Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH ..... personal experience please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH ..... personal experience please

Does anyone have any personal experience with Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH? I am considering adding this to my Media Center System.
If you have other considerations that you think are better just let me know please and keep them within my desires please. No sense in pointing me to something I don't want.

I wanted six channels minimum.
My system is setup with my old Desktop as my MediaCenter Server and my HTPC accesses it via a Cat-5 Connection to my Router. Once I return to the United States from Korea(Military) we are going to build a second HTPC for the Bedroom (Or a 4k HTPC for the living room and the current one will go in the bedroom.) What I want is the Old Desktop, my Media Center, to have all the shows recorded onto that PC. I want to be able to watch all television and recordings from my HTPCS within the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using the eth6. Works fairly good. Every once in a while I get some quirky issues. Like a channel will say subscription required. Then I have to press stop and go to that channel again.

As far as recording on one and watching on another. That will work as long as the channel is copy freely. If it is flagged copy once, like all pay channels, you won't be able to watch it on another htpc. You might look into using extenders if that is functionality you want.
post #3 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Ceton InfiniTV 6 Thread here

Make sure you get the latest Ceton Software/Firmware

Make sure your PC network card and Router is Gigabit. In fact, it's best to use a Gigabit switch and plug ETH6, extenders, and PC into it. Then connect the switch to the router.
Keep an eye on the ETH6 temperature- set it up vertical and put a small fan on it.
Verify the Tuners signal levels. For best results needs to be within +6dBmV to -6dBmV
post #4 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arative View Post
I'm using the eth6. Works fairly good. Every once in a while I get some quirky issues. Like a channel will say subscription required. Then I have to press stop and go to that channel again.

As far as recording on one and watching on another. That will work as long as the channel is copy freely. If it is flagged copy once, like all pay channels, you won't be able to watch it on another htpc. You might look into using extenders if that is functionality you want.
WHy would i need an extender? From what I have read on their website so long as a channel is open it can be used on a different device. I can watch on six computers at once from what their website said. this is why i thought i would be good for setting up all recordings on on pc and then they could all access the same pc for the recordings
post #5 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I think that's called Tuner Pooling. I never tried it.
post #6 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If a show is flagged copy-once, it can only be watched on the PC that recorded it. It cannot be watched on another PC. This limitation doesn't exist if you use an extender, like an XBox360.

This doesn't matter for unrecorded live TV. You should be able to view live TV channels using any PC on the network.
post #7 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon1972 View Post
WHy would i need an extender? From what I have read on their website so long as a channel is open it can be used on a different device. I can watch on six computers at once from what their website said. this is why i thought i would be good for setting up all recordings on on pc and then they could all access the same pc for the recordings
I have a set up similar to what you want. I have a main HTPC that records everything and one in my bedroom that I can watch recorded shows on, as long it is copy freely. I only brought up extenders if you want to be able to have a central recording device with channels that are copy once. It really depends on the cable provider. I have charter and only the pay channels like HBO are copy once.
post #8 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post
Ceton InfiniTV 6 Thread here

Make sure you get the latest Ceton Software/Firmware

Make sure your PC network card and Router is Gigabit. In fact, it's best to use a Gigabit switch and plug ETH6, extenders, and PC into it. Then connect the switch to the router.
Keep an eye on the ETH6 temperature- set it up vertical and put a small fan on it.
Verify the Tuners signal levels. For best results needs to be within +6dBmV to -6dBmV
Does just mynetwork card and router need to be gigabit? wouldnt a gigabit internet plan be more expensive than just getting a dvr from the cable company? that is the main reason the wifey and i are looking at this route. we will most likely be going with comcast and they want 30 bucks a month for the dvrs and only 2bucks a month for the cablecard. but if i need to upgrade my internet plan that high that is expensive, isnt it?
post #9 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does just mynetwork card and router need to be gigabit? wouldnt a gigabit internet plan be more expensive than just getting a dvr from the cable company? that is the main reason the wifey and i are looking at this route. we will most likely be going with comcast and they want 30 bucks a month for the dvrs and only 2bucks a month for the cablecard. but if i need to upgrade my internet plan that high that is expensive, isnt it?
Internet (WAN) speed has nothing to do with your LAN speed.
Just your internal devices need to be gigabit- network cards, switches.
ISP modem/router is not relevant, as long as you connect everything to a gigabit switch.
post #10 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Internet (WAN) speed has nothing to do with your LAN speed.
Just your internal devices need to be gigabit- network cards, switches.
ISP modem/router is not relevant, as long as you connect everything to a gigabit switch.
why would i need the switch then? I could see if im connecting tons of devices but what if its only three computers?
Can anyone make any switch recomendations? Dont know if the wifey is gonna go for this anymore. kinda hard pressed as it is considering the cost of a second htpc and the CableCard device already. lol
So does anyone have a link to a good place to start looking into how all this works together? The networking side I mean. I have a VERY basic understanding of it all and it seems that I may need to learn more.
Were talking I have 2 computer and an atv 2 networked into my router for plex currently. lol

