New HTPC. What's needed for 1080p / DTS HD-MA playback? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 07-14-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
New HTPC. What's needed for 1080p / DTS HD-MA playback?

I have been wanting to build a HTPC for quite some time now, but kept putting it off. I have built multiple gaming PCs in the past but this is my first time building a HTPC and I honestly have no idea what is needed to get smooth audio and video playback. I've searched for suggestions, but hardware moves so fast that even a 6 month old post is now outdated. The most demanding content I'll run is 1080p movies with DTS-HD audio in which the file size is usually around 12-15gb. I have no need for 3D playback, gaming, or 4k at this time. My plan is to just play movies off of a shared hard drive from my desktop, although I am not sure if that would be a bottleneck at all. Any thoughts there? I'd have to imagine that many members on here are just using network storage though.

Here are my general requirements for a HTPC.
- Run 1080p / DTS-HD movies smoothly.
- Quiet enough where I can't hear it over normal listening volume. It doesn't have to be silent though.
- Slim / Sleek looking case that wouldn't look out of place with my other components.
- IR control so I can use my Harmony remote for controlling whatever front end UI I decide to go with. Most likely XBMC though.
- Preferably under $500 but am willing to go higher so I dont make compromises somewhere. I do not need Windows or media drives which should help with the cost. I also have a spare GTX 460 that I have from an old computer that I could use if needed.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-14-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Neither of those are "special" or difficult to accomplish any longer.

The AMD Richland and Intel Haswell CPUs can do both without an added video card. 1080p playback and HD audio bitstreaming (assuming you have a receiver capable of accepting the bitstream).

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 32 Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
Neither of those are "special" or difficult to accomplish any longer.

The AMD Richland and Intel Haswell CPUs can do both without an added video card. 1080p playback and HD audio bitstreaming (assuming you have a receiver capable of accepting the bitstream).

That is great to hear! Receiver is a Denon X4000, so can do bitstreaming. Do you think something like the i5-4570 would work or is that excessive? Also, what about motherboards? Any specific chipset I should aim for or certain features of a motherboard that are better for HTPCs? I'll most likely pick up a new SSD for my desktop and then put my Crucial M4 into the HTPC and use the network drives for media. Lastly, any suggestions on cases? Since I dont plan to put my media drives into the HTPC, I could probably get a relatively small case, I'm just not familiar with HTPC cases.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
post #4 of 32 Old 07-14-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post
That is great to hear! Receiver is a Denon X4000, so can do bitstreaming. Do you think something like the i5-4570 would work or is that excessive? Also, what about motherboards? Any specific chipset I should aim for or certain features of a motherboard that are better for HTPCs? I'll most likely pick up a new SSD for my desktop and then put my Crucial M4 into the HTPC and use the network drives for media. Lastly, any suggestions on cases? Since I dont plan to put my media drives into the HTPC, I could probably get a relatively small case, I'm just not familiar with HTPC cases.
get this, along with ram and an ssd:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DisplayP...eywords=i3+nuc

it'll do everything you want and come in under $500
post #5 of 32 Old 07-14-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Core i5 is mostly overkill. Celeron G1840 with integrated GPU, $45, and a B85/H81/H87/Z87/H97/Z97 chipset mb (with a HDMI connector) is enough. If you want to play BR 3D, then go with AMD A6-6400K with A78/A88X chipset mb or Core i3-4130. A couple of cases:

Mini-ITX

Antec ISK110 VESA
IN WIN BQS656
Antec ISK 300-150 / ISK 310-150
IN WIN BP655 / BP671
Silverstone ML05/ML06

MicroATX

IN WIN BL040 / BL672
Lian Li PC-C37
Silverstone Milo ML03 / Milo ML04
Silverstone GD04 / GD05 / GD06
Mfusick and Dark_Slayer like this.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-14-2014, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll look into some of these. I was unaware I could pick up something that would work for this cheap. What is the purpose of some people buying i7's and SLI GPUs for their HTPC if an i3 would be fine?

post #7 of 32 Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[QUOTE=swargolet;25750257]Thanks for all the help guys! I'll look into some of these. I was unaware I could pick up something that would work for this cheap. What is the purpose of some people buying i7's and SLI GPUs for their HTPC if an i3 would be fine?[/QUOTe

this is all you need..u can get them on newegg.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/.../overview.html

