Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie - suggestions on first time media server build

Greetings

I'm hoping to get some feedback on building my first ever media server. I should note that I personally won't be building it. My cousin who loves this stuff will be building it and guiding me through this process. He is going to come up with a build that will fulfill my needs, but being how he is busy and i have some time on my hands, I figured I would get some insight from others with this knowledge.

After explaining to my cousin what I wanted as far as my media needs, he suggested that I do what he is doing and just build a server to network my house rather than an HTPC. He mentioned that he will be using Linux on the server and that it will be a headless server and access will be thru http and ssh. At all TV locations there will be a WD TV where it would access the server and feed my media through. My understanding is that using WD TV will not require transcoding.

My needs are basic, to view 1080p movies, tv shows, and pictures throughout my house (4tvs) via ethernet connection.

So my questions are:
- What hardware do you all suggest i go with given my needs?
- One thing I am concerned about this setup is the multiple TVs accessing the server at the same time. At the very least i will have 3 TVs using the server at the same time. Please account for this in your suggestions.
- One last thing to take into account. Not sure if this will be possible, but at some point i would like to stream my media to my phones, tablets using plex. This will require transcoding, so what, if any other hardware would i need for this to be possible?

Thanks ahead of time for your insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 390
How many HDDs do you want to have? Tower case or rackmount case? Multiple instances of video streaming is easy. Transcoding a single instance of video streaming is easy for any decent dual-core desktop processor. Transcoding multiple 1080p/i video streams simultaneously requires Core i5 or higher.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
How many HDDs do you want to have? Tower case or rackmount case? Multiple instances of video streaming is easy. Transcoding a single instance of video streaming is easy for any decent dual-core desktop processor. Transcoding multiple 1080p/i video streams simultaneously requires Core i5 or higher.
Thank you for your response. I plan to have a tower case and tuck it away under the stairs. I will start off with a 2tb HDD first with up to 4 total storage HDDs.

I want this server to be as energy efficient as possible since it will be running 24/7.

If i recall, I did build a server using PCPicker right under $500 with a i5. Which is what I was projecting to spend on this server.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

CPU: Core i5-4590
MB: MSI H97M-G43 or GIGABYTE GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 (good for not only gaming but server)
Memory: DDR3-1600 2GB x 2 (enough) or 4GB x 2, e.g. G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ or F3-1600C9D-8GAB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics (Haswell), integrated in CPU
SSD: SSD: ADATA SP600 64GB or Crucial MX100 128GB
PSU: Corsair CX-430M (80 PLUS Bronze) or Seasonic SSR-450RM (80 PLUS Gold)
Case: Fractal Design Core 100 or Define Mini

The total cost should be $500-$600. Idle power is ~25W without HDD. (You can wake up the server by "magic packet". Then power is close to zero when not used.)

Aren't you interested in hot-swapping? Silverstone DS380 is a nice mini-ITX case with 8 hot-swap bays:

Total cost would be +$100.
gonzo90017 and phisig360 like this.

Last edited by renethx; 07-12-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
You can wake up the server by "magic packet". Then power is close to zero when not used.
Do you have the HTPC send the magic packet automatically to turn the server on? How does that affect scheduled task like FlexRaid update/validate/verify?
Old 07-13-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkinder83 View Post
Do you have the HTPC send the magic packet automatically to turn the server on?

How does that affect scheduled task like FlexRaid update/validate/verify?
Yes. When MBT is launched in HTPC, magic packet is sent to the server automatically.

No idea.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Yes. When MBT is launched in HTPC, magic packet is sent to the server automatically.

No idea.
After more than 10 years I have shut off my HTPC.

I bought a Western Digital Media player WD TV and a Synology Disk station to replace my computer.
Both devices can use Ethernet or wireless HDMI if needed.

WD - WD TV Live Media Player

Plays anything I throw at it period!

Put it on the home network and just load the Synology with anything you want to
watch. The Western Digital Media player feeds it to your projector or T.V. perfectly.

Use any compatible media server.

My HTPC is now gathering dust

m.
phisig360 likes this.

Last edited by Laredo; 07-13-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
CPU: Core i5-4590
MB: MSI H97M-G43 or GIGABYTE GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 (good for not only gaming but server)
Memory: DDR3-1600 2GB x 2 (enough) or 4GB x 2, e.g. G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ or F3-1600C9D-8GAB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics (Haswell), integrated in CPU
SSD: SSD: ADATA SP600 64GB or Crucial MX100 128GB
PSU: Corsair CX-430M (80 PLUS Bronze) or Seasonic SSR-450RM (80 PLUS Gold)
Case: Fractal Design Core 100 or Define Mini

The total cost should be $500-$600. Idle power is ~25W without HDD. (You can wake up the server by "magic packet". Then power is close to zero when not used.)

Aren't you interested in hot-swapping? Silverstone DS380 is a nice mini-ITX case with 8 hot-swap bays:

Total cost would be +$100.
renethx, thank you for this suggestion on a server build. This actually is very affordable and is likely the route I will go. I especially love the case!!! Thanks again for your insight.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

DS380 supports only a mini-ITX motherboard and a SFX PSU. I recommend:

- MB: GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
- PSU: Silverstone ST30SF (Bronze) or ST45SF-G (Gold)