• 1 Post By blueiedgod
  • 1 Post By stamina1914

post #1 of 21 Old 07-13-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HTPC only showing "Starting Windows"

I just added some more 2 more 2TB HDD to my CPU. Micro Center $69.99 a pop. I did everything via assassins guide and it worked, when I turned off the CPU to do my cable management and and then turned it back on my cpu is just sitting there in the starting windows screen. Now to be fair, I did power done my cpu in the middle of the CPU installing updates. A) I didn't want updates installed because they always screw up my settings and B, there was something like 35 updates that need to get installed. Obviously, this did something to the CPU.

IS there a way I cans start the CPU in safe mode and get it back up and running again. Another problem is that my cpu is set to sleep after 2 mins. So after during the "starting windows" screen, the CPU always goes to sleep. Can anyone assist?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-13-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post
I just added some more 2 more 2TB HDD to my CPU. Micro Center $69.99 a pop. I did everything via assassins guide and it worked, when I turned off the CPU to do my cable management and and then turned it back on my cpu is just sitting there in the starting windows screen. Now to be fair, I did power done my cpu in the middle of the CPU installing updates. A) I didn't want updates installed because they always screw up my settings and B, there was something like 35 updates that need to get installed. Obviously, this did something to the CPU.

IS there a way I cans start the CPU in safe mode and get it back up and running again. Another problem is that my cpu is set to sleep after 2 mins. So after during the "starting windows" screen, the CPU always goes to sleep. Can anyone assist?

Thanks
So I realized that I can start the CPU in safe mode. It seems as if the CPU is picking up the issue, the problem is now my keyboard and mouse are not responding so that I can click on repair to fix the problem.

Thoughts?
post #3 of 21 Old 07-13-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914
Thoughts?
In the future when it says 'Installing Updates, Do Not Turn Computer Off' follow instructions? You can always go to 'Add Remove Programs' and remove any unwanted updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 21 Old 07-14-2014, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone...Thx.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-14-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I think you're supposed to mash F8 during startup to boot Windows in Safe Mode, but a simple web search should reveal whick key(s) you need to press. If Windows fails to start, you may get the Safe Mode prompt automatically the next time you try to turn the PC on, too.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-14-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

the safe mode works kind of..... in safe mode when it asks if to repair cpu, my mouse and key board are not responding to click yes.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
the safe mode works kind of..... in safe mode when it asks if to repair cpu, my mouse and key board are not responding to click yes.
If it's prompting you to do a repair, I don't think that is "Safe Mode" It sounds more like "Startup Repair" which might happen if your boot order has changed.

You might try disconnecting the new drives to see if it will boot normally, if it does, let Windows Update finish whatever it was doing, and make sure everything is working normally, then try plugging the drives back in. At that point you'll probably need to go into the system BIOS and make sure that your original drive is still set ahead of the other drives in the boot order.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-14-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
If it's prompting you to do a repair, I don't think that is "Safe Mode" It sounds more like "Startup Repair" which might happen if your boot order has changed.

You might try disconnecting the new drives to see if it will boot normally, if it does, let Windows Update finish whatever it was doing, and make sure everything is working normally, then try plugging the drives back in. At that point you'll probably need to go into the system BIOS and make sure that your original drive is still set ahead of the other drives in the boot order.
Excellent advice, usually ESC or DEL to get to the bios before you see any windows screens

Quote:
So I realized that I can start the CPU in safe mode. It seems as if the CPU is picking up the issue, the problem is now my keyboard and mouse are not responding so that I can click on repair to fix the problem
See above, and in the interest of others understanding you more clearly . . . cpu is most commonly used to refer to your processor only, when referring to an entire computer you'd usually use pc or, in the case of this forum where they are home theater centric, htpc
post #9 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
It's probably trying to figure out where it left off with the update when you powered it off. Let it sit there overnight, and see if it figures it self out.

If you were in the middle of service pack installation, you may have damaged it beyond repair, and may need to re install the OS
Mfusick likes this.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #10 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
It's probably trying to figure out where it left off with the update when you powered it off. Let it sit there overnight, and see if it figures it self out.

If you were in the middle of service pack installation, you may have damaged it beyond repair, and may need to re install the OS
This.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
So I realized that I can start the CPU in safe mode. It seems as if the CPU is picking up the issue, the problem is now my keyboard and mouse are not responding so that I can click on repair to fix the problem.

Thoughts?

