post #1 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Cool new 3D option I didn't realize worked

Well, I've now got about 8 3D-BR discs

Something that I've noticed about PDVD13, is that it will play each disc fine from the drive but refuses to play a decrypted iso. However, MakeMKV supports ripping MVC video into an mkv with your audio tracks and subtitles. PDVD13 will play the mkv just fine, and 2D or 3D of course

For each of the 3D discs in my collection, I just went ahead and made mvc mkv rips and let XBMC organize them

To use PDVD as an external player you need to copy the following code into notepad and then save it to your userdata folder with the filename "playercorefactory.xml"

Code:
<playercorefactory>
 <players>
   <player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD13\PDVDLP.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}"</args>
     <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
 </players>
</playercorefactory>
If you are familiar with using external players in XBMC, most of the time the playercorefactory will use rules to prepend the playback order for filenames, filetypes, video codec types, etc. I don't use that, because I really don't want to name these 3d-bd or something silly

Instead of prepending with rules, just put the above playercorefactory in your userdata folder and then open the context menu instead of clicking play in XBMC. Context menu is the Info button (I think) on WMC remotes or "c" on your keyboard. In the context menu you should see "Play Using" and after selecting this option you can choose either default or PDVD13

When I choose PDVD and toggle 3D it toggles my TV to 3D mode (set to auto-detect)

What's the cool part?
I did try just pressing play for these MVC mkv files in XBMC (using the default player) a while back (Gotham alphas) but it would only play the audio and no video whatsoever. Yesterday, I clicked one again just for kicks, and it played everything back just fine

So XBMC now supports MVC MKV files, 2D only. (Not sure where I missed this announcement)

Now I can just drop a 3D mkv in and have it played back 2D in XBMC, or if we actually want to watch it in 3D (usually just to show off) then I can context click and select PDVD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
from my understanding Powerdvd does not support mkv mvc files for 3d playback. What you are seeing is a 2d-3d conversion from powerdvd.

Unless I missed something.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 195
It's pretty sad, but I can't seem to be bothered to get my glasses for my 3D movies. I've just been selecting the 3D to 2D option.

post #4 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 389
PowerDVD supports MVC MKV, i.e. decodes MVC (but without hardware acceleration) and outputs frame packing 3D. TMT does not do this. I tested both myself.

Last edited by renethx; 07-15-2014 at 06:57 AM.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks renethx, I was wondering why it didnt work in tmt. At least I know it's not something I was doing wrong
post #6 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Out of curiosity, which filetypes support hw acceleration for MVC 3D in pdvd? Iso, folder?
post #7 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
PowerDVD supports MVC MKV, i.e. decodes MVC (but without hardware acceleration) and outputs frame packing 3D. TMT does not do this. I tested both myself.
How did you get this to work.

Every test I did even talking to the guys on the Makemkv forums have told me that powerdvd does not suppost 3d MKV mvc.

When you hit the 3d button on power dvd it converts it from 2d-3d.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post
You are right, comparing 3D in ISO, MVC MKV and AVC MKV closely (from the same BR 3D disc), there were differences. 3D playback of MVC MKV was identical with 3D playback of AVC MKV. Perhaps my eyes were fooled by clever 2D-3D conversion process.

So Stereoscopic Player is still the only solution for MVC MKV right now.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:
You are right, comparing 3D in ISO, MVC MKV and AVC MKV closely (from the same BR 3D disc), there were differences. 3D playback of MVC MKV was identical with 3D playback of AVC MKV. Perhaps my eyes were fooled by clever 2D-3D conversion process.

Where is the best place to get the most up to date Stereoscopic player version ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Where is the best place to get the most up to date Stereoscopic player version ?
Steve, is that you?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Stereoscopic+player

post #11 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Come on man give me a little credit. I have done that, but there is different version at different sites. I want the "best" version source. Seems like most of them are out of date.

http://www.3dtv.at/Products/Player/Index_en.aspx

This link seems like the most recent I could find. ^

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #12 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Come on man give me a little credit. I have done that, but there is different version at different sites. I want the "best" version source. Seems like most of them are out of date.

http://www.3dtv.at/Products/Player/Index_en.aspx

This link seems like the most recent I could find. ^
That was the first three links. I assume that is the source of the player, but I've never used it. Like I mentioned above, I lost the 3D wow factor and can't be bothered to get my glasses out of the cabinet anymore.

post #13 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
That was the first three links. I assume that is the source of the player, but I've never used it. Like I mentioned above, I lost the 3D wow factor and can't be bothered to get my glasses out of the cabinet anymore.
I just bought a 4 pack of glasses, 6 total now. I am building a 3D HTPC right now for my parents, my dad got a new light cannon projector and wants to try it out. It's fun for the kids with animation too... But it's a once in a while thing.

After I build my dedicated theater I think I would enjoy it more myself.

-

post #14 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

actually:

I downloaded one that said it was an older version, then I found a newer version but after downloading both it looks like the same version.