Last edited by Leon1972; 07-13-2014 at 08:01 AM.
post #11 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
why would i need the switch then? I could see if im connecting tons of devices but what if its only three computers?
Can anyone make any switch recomendations? Dont know if the wifey is gonna go for this anymore. kinda hard pressed as it is considering the cost of a second htpc and the CableCard device already. lol
Are the LAN ports on your router gigabit?

It works better using a switch because the router is spending lots of time doing "internet duty". Using a switch ensures the massive amounts of tuner streaming doesn't have to be done by a "busy" router.

I have used this switch for over a year: TrendNet Gigabit Switch $30
post #12 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are the LAN ports on your router gigabit?

It works better using a switch because the router is spending lots of time doing "internet duty". Using a switch ensures the massive amounts of tuner streaming doesn't have to be done by a "busy" router.

I have used this switch for over a year: TrendNet Gigabit Switch $30
ok so that i get but if my internet is only 25 mbps (Im figuring i would have to increase that to a 100mbps connection) then how can such a large capacity switch increase it? wouldnt that create a bottleneck because i have such a small data connection? wouldnt the 100mbps router ports create the same bottleneck?
post #13 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
The 6 ETH also requires a hard wire Ethernet connection http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-ethernet/.

If you buy your own router instead of renting a modem/router combo one from the cable co., it will probably have 4 ports (one for each computer, and one for the Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH). You can use those ports instead of a switch if they are the only devices you want to hard wire. Make sure you get one with gigabit ports. If you want to hard wire anything else via Ethernet (printer, smart TV OR blu ray, AVR, Wii, PS3, XBox, etc.) you'll need a switch since you'll quickly run out of ports on the router. A hard wired connection will always be faster and more stable than WiFi, especially for streaming video.

I found www.smallnetbuilder.com to be helpful. Or google home network. Lots of how to guides out there.

I found that I could get business class unmanaged Netgear switched for about the same price as their consumer switches...small 5-port gigabit switch for $32.18 http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSaf...Netgear+switch.
post #14 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
ok so that i get but if my internet is only 25 mbps (Im figuring i would have to increase that to a 100mbps connection) then how can such a large capacity switch increase it? wouldnt that create a bottleneck because i have such a small data connection? wouldnt the 100mbps router ports create the same bottleneck?
No. Internet sped has nothing to do with the network speed. Internet is WAN (wide area network). Internal is LAN (local area network). WAN speed is your download speed. LAN speed is how fast you can transfer data from one device (6ETH) to another (PC) within the walls of your house. Internet speed doesn't affect sending video over your LAN. You aren't getting the tv signal over the internet. You're using the cable company's digital tv signal via coax and then transferring it from the 6ETH to a PC over Ethernet (LAN).
post #15 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
The 6 ETH also requires a hard wire Ethernet connection http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-ethernet/.

If you buy your own router instead of renting a modem/router combo one from the cable co., it will probably have 4 ports (one for each computer, and one for the Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH). You can use those ports instead of a switch if they are the only devices you want to hard wire. Make sure you get one with gigabit ports. If you want to hard wire anything else via Ethernet (printer, smart TV OR blu ray, AVR, Wii, PS3, XBox, etc.) you'll need a switch since you'll quickly run out of ports on the router. A hard wired connection will always be faster and more stable than WiFi, especially for streaming video.

I found www.smallnetbuilder.com to be helpful. Or google home network. Lots of how to guides out there.

I found that I could get business class unmanaged Netgear switched for about the same price as their consumer switches...small 5-port gigabit switch for $32.18 http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSaf...Netgear+switch.
I do have a router already. I have 5 open ports. I think its gigabit but I would have to check.
WHat I am picturing is if i only have a 25 (or 100mbps connection ill have to upgrade to probably) MB connection then I will only have 25mbps total going to each of my channels, regarles of if it is a 100mbps or gigabit switch, correct?
post #16 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
I do have a router already. I have 5 open ports. I think its gigabit but I would have to check.
WHat I am picturing is if i only have a 25 (or 100mbps connection ill have to upgrade to probably) MB connection then I will only have 25mbps total going to each of my channels, regarles of if it is a 100mbps or gigabit switch, correct?
Not correct. That's just your download speed, and doesn't affect the transfer speed from one PC (or Ethernet tuner) to another.

