1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andy_Steb

post #1 of 17 Old 07-12-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HTPC - Which software to use??

Okay, I have now got everything I need to have my HTPC up and running and I have it running using WMC. It is okay but I feel really limited on what WMC has to offer and really want more. I see that there are a lot of other software out there that I can use like Plex, XBMC, the list goes on... but I don't know what would be best to use.... I know that WMC will not be here forever and Microsoft will have a end of life on this software sooner or later.

I really want more options in my HTPC. I really want a lot of features and feel like WMC is lacking a lot of things and feel out dated. I use to have DirecTV and really liked the features they had to offer and how easy on the eyes it was. Another thing I really miss and I am a little annoyed is how my shows are listed and when I play my recorded shows and there is more then one, it doesn't automatically goto the next show that is recorded and I have to chose to play the next one... Another thing is that WMC, if I search for a show and I don't have a subscription to it, it will try to record it and then give me a notification that it cannot record... If it can't record...just don't record it... I don't need to be notified of it...One thing is I really need though out of all these software is to be able to use my XBOX 360 for an extender. Any ideas or any software anyone would recommend or has liked a lot more then WMC.

I guess what I am really asking is more features... software that doesn't feel like it was from yesterday and never will be updated....I don't mind having to take one piece of software and adding more software to it to get what I want.... I really just want to have the idea and perfect setup I guess...Thanks for all the help...

Just some insight to what I have is the Centon ETH 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-12-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 152
First thing you need to do is get all those unsubscribed channels out out the guide.
WMC> tasks> settings> TV> guide> edit channels
uncheck all the ones you don't need.

Give MediaBrowser 3 Classic a try, it integrates well with WMC.
Mfusick likes this.

post #3 of 17 Old 07-12-2014, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Andy_Steb,

Thank you for the info!! This will help a lot for the channels that I don't have... (though I wish I had just one other channel with my cable service... the history channel... it would be nice.. but I am not going to pay all the extra money just for one channel..)

I will give MediaBroswer 3 Classic a try... is there anything else that I could add to WMC to make it more updated and nicer to use?

Is there anyway to play all the recorded series at once without having to play each one after another?

Also is there anyway to get Youtube integrated into WMC.... and if so, is there anyway to get a youtube channel integrated into it as well...I would really like to not have to exit out of WMC and go into Chrome and use youtube...

And what about voice commands? Is there anyway to get voice commands to work in WMC? I have a XBOX one in my living room and I am loving not have to use a remote at all anymore. It is so nice. Never have to worry about losing my remote ever again...

Also is there any other things I can add into WMC to make it better. I really want it to be nicer then it is now. I am not a huge fan of it so far... I did get the logo's on it it so that puts a nice touch to it...

Thank you again.... all help is much appreciated!!
post #4 of 17 Old 07-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRada View Post
...Another thing I really miss and I am a little annoyed is how my shows are listed and when I play my recorded shows and there is more then one, it doesn't automatically goto the next show that is recorded and I have to chose to play the next one...
You can sort the recorded tv programs by their title, that will group all episodes of the same show together.

Not sure what you mean about playing the next show automatically. I have used Tivo, WMC and the DVRs from Cablevision and Fios, and have not seen an option that just plays another recording automatically.

How could it know what you wanted to watch next?

Quote:
I really want more options in my HTPC.

Also is there any other things I can add into WMC to make it better. I really want it to be nicer then it is now.

I guess what I am really asking is more features... software that doesn't feel like it was from yesterday and never will be updated.
You might find this app can add a lot of options and features to WMC: http://www.recordedtvhd.com/
post #5 of 17 Old 07-13-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post
First thing you need to do is get all those unsubscribed channels out out the guide.
WMC> tasks> settings> TV> guide> edit channels
uncheck all the ones you don't need.

Give MediaBrowser 3 Classic a try, it integrates well with WMC.
+1

MB classic is a plugin for WMC that bring it to the next level. You need to also install and set up MB server.

Both are available at the Mediabrowser web pages.

If you want more you can then run MB theater (stand alone product) or even XBMC from your MB server. They also have apps for phones, tablets and all that stuff so you can enjoy on those devices, or even when you are away from home.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
MediaPortal just released version 1.8 and tunes a cablecard as well as MythTV -- both are subject to broadcast flags that WMC has full DRM license. MP also has a huge following of folks developing GUI skins and plug-ins. Look at StreamedMP for one.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
can't setup MB

I would like to try out media browser downloaded from here three differnt times

http://mediabrowser.tv/download/

I tried three times to set it up unsuccessfully here’s theerror message I keep getting

Thanks STB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssmediabrowser.jpg (233.9 KB, 34 views)

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #8 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

I tried three times to set it up unsuccessfully here’s theerror message I keep getting

Thanks STB
That little yellow triangle in your system tray is telling you that you don't have internet access.

post #9 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I DL the MB3 application file w/ my lap top.

then transfer this file to the HTPC (I don't connect HTPC to the net) is this possiable?

