Cool new 3D option I didn't realize worked - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,856
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Cool new 3D option I didn't realize worked

Well, I've now got about 8 3D-BR discs

Something that I've noticed about PDVD13, is that it will play each disc fine from the drive but refuses to play a decrypted iso. However, MakeMKV supports ripping MVC video into an mkv with your audio tracks and subtitles. PDVD13 will play the mkv just fine, and 2D or 3D of course

For each of the 3D discs in my collection, I just went ahead and made mvc mkv rips and let XBMC organize them

To use PDVD as an external player you need to copy the following code into notepad and then save it to your userdata folder with the filename "playercorefactory.xml"

Code:
<playercorefactory>
 <players>
   <player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD13\PDVDLP.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}"</args>
     <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
 </players>
</playercorefactory>
If you are familiar with using external players in XBMC, most of the time the playercorefactory will use rules to prepend the playback order for filenames, filetypes, video codec types, etc. I don't use that, because I really don't want to name these 3d-bd or something silly

Instead of prepending with rules, just put the above playercorefactory in your userdata folder and then open the context menu instead of clicking play in XBMC. Context menu is the Info button (I think) on WMC remotes or "c" on your keyboard. In the context menu you should see "Play Using" and after selecting this option you can choose either default or PDVD13

When I choose PDVD and toggle 3D it toggles my TV to 3D mode (set to auto-detect)


What's the cool part?
I did try just pressing play for these MVC mkv files in XBMC (using the default player) a while back (Gotham alphas) but it would only play the audio and no video whatsoever. Yesterday, I clicked one again just for kicks, and it played everything back just fine

So XBMC now supports MVC MKV files, 2D only. (Not sure where I missed this announcement)

Now I can just drop a 3D mkv in and have it played back 2D in XBMC, or if we actually want to watch it in 3D (usually just to show off) then I can context click and select PDVD
Dark_Slayer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
space2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
from my understanding Powerdvd does not support mkv mvc files for 3d playback. What you are seeing is a 2d-3d conversion from powerdvd.

Unless I missed something.
space2001 is online now  
post #3 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bryansj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,602
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 237
It's pretty sad, but I can't seem to be bothered to get my glasses for my 3D movies. I've just been selecting the 3D to 2D option.

bryansj is online now  
post #4 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,243
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 390
PowerDVD supports MVC MKV, i.e. decodes MVC (but without hardware acceleration) and outputs frame packing 3D. TMT does not do this. I tested both myself.

Last edited by renethx; 07-15-2014 at 06:57 AM.
renethx is offline  
post #5 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,856
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Thanks renethx, I was wondering why it didnt work in tmt. At least I know it's not something I was doing wrong
Dark_Slayer is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,856
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Out of curiosity, which filetypes support hw acceleration for MVC 3D in pdvd? Iso, folder?
Dark_Slayer is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
space2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
PowerDVD supports MVC MKV, i.e. decodes MVC (but without hardware acceleration) and outputs frame packing 3D. TMT does not do this. I tested both myself.
How did you get this to work.

Every test I did even talking to the guys on the Makemkv forums have told me that powerdvd does not suppost 3d MKV mvc.

When you hit the 3d button on power dvd it converts it from 2d-3d.
space2001 is online now  
post #8 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,243
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post
When you hit the 3d button on power dvd it converts it from 2d-3d.
You are right, comparing 3D in ISO, MVC MKV and AVC MKV closely (from the same BR 3D disc), there were differences. 3D playback of MVC MKV was identical with 3D playback of AVC MKV. Perhaps my eyes were fooled by clever 2D-3D conversion process.

So Stereoscopic Player is still the only solution for MVC MKV right now.
renethx is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 25,653
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
You are right, comparing 3D in ISO, MVC MKV and AVC MKV closely (from the same BR 3D disc), there were differences. 3D playback of MVC MKV was identical with 3D playback of AVC MKV. Perhaps my eyes were fooled by clever 2D-3D conversion process.

So Stereoscopic Player is still the only solution for MVC MKV right now.
Where is the best place to get the most up to date Stereoscopic player version ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #10 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bryansj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,602
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Where is the best place to get the most up to date Stereoscopic player version ?
Steve, is that you?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Stereoscopic+player

bryansj is online now  
post #11 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 25,653
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Come on man give me a little credit. I have done that, but there is different version at different sites. I want the "best" version source. Seems like most of them are out of date.

http://www.3dtv.at/Products/Player/Index_en.aspx

This link seems like the most recent I could find. ^

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #12 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bryansj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,602
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Come on man give me a little credit. I have done that, but there is different version at different sites. I want the "best" version source. Seems like most of them are out of date.

http://www.3dtv.at/Products/Player/Index_en.aspx

This link seems like the most recent I could find. ^
That was the first three links. I assume that is the source of the player, but I've never used it. Like I mentioned above, I lost the 3D wow factor and can't be bothered to get my glasses out of the cabinet anymore.

bryansj is online now  
post #13 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 25,653
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
That was the first three links. I assume that is the source of the player, but I've never used it. Like I mentioned above, I lost the 3D wow factor and can't be bothered to get my glasses out of the cabinet anymore.
I just bought a 4 pack of glasses, 6 total now. I am building a 3D HTPC right now for my parents, my dad got a new light cannon projector and wants to try it out. It's fun for the kids with animation too... But it's a once in a while thing.