Don Lynch
post #8 of 32 Old 07-14-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 228
Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys! I'll look into some of these. I was unaware I could pick up something that would work for this cheap. What is the purpose of some people buying i7's and SLI GPUs for their HTPC if an i3 would be fine?
i7 is generally only for the following
  • gaming
  • plex server

Even for those there are basic requirements that put an i5 as the more appropriate choice, so knowledgable folks would get the i5 unless they knew they needed an i7. For example, if you are just going to transcode one movie at a time with your plex server then you can get by with less than an i3. 3-4 -> i5. 5+? Then you may need an i7. Other example, if your plan is to game on a moderate budget (i.e. at 1080p) then a 760+i5 might be your choice. Some folks will still just recommend an i7 (even though unless you upgrade the GPU as well it wont make worthwhile fps differences at 1080p for nearly any game)

On average, buying overkill is easier than understanding minimum requirements
post #9 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
i7 is generally only for the following
  • gaming
  • plex server

Even for those there are basic requirements that put an i5 as the more appropriate choice, so knowledgable folks would get the i5 unless they knew they needed an i7. For example, if you are just going to transcode one movie at a time with your plex server then you can get by with less than an i3. 3-4 -> i5. 5+? Then you may need an i7. Other example, if your plan is to game on a moderate budget (i.e. at 1080p) then a 760+i5 might be your choice. Some folks will still just recommend an i7 (even though unless you upgrade the GPU as well it wont make worthwhile fps differences at 1080p for nearly any game)

On average, buying overkill is easier than understanding minimum requirements
Ah makes sense. I went completely overkill with my last gaming build in terms of CPU and motherboard, although I'm glad I did as it is standing the test of time. I ended up buying a 2600K and OCed it to 4.4Ghz. The only thing that ever maxes it out is transcoding movies when I do DLNA to my TV. Nothing else even comes close to maxing it out.

post #10 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Ah makes sense. I went completely overkill with my last gaming build in terms of CPU and motherboard, although I'm glad I did as it is standing the test of time. I ended up buying a 2600K and OCed it to 4.4Ghz. The only thing that ever maxes it out is transcoding movies when I do DLNA to my TV. Nothing else even comes close to maxing it out.
I will say that, in my experience, you will not want to get the minimum on CPU. For the most part, the minimums will work, but things that aren't able to decode in hardware will cripple the cpu. Also, the new HD codec (x.265 ??) will cripple a cpu that is on the low end. I have several PCs that I do bluray on. (2) of them have an AMD e-300 and an AMD A4. While the A4 is noticeably faster, when trying to do the above... it is unwatchable. I would think any i5 or higher-end i3 should be fine though. AMD would be worth looking at due to the price in my opinion. Again, if the hardware is built to decode the codecs... I haven't had a single issue with my lower-end cpus.. If I could change my decisions at this point, I would have full-blown cpus in each of my htpc systems. It's not worth the headache fighting with settings to get the cpu to barely play a specific movie. Spend another $50 and save yourself allot of grief in the long run.
Just my .02
post #11 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawns1234 View Post
I will say that, in my experience, you will not want to get the minimum on CPU. For the most part, the minimums will work, but things that aren't able to decode in hardware will cripple the cpu. Also, the new HD codec (x.265 ??) will cripple a cpu that is on the low end. I have several PCs that I do bluray on. (2) of them have an AMD e-300 and an AMD A4. While the A4 is noticeably faster, when trying to do the above... it is unwatchable. I would think any i5 or higher-end i3 should be fine though. AMD would be worth looking at due to the price in my opinion. Again, if the hardware is built to decode the codecs... I haven't had a single issue with my lower-end cpus.. If I could change my decisions at this point, I would have full-blown cpus in each of my htpc systems. It's not worth the headache fighting with settings to get the cpu to barely play a specific movie. Spend another $50 and save yourself allot of grief in the long run.
Just my .02

Thanks! This is exactly the type of advice I'm looking for. Main reason I'm looking at a HTPC is to remove the slowness I sometimes get with DLNA on my TV, so I for sure don't want any possibility of slowness on a HTPC. I'll most likely end up getting a mid-range i5 then as I have no problem spending a couple hundred extra just to have the peace of mind knowing it will all work flawlessly. I'm leaning more towards also buying a blu-ray drive so I want to make sure that I can play blu-rays without a problem too. How would I know if the hardware supports certain codecs? I've never seen it listed with CPUs or other hardware.

post #12 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The current hardware supports all the current legacy codecs - MPEG2, MPEG4/xVid, H264, VC1.