Is your mouse and keyboard hard wired or wireless?
post #12 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
Is your mouse and keyboard hard wired or wireless?
Its wireless, but I did tried a wired mouse afterwords, still no luck.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Well I've powered down the PC ever since. It do seem to make sense to to keep it on if it only falls asleep. I'll try to unplug the 2 new hard drives that I added two days ago to see what happens.

To confirm, if I do need to reinstall Windows, it was currently stored on my SSD. But I still have the Disc. I would have to go to the Bios and set the PC to boot from the Disc Drive? Would the Damage version of windows that is currently on the boot drive automatically erase? Lastly I guess I would have to go back up and set everything back up again on my CPU... I believe I did create a back up/restore Disc per Assassins recommendation. If I did, do I simply pop this disc in the drive and go from there?
post #14 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Its wireless, but I did tried a wired mouse afterwords, still no luck.

I was wondering about that issue. I can not do a restore from my external hard drive when I use a wireless mouse an keypad. I have to boot with my wired mouse and keypad installed prior to boot in order to do a system restore from my external hard drive.

I do a full C drive backup at least twice a year. My C drive only holds Windows and programs, with data on other drives or partitions.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I've powered down the PC ever since. It do seem to make sense to to keep it on if it only falls asleep. I'll try to unplug the 2 new hard drives that I added two days ago to see what happens.

To confirm, if I do need to reinstall Windows, it was currently stored on my SSD. But I still have the Disc. I would have to go to the Bios and set the PC to boot from the Disc Drive? Would the Damage version of windows that is currently on the boot drive automatically erase? Lastly I guess I would have to go back up and set everything back up again on my CPU... I believe I did create a back up/restore Disc per Assassins recommendation. If I did, do I simply pop this disc in the drive and go from there?

I kept my old OS hard drive as a backup for my backups. A bit out of date now, but better than nothing if both my C drive and my backups go bad at the same time. What did you do with the original hard drive that the OS was installed on?

Now that I think about it, it is time for me to do a full OS backup again.

I also have the original system backup stored on some DVDs, but I have never tried to use them.

Last edited by J_Palmer_Cass; 07-15-2014 at 04:12 PM.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I kept my old OS hard drive as a backup for my backups. A bit out of date now, but better than nothing if both my C drive and my backups go bad at the same time. What did you do with the original hard drive that the OS was installed on?

Now that I think about it, it is time for me to do a full OS backup again.

I also have the original system backup stored on some DVDs, but I have never tried to use them.
Nothing I installed windows 7 from the Disc to my SSD. So I never had/have a old HDD.
I'm hoping that I can pop the windows 7 disc that I had back in the PC and download it again if need be?.?
post #17 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nothing I installed windows 7 from the Disc to my SSD. So I never had/have a old HDD.
I'm hoping that I can pop the windows 7 disc that I had back in the PC and download it again if need be?.?

How about the Assassin backup? You will have to get into the bios and make sure that you boot first from your PC disc player.

Time to get with a OS backup plan don't you think? Full OS backups have saved my life a few times over the years.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How about the Assassin backup? You will have to get into the bios and make sure that you boot first from your PC disc player.

Time to get with a OS backup plan don't you think? Full OS backups have saved my life a few times over the years.
I'm pretty sure that I have a back up disc. Do i just boot the PC from that disc and let her go?
post #19 of 21 Old 07-17-2014, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I have a back up disc. Do i just boot the PC from that disc and let her go?
Before you start worrying about restoring from backup, what happened when you disconnected the new drives and went back to your original configuration?

I strongly suggest trying that before you attempting a backup anyway as Windows Backup has been known to throw errors if you have a different drive configuration from when you created the backup so you'll still likely have to disconnect those drives anyway.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-17-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'll work on it this weekend. As of right now, I simply have not had the time to dive into fixing it yet. I will keep the board posted.
post #21 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Before you start worrying about restoring from backup, what happened when you disconnected the new drives and went back to your original configuration?

I strongly suggest trying that before you attempting a backup anyway as Windows Backup has been known to throw errors if you have a different drive configuration from when you created the backup so you'll still likely have to disconnect those drives anyway.
Well we have a winner. I disconnected the hard drives and did a system restore. This time my mouse worked and I was able to click to "restore". When the restore was completed, I connected my hard drives back to the MB. We started my PC and everything is back and working normally and windows can still see my new HDDs

Thanks for the help.
ajhieb likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page