.

Thanks
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page