HEVC (aka H265) is brand new on the scene in the last few months. It will probably be on the next iteration of bluray, and will probably become the standard for streaming (unless Google gets their say - they have a competing codec) The only place I really know HEVC to be used right now is by Netflix on their 4K streaming, and it only works on new UHD televisions with HEVC decoders.

I've read some contradictory things about what PC hardware supports HEVC and how, but its safe to say its not a mainstream feature yet. I think it will be in the next generation or two of PC components (integrated graphics and video cards).

If you dig into a video card's specs you will see what video formats it can decode with the hardware. Anything it can't do (like HEVC on many/most/all? chips) right now will need to be down in software, which ties up the CPU.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #13 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks! This is exactly the type of advice I'm looking for. Main reason I'm looking at a HTPC is to remove the slowness I sometimes get with DLNA on my TV, so I for sure don't want any possibility of slowness on a HTPC. I'll most likely end up getting a mid-range i5 then as I have no problem spending a couple hundred extra just to have the peace of mind knowing it will all work flawlessly. I'm leaning more towards also buying a blu-ray drive so I want to make sure that I can play blu-rays without a problem too. How would I know if the hardware supports certain codecs? I've never seen it listed with CPUs or other hardware.
Actually it is extremely hard to find a FHD file that Celeron G1840 can't decode in software mode, whatever codec (MPEG-2, VC1, AVC=H.264, MVC [BR 3D codec], HEVC=H.265 etc.) it is encoded with. If you see stuttering with Celeron, then it's not because CPU is weak but for other reasons (video playback is a complicated process and decoding by CPU [should you choose software decoding] is just one of the many steps).

On the other hand when UHD resolution is involved, it is relatively easy to find HEVC-encoded files that even Core i5 can't decode in software mode, only Core i7 (non-S/T) desktop processors can decode them.

As you are not interested in 3D (coded with MVC) nor 4K (AVC and HEVC), I can assure Celeron G1840 is enough. Core i5 is a good choice if you are interested in SVP (Smooth Video Project) and/or transcoding multiple video streams and/or multi-tasking (rare in a HTPC) and they are the only reasons why I would choose Core i5.
Dark_Slayer likes this.

Last edited by renethx; 07-15-2014 at 09:51 AM.
post #14 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

How does this build look?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pxLwyc

I struggled trying to find a power supply since the case can't fit a normal sized power supply and an optical drive. Only one I found that I liked was the one built by Silverstone. I went with the gold power rating to hopefully help with heat. It seems somewhat expensive for a power supply, so does anyone know a different one that would work well for this build?

For the SSD, I'm actually planning on buying the Samsung 840 EVO 500GB to put in my current desktop and then take the crucial M4 that I currently have and put it in the HTPC. That's why it shows the m4 on there even though it is an older drive now.

I ended up going with the top of the line i5 although didn't get the unlocked one since the motherboard I choose can't OC anyways, so it would've been wasted money. The i5 should drive everything I'd ever need it to, although I'm not sure if it is crazy overkill. I'm mainly worried that if I went with an i3, that I could possibly experience slowdowns. I also ended up going with an ASRock H87 motherboard mainly because I like ASRock and based on another thread on read on here, Z87 is pretty much useless for a HTPC.

At the moment I do not have a blu-ray drive picked out, but will most likely add one down the road. Is there anything else that I may be missing?

post #15 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
Actually it is extremely hard to find a FHD file that Celeron G1840 can't decode in software mode, whatever codec (MPEG-2, VC1, AVC=H.264, MVC [BR 3D codec], HEVC=H.265 etc.) it is encoded with.

On the other hand when UHD resolution is involved, it is relatively easy to find HEVC-encoded files that even Core i5 can't decode in software mode, only Core i7 (non-S/T) desktop processors can decode them.