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #10 of 17 Old 07-17-2014, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

then transfer this file to the HTPC (I don't connect HTPC to the net) is this possiable?
Yes, it should be possible to download the set-up file and then install it on another PC.

However, MB3 uses the Internet to scrape all the metadata information and also uses the Internet to update itself and grab any plug-ins you might desire. While it is very possible to run a MB3 server and multiple clients without connecting to the Internet (since the multiple clients can talk to the server via the home network) isolating the MB3 server from the Internet is going to limit some of its functionality.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-18-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks STB
You sir need a clean install of windows

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #12 of 17 Old 07-18-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No. You need internet access to make it work.

-

post #13 of 17 Old 07-18-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
One thing is I really need though out of all these software is to be able to use my XBOX 360 for an extender.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in here, but I think that limits you to WMC.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-18-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoJames View Post
Not sure what you mean about playing the next show automatically. I have used Tivo, WMC and the DVRs from Cablevision and Fios, and have not seen an option that just plays another recording automatically.

How could it know what you wanted to watch next?
DirecTV used to have a group play feature like that (maybe they still do). I used it mainly for unattended video capture purposes. I think it played them in order of date recorded. Then they made a software change that made it random and useless. It would also skip whatever you'd already watched, making it useless for video capture. I'm so happy to be rid of DirecTV.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-19-2014, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Yes, it should be possible to download the set-up file and then install it on another PC.

However, MB3 uses the Internet to scrape all the metadata information and also uses the Internet to update itself and grab any plug-ins you might desire. While it is very possible to run a MB3 server and multiple clients without connecting to the Internet (since the multiple clients can talk to the server via the home network) isolating the MB3 server from the Internet is going to limit some of its functionality.
I can connect the HTPC to the net. if it's absolutly nessasary just to install MB3 however I would prefer to not keep it connected to the net. after the install.

The majority of my achived shows are manuel recordings so I don't have synopsis's and cover art, I don't really care about MB3 updating and creating synopsis's because all I have is title unknow about the year show was created ect.

What I'm interested in is cataroizing my recorded TV I'm currently using folders in explorer and I'm having issues w/ some of the folders contents not being displayed.
STB

post #16 of 17 Old 07-19-2014, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
I can connect the HTPC to the net. if it's absolutly nessasary just to install MB3 however I would prefer to not keep it connected to the net. after the install.

The majority of my achived shows are manuel recordings so I don't have synopsis's and cover art, I don't really care about MB3 updating and creating synopsis's because all I have is title unknow about the year show was created ect.

What I'm interested in is cataroizing my recorded TV I'm currently using folders in explorer and I'm having issues w/ some of the folders contents not being displayed.
STB
Once MB3 is installed, you can turn off updates all you want. There's no reason it absolutely has to go online again. But using it in that manner, you lose out on probably 75% of the functionality of MB3. It doesn't matter that your recordings are manual ones without cover art. If you enter the title properly (usually just show/season/episode) MB3 uses the Internet to fill in all the information for you automatically. After getting all the metadata in place, MB3 can then manipulate things like box sets, genres, suggestions, and the like.

You could conceivably leave the HTPC hooked up to the Internet long enough to install MB3, and to let the server populate with your media. Then, once you are happy with the results, you could take it offline. From then on, there would be no need to go online, but anything new you added to the server would need to be manually added by you, including the sort details.

It sounds to me like MB3 might not be your best bet. For one thing, if you are having issues with folders and content not displaying, you'll probably need to correct that first anyway. If you are not looking for any sort of automated system, there are plenty of offline options out there, including just using something like PowereDVD or TMT5, which will do everything you are wanting to do, plus they will also work as a Bluray player should you want to use your HTPC as the primary BR source and retain the menus. Those platforms have the ability to allow the user to pick media to watch/listen to by using the Windows Explorer tree. Most people don't find that ideal, but it sounds somewhat like that is actually what you are looking to do.

Do you mind if I ask why the HTPC cannot be connected to the Internet? That might help with creating a solution for you.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-19-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 318
If you're using WMC, the RecordedTV HD add-on has a ton of category options.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page