If your downloading a file from the internet, then yes, the download speed will be limited to 25 Mbps. If your moving files around from one PC to another then the limit is the router or switch (100 Mbps for "fast Ethernet" or 1000 gbps for gigabit Ethernet).
post #17 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No. Internet sped has nothing to do with the network speed. Internet is WAN (wide area network). Internal is LAN (local area network). WAN speed is your download speed. LAN speed is how fast you can transfer data from one device (6ETH) to another (PC) within the walls of your house. Internet speed doesn't affect sending video over your LAN. You aren't getting the tv signal over the internet. You're using the cable company's digital tv signal via coax and then transferring it from the 6ETH to a PC over Ethernet (LAN).
ok. NOW i get it. lol. the name decieved me. i thought the ETH stood for ethernet. it was a confusion in the name of the product. FYI, my limited skills do afford me the knowledge of what a lan, wan, man is. just not the big configuration. lol
post #18 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

So the GIGABIT recomendation is not for the Internet. Its for my networks LAN. I get it now. Thanks!!!!
I got caught up with the eth in the name connecting to the internet.
post #19 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

So they would be connected with eachother and internet and the router would only have one port used. the router would ONLY be used when accesing internet through that one connection.

Router -------------S
HTPC---------------W
HTPC---------------I
ATV----------------T
C
H
post #20 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:28 AM

Well, you almost got it right!

ETH does mean indeed ethernet. That's how it connects to your network. Where you went wrong is that Ethernet doesn't mean internet. It means the communications protocol and hardware.

The alternative to the ETH products from Ceton are internal cards that plug into the motherboard and are for a single PC (they can be shared, but that's beside the point). Think of the ETH as a stand alone TV tuner that's a network "resource" like a shared printer that's plugged into your router, and isn't dedicated to a single PC.
post #21 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

I dont want the heat internal and I like the idea of it being network dependent. not computer dependent.
post #22 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
So they would be connected with eachother and internet and the router would only have one port used. the router would ONLY be used when accesing internet through that one connection.

Router -------------S
HTPC---------------W
HTPC---------------I
ATV----------------T
C
H
Something like that, yes. Think of the switch as a port-multiplier for the router. It adds ethernet ports and takes some of the switching load off the router so it can better route internet traffic, as mentioned before. Get an unmanaged switch with more ports than you think you'll need, because you'll find a use for them.
post #23 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

is the purpose of a dual ethernet mobo one for the lan and one for the internet?
post #24 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:45 AM

That's one use, yes. They can also be "teamed" which increases throughput. Multiple NICs (network interface controllers aka Ethernet cards or ports) can also be used for specific purposes that are beyond what you're wanting to do.

For basic internet browsing, HTPC use, and file sharing between PCs, dual NICs aren't needed. This would add multiple layers of complexity and really takes networking to another level.

Last edited by dfkimbro; 07-13-2014 at 08:49 AM.
post #25 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

My wife and I are also considering just getting one of the media extenders and using my old paperweight ps3 instead of a second HTPC build. Would I still get same 1080p quality out of it as i would a second htpc? I would like to hold off on pulling the trigger on a second HTPC till we get our 4k TV and then build one around that instead of using first gen 4k hardware if it would still be good quality with the ps3.
post #26 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's one use, yes. They can also be "teamed" which increases throughput. Multiple NICs (network interface controllers aka Ethernet cards or ports) can also be used for specific purposes that are beyond what you're wanting to do.
Thanks. GOod to know. If I end up upgrading my Server PC then I will have to keep that in mind and make sure it gets two. of course the non-workhorse htpc has two. lol.
post #27 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

and hey, what do you know!!!! My router is rated in the top routers off your website link. Guess it is a gigabit.
HOw do i know if my equip is DHCP?
post #28 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 09:07 AM

Which router (make/model)? How old is it?

It's DHCP. That how it assigns the addresses to your PCs. I doubt you can buy a consumer router that doesn't have DHCP function.
post #29 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Once I return to the United States from Korea(Military) we are going to build a second HTPC for the Bedroom (Or a 4k HTPC for the living room and the current one will go in the bedroom.)
By the way...THANK YOU for your service to our country!
post #30 of 45 Old 07-13-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Which router (make/model)? How old is it?

It's DHCP. That how it assigns the addresses to your PCs. I doubt you can buy a consumer router that doesn't have DHCP function.
It's a net gear 6250

And thank you. No it's hdcp. It said hdcp compliant graphics card or inboard graphics.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page