As you are not interested in 3D (coded with MVC) nor 4K (AVC and HEVC), Celeron G1840 is enough. Core i5 is a good choice if you are interested in SVP (Smooth Video Project) and/or transcoding multiple video streams and/or multi-tasking (rare with a HTPC) and they are the only reason why I would choose Core i5.
Thanks for the heads up. I shouldn't have stated that I wasn't looking for 3D as it is a plus to have it but not necessary at all. I've watched maybe two 3D movies in the past 2 years on this TV. I have heard about SVP and am interested in it. I do like to tinker with things, so it would be nice knowing that the equipment I have can handle my tinkering. I've also considered doing an ambient light setup, although not sure how intense that'd be on a HTPC to process. I don't believe I'd ever be transcoding with the HTPC. If I ever had to, then I'd just use my desktop. As you can see in my post above, the i5 is the most expensive piece of the build, so if you think it is that much overkill and something else would suit me better, please suggest a different processor as it would be nice to lower the overall cost a bit. I just want to be 100% sure that I won't experience performance issues.

post #16 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's a fine build, but it's also a lot of work putting all that together. An intel nuc does everything your build does, with less hassle and cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DisplayP...s=intel+nuc+i5

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengea...7MVKBDGQZ5C7B9

$359 for the i5 cpu, case, mobo, and psu; $90 for 8gb of ram, and you come in under $450. 15% less than your projected build...
post #17 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If XBMC is your target front end, and you are hosting all your data elsewhere on your network, you should really give the Asus Chromebox a look. This is -unless the world drastically changes in the next month- my next HTPC box.

There are relatively easy guides to installed linux / xbmc along side or over top of Chrome OS (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194362). The 16GB SSD version starts at $170 on Amazon, and the Celeron 2955U (Haswell) seems to have plenty of juice for a HTPC. There is no IR built into the box (the one downside) so you would need to add that.

If you get the i3 version, its supposed to be 4k capable, and is still way on $500. Future proof and transcoding friendly at that point, for around 2x the price.

-And I forgot- If you are a Netflix user, pipelight on linux will get you that and this box seems to play that just fine.

Last edited by xi_slick_ix; 07-15-2014 at 10:04 AM.
post #18 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Main reason I'm looking at a HTPC is to remove the slowness I sometimes get with DLNA on my TV, so I for sure don't want any possibility of slowness on a HTPC
What kind of slowness are you talking about with dlna? Navigating a smart tv menu sucks on pretty much every tv out there. They use arm chips with the primary focus on upscaling and motion interpolation, but then try to lump in everything under the sun feature sets with poor coding, low ram, and weak old arm processors that are not as powerful as 2014 tablets/smartphones

That will not be the case with an htpc, and you don't need an i5 to prevent that. Often the bottleneck in your htpc will be disk io or ram bandwidth (amount of ram doesnt help). Those symptoms can cause slowdowns with a celeron or i7

No reason to think an i5 or better will future proof for hevc either. A separate gpu will likely take care of everything at that point
post #19 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
How does this build look?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pxLwyc

I struggled trying to find a power supply since the case can't fit a normal sized power supply and an optical drive. Only one I found that I liked was the one built by Silverstone. I went with the gold power rating to hopefully help with heat. It seems somewhat expensive for a power supply, so does anyone know a different one that would work well for this build?

For the SSD, I'm actually planning on buying the Samsung 840 EVO 500GB to put in my current desktop and then take the crucial M4 that I currently have and put it in the HTPC. That's why it shows the m4 on there even though it is an older drive now.

I ended up going with the top of the line i5 although didn't get the unlocked one since the motherboard I choose can't OC anyways, so it would've been wasted money. The i5 should drive everything I'd ever need it to, although I'm not sure if it is crazy overkill. I'm mainly worried that if I went with an i3, that I could possibly experience slowdowns. I also ended up going with an ASRock H87 motherboard mainly because I like ASRock and based on another thread on read on here, Z87 is pretty much useless for a HTPC.

At the moment I do not have a blu-ray drive picked out, but will most likely add one down the road. Is there anything else that I may be missing?
ASRock H87M is ok, but two PCI slots are a waste of space unless you are still going to use PCI devices. Check MSI H97M-G43.