So it was marked as an older version in the download page but actually downloaded apparently the new version. I think I was just being paranoid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	282
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	163001   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.png
Views:	276
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	163009  

-

post #15 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just bought a 4 pack of glasses, 6 total now. I am building a 3D HTPC right now for my parents, my dad got a new light cannon projector and wants to try it out. It's fun for the kids with animation too... But it's a once in a while thing.

After I build my dedicated theater I think I would enjoy it more myself.
My 5 and 8 year old don't like the glasses. It also seems like there are fewer 3D discs being released or they aren't as easy to find.

post #16 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Stereoscopic Player Version History: Version 2.2.8 is the latest beta. The latest stable version is 2.1.4.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
from my understanding Powerdvd does not support mkv mvc files for 3d playback. What you are seeing is a 2d-3d conversion from powerdvd
Looks like you were right, thanks

Quote:
Fooled me too, but that's much easier than fooling you

Quote:
Thanks, so there was a free option for 3d all along. I can get rid of those chingliu downloads now

Quote:
I just bought a 4 pack of glasses, 6 total now. I am building a 3D HTPC right now for my parents, my dad got a new light cannon projector and wants to try it out. It's fun for the kids with animation too... But it's a once in a while thing
It definitely looks better than I thought, but I'm comparing this on a m701d-a3r. Most reviews said it was poor at 3d, but I have little to compare against other than reald and imax 3d in theaters. It looks very good to me. Since mine are passive, most of the glasses from the theaters also work
post #18 of 21 Old 10-02-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Looks like you were right, thanks

Fooled me too, but that's much easier than fooling you

Thanks, so there was a free option for 3d all along. I can get rid of those chingliu downloads now

It definitely looks better than I thought, but I'm comparing this on a m701d-a3r. Most reviews said it was poor at 3d, but I have little to compare against other than reald and imax 3d in theaters. It looks very good to me. Since mine are passive, most of the glasses from the theaters also work
I have upgraded my old JVC RS1 and now own my first 3D capable projector. I have the JVC IR emitter and 2 pair of xpand 103 JVC compatible glasses.

I own quite a few "bonus" 3D blurays that I have never used before. I do not have a bluray player hooked up to my theater stack, only the HTPC. I have ripped some of these 3D blurays to MKV and put them into xbmc.

I have my projector 3D mode set to "auto", it also has options for side by side and top and bottom.

When I play them in XBMC some of them have the same image side by side on the screen and some of them have the same image top and bottom on the screen. I figured out pretty quickly that XBMC will not play these back correctly.

I am fine with running these through an external player and not XBMC, I don't think I'll be watching them often but I do want to try it out. I haven't seen much besides this thread with info for people using a projector and HTPC running 3D MKV files. Is the stereoscopic player the right program for me to use?

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #19 of 21 Old 10-02-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Interesting part about this is that I can't get 3D Blu-rays (the actual discs) to play in 3D without clicking the same button.

So, when I'm playing these back, am I actually getting the real MVC 3D or is it just converting the 2D to 3D???
post #20 of 21 Old 10-04-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
Interesting part about this is that I can't get 3D Blu-rays (the actual discs) to play in 3D without clicking the same button.

So, when I'm playing these back, am I actually getting the real MVC 3D or is it just converting the 2D to 3D???
AFAIK, PowerDVD only converts a file in MKV container. It outputs original frame-packing signal to your display when it detects 3D Blu ray discs or mounted isos.
post #21 of 21 Old 10-04-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post
I have upgraded my old JVC RS1 and now own my first 3D capable projector. I have the JVC IR emitter and 2 pair of xpand 103 JVC compatible glasses.

I own quite a few "bonus" 3D blurays that I have never used before. I do not have a bluray player hooked up to my theater stack, only the HTPC. I have ripped some of these 3D blurays to MKV and put them into xbmc.

I have my projector 3D mode set to "auto", it also has options for side by side and top and bottom.

When I play them in XBMC some of them have the same image side by side on the screen and some of them have the same image top and bottom on the screen. I figured out pretty quickly that XBMC will not play these back correctly.

I am fine with running these through an external player and not XBMC, I don't think I'll be watching them often but I do want to try it out. I haven't seen much besides this thread with info for people using a projector and HTPC running 3D MKV files. Is the stereoscopic player the right program for me to use?

Stereoscopic Player works great as external player for XBMC (AFAIK it's the only software player that outputs MakeMKV's MVC files correctly at the moment). The latest beta can display subtitles for 3D blu rays. I set my XBMC up to use Stereoscopic Player when I feel like watching 3D and default internal player (which reads MakeMKV's MVC files) when I feel like 2D. The only problem is that the current AMD drivers doesn't display frame-packing MVC right in Stereoscopic Player (1 frame delay in the left eye which renders it unwatchable). Nvidia, on the other hand, works great. Been trying to get AMD to acknowledge and fix this bug forever, but so far AMD doesn't seem to care.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page