Silverstone ST45SF-G is actually one of the best PSUs.

Masscool 2500rpm 80mm fan: Avoid it. This will be the main source of the noise. Personally I can tolerate only <=1200-1400rpm. Well, perhaps you won't need case fans (as the power consumption of your system at video playback is only 40W-60W) or buy quieter ones such as Noctua NF-R8.

SVP without a discrete graphics card won't work satisfactorily. Should you be interested in 3D, Core i3-4130 is a good choice. Otherwise Celeron/Pentium is enough.

Last edited by renethx; 07-15-2014 at 10:37 AM.
post #20 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 660
I keep checking your signature to see if this thread get's an update

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #21 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
What kind of slowness are you talking about with dlna? Navigating a smart tv menu sucks on pretty much every tv out there. They use arm chips with the primary focus on upscaling and motion interpolation, but then try to lump in everything under the sun feature sets with poor coding, low ram, and weak old arm processors that are not as powerful as 2014 tablets/smartphones

That will not be the case with an htpc, and you don't need an i5 to prevent that. Often the bottleneck in your htpc will be disk io or ram bandwidth (amount of ram doesnt help). Those symptoms can cause slowdowns with a celeron or i7

No reason to think an i5 or better will future proof for hevc either. A separate gpu will likely take care of everything at that point
The menus on my TV (Panasonic GT50) are actually very smooth. The slowness I get is only with high quality 1080p movies with DTS-HD audio. During intense scenes, such as the fight scene at the end of Enders Game, the video will start to stutter and the audio will cut out. Once it becomes a little less crazy, it will come back.

I made sure to get the fastest RAM that the motherboard supports DDR3-1600 and an SSD for the OS and any other applications that may be running. Main reason for the SSD though would be for a quick boot-up. I'll make sure to look into other processors as well. I just want to make 100% sure that I won't be limiting myself in any way for what I want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
ASRock H87M is ok, but two PCI slots are a waste of space unless you are still going to use PCI devices. Check MSI H97M-G43.

Silverstone ST45SF-G is actually one of the best PSUs.

Masscool 2500rpm 80mm fan: Avoid it. This will be the main source of the noise. Personally I can tolerate only <=1200-1400rpm. Well, perhaps you won't need case fans (as the power consumption of your system at video playback is only 40W-60W) or buy quieter ones such as Noctua NF-R8.

SVP without a discrete graphics card won't work satisfactorily. Should you be interested in 3D, Core i3-4130 is a good choice. Otherwise Celeron/Pentium is enough.
What makes that MSI board better? It also has 2 PCI slots, is there something else that makes this one better than the ASRock for a HTPC?

Hmm. I wouldve thought that <30dB would be pretty quiet. I guess I could just go fanless initially and if I need a fan just pick one up with Amazon Prime.

I'll look more into the i3s to see what type of cost savings I'll have by going that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I keep checking your signature to see if this thread get's an update
Heh. I'll most likely purchase it all before the end of the week.

Last edited by swargolet; 07-15-2014 at 12:23 PM.
post #22 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

What DLNA server are you using? For the time being maybe you could adjust the settings to lower the transcoded resolution. That would be easier on your CPU.

My HTPC front end set up
post #23 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What DLNA server are you using? For the time being maybe you could adjust the settings to lower the transcoded resolution. That would be easier on your CPU.
I'm using Serviio. My CPU isn't a problem during transcoding as I have a 2600K overclocked to over 4Ghz. For about 15 minutes every core is spiked at 100% as I believe it transcodes the whole movie right away and then streams it over. The scene at the end of Enders Game was far enough into the movie where it is just streaming the content at that point. My guess is that the TV couldn't handle it all. Either way, it doesn't really matter as I dont want to continue using DLNA. I just have too many issues with incompatible media formats as Panasonic isn't very good with a lot of different ones and I don't get DTS-HD over DLNA. Seems pointless to spend all this money on Audio and Video equipment and then not get the full quality.

post #24 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
In case it matters to you, installation of my software will enable the use of the Windows Explorer 'Play To' functionality (dlna) to use the LAV filters for playback of MKV files but only on Windows 8.1. There is no transcoding involved. This means that bitstreaming of HD audio over dlna is possible too, I think. I do not own the hardware to test that theory.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #25 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
During intense scenes, such as the fight scene at the end of Enders Game, the video will start to stutter and the audio will cut out. Once it becomes a little less crazy, it will come back.
So.. are you using wireless by chance? If so, and I know I will have people disagree with me on this, wireless can really only support sustained ~18Mbps throughput on the high-end. You can look at your wireless router and determine what the bandwidth is during those scenes. If it is anywhere near 18, I would guarantee this is the larger issue. Now, the absolute latest wireless devices may be better, but I've personally never seen wireless sustain traffic at the rates manufactures claim they do. This advice comes from 16+ years in IT and working alongside CCIE Wireless gurus. Take it for what it's worth.

Secondly, all these assumptions others are making are based on playing a basic video that is either in its original format or re-encoded properly. If you have a movie that isn't "perfect", your CPU will work harder to play the video. (downloaded movies, etc..)

Thirdly, If you plan to use something like MadVR for video enhancements, often times this will put more strain on the CPU and not the video card. It depends on the settings. If you don't really care about the video quality..disregard most of what I have said. Watch bluray from the disk or disk image or re-encode at 720P and wireless/video won't be as much of an issue.

Lastly, I have fought with home entertainment solutions for years. I can say that by far my favorite solution is J River. I'm not say you have to purchase it, but at least take a look at J River software along with MadVR. J River is pretty cheap in my opinion and one license covers all your devices. DLNA options are limitless.
I'm not a Microsoft fanboy by any means, but I've lost way too many hours of my life trying to get Linux based solutions to work.

On the HEVC comment above, yes..it is bleeding edge. The issue though is that you can choose this codec when re-encoding your movie collection if you like. Therefore, other people may have used this codec. I think a high-end i5 is probably not necessary, but a lower-end might be a good solution for the unexpected.
Again.. all this advice is based on my personal experience. I would hand you $200 in a heartbeat to swap my procs out for legit procs.
post #26 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
What makes that MSI board better? It also has 2 PCI slots, is there something else that makes this one better than the ASRock for a HTPC?
All slots of the MSI board are PCI 'Express'.

Nothing wrong with Core i5. Just you will feel you are wasting its power (and your money). Playing back 1080p contents with HD audio bitstreaming is one of the easiest tasks today's processor/iGPU can do.

Last edited by renethx; 07-15-2014 at 04:10 PM.
post #27 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Secondly, all these assumptions others are making are based on playing a basic video that is either in its original format or re-encoded properly. If you have a movie that isn't "perfect", your CPU will work harder to play the video. (downloaded movies, etc..)
Will you post a short clip of such movies (hardest one, please)? I can give a quick test and tell what processor is good for that.
post #28 of 32 Old 07-15-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So.. are you using wireless by chance? If so, and I know I will have people disagree with me on this, wireless can really only support sustained ~18Mbps throughput on the high-end. You can look at your wireless router and determine what the bandwidth is during those scenes. If it is anywhere near 18, I would guarantee this is the larger issue. Now, the absolute latest wireless devices may be better
I have screenshots of a file transfer sustaining 35-40 MB/s (not bits, bytes)

I'll upload if I find them or create a new one and upload that
post #29 of 32 Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

All my components are wired. I had a bunch of stuttering over wireless, so it was impossible to go that route.

post #30 of 32 Old 07-18-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
So.. are you using wireless by chance? If so, and I know I will have people disagree with me on this, wireless can really only support sustained ~18Mbps throughput on the high-end. You can look at your wireless router and determine what the bandwidth is during those scenes. If it is anywhere near 18, I would guarantee this is the larger issue. Now, the absolute latest wireless devices may be better, but I've personally never seen wireless sustain traffic at the rates manufactures claim they do. This advice comes from 16+ years in IT and working alongside CCIE Wireless gurus. Take it for what it's worth.
You can't predict wireless performance and therefore I classify it as less than ideal. Each individuals performance will differ. But saying wireless can only support sustained ~18Mbps throughput on the high-end is crazy.

this is with a 3 or 4 year old wireless card. I haven't upgraded to 802.11ac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wireless.JPG (126.0 KB, 10 views)

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page