After I build my dedicated theater I think I would enjoy it more myself.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #14 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 25,653
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
actually:






I downloaded one that said it was an older version, then I found a newer version but after downloading both it looks like the same version.




So it was marked as an older version in the download page but actually downloaded apparently the new version. I think I was just being paranoid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	725
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	163001   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.png
Views:	713
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	163009  

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #15 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bryansj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,602
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I just bought a 4 pack of glasses, 6 total now. I am building a 3D HTPC right now for my parents, my dad got a new light cannon projector and wants to try it out. It's fun for the kids with animation too... But it's a once in a while thing.

After I build my dedicated theater I think I would enjoy it more myself.
My 5 and 8 year old don't like the glasses. It also seems like there are fewer 3D discs being released or they aren't as easy to find.

bryansj is online now  
post #16 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,243
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Stereoscopic Player Version History: Version 2.2.8 is the latest beta. The latest stable version is 2.1.4.
renethx is offline  
post #17 of 33 Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Dark_Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,856
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post
from my understanding Powerdvd does not support mkv mvc files for 3d playback. What you are seeing is a 2d-3d conversion from powerdvd
Looks like you were right, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
You are right, comparing 3D in ISO, MVC MKV and AVC MKV closely (from the same BR 3D disc), there were differences. 3D playback of MVC MKV was identical with 3D playback of AVC MKV. Perhaps my eyes were fooled by clever 2D-3D conversion process.
Fooled me too, but that's much easier than fooling you

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
So Stereoscopic Player is still the only solution for MVC MKV right now.
Thanks, so there was a free option for 3d all along. I can get rid of those chingliu downloads now


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I just bought a 4 pack of glasses, 6 total now. I am building a 3D HTPC right now for my parents, my dad got a new light cannon projector and wants to try it out. It's fun for the kids with animation too... But it's a once in a while thing
It definitely looks better than I thought, but I'm comparing this on a m701d-a3r. Most reviews said it was poor at 3d, but I have little to compare against other than reald and imax 3d in theaters. It looks very good to me. Since mine are passive, most of the glasses from the theaters also work
Dark_Slayer is offline  
post #18 of 33 Old 10-02-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nebrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: omaha,NE,USA
Posts: 1,151
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Looks like you were right, thanks


Fooled me too, but that's much easier than fooling you


Thanks, so there was a free option for 3d all along. I can get rid of those chingliu downloads now



It definitely looks better than I thought, but I'm comparing this on a m701d-a3r. Most reviews said it was poor at 3d, but I have little to compare against other than reald and imax 3d in theaters. It looks very good to me. Since mine are passive, most of the glasses from the theaters also work
I have upgraded my old JVC RS1 and now own my first 3D capable projector. I have the JVC IR emitter and 2 pair of xpand 103 JVC compatible glasses.

I own quite a few "bonus" 3D blurays that I have never used before. I do not have a bluray player hooked up to my theater stack, only the HTPC. I have ripped some of these 3D blurays to MKV and put them into xbmc.

I have my projector 3D mode set to "auto", it also has options for side by side and top and bottom.

When I play them in XBMC some of them have the same image side by side on the screen and some of them have the same image top and bottom on the screen. I figured out pretty quickly that XBMC will not play these back correctly.

I am fine with running these through an external player and not XBMC, I don't think I'll be watching them often but I do want to try it out. I haven't seen much besides this thread with info for people using a projector and HTPC running 3D MKV files. Is the stereoscopic player the right program for me to use?

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
nebrunner is offline  
post #19 of 33 Old 10-02-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ES_Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,651
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post
When you hit the 3d button on power dvd it converts it from 2d-3d.
Interesting part about this is that I can't get 3D Blu-rays (the actual discs) to play in 3D without clicking the same button.


So, when I'm playing these back, am I actually getting the real MVC 3D or is it just converting the 2D to 3D???
ES_Revenge is online now  
post #20 of 33 Old 10-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Member
 
Theologian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
Interesting part about this is that I can't get 3D Blu-rays (the actual discs) to play in 3D without clicking the same button.



So, when I'm playing these back, am I actually getting the real MVC 3D or is it just converting the 2D to 3D???
AFAIK, PowerDVD only converts a file in MKV container. It outputs original frame-packing signal to your display when it detects 3D Blu ray discs or mounted isos.
Theologian is online now  
post #21 of 33 Old 10-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Member
 
Theologian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post
I have upgraded my old JVC RS1 and now own my first 3D capable projector. I have the JVC IR emitter and 2 pair of xpand 103 JVC compatible glasses.

I own quite a few "bonus" 3D blurays that I have never used before. I do not have a bluray player hooked up to my theater stack, only the HTPC. I have ripped some of these 3D blurays to MKV and put them into xbmc.

I have my projector 3D mode set to "auto", it also has options for side by side and top and bottom.

When I play them in XBMC some of them have the same image side by side on the screen and some of them have the same image top and bottom on the screen. I figured out pretty quickly that XBMC will not play these back correctly.

I am fine with running these through an external player and not XBMC, I don't think I'll be watching them often but I do want to try it out. I haven't seen much besides this thread with info for people using a projector and HTPC running 3D MKV files. Is the stereoscopic player the right program for me to use?

Stereoscopic Player works great as external player for XBMC (AFAIK it's the only software player that outputs MakeMKV's MVC files correctly at the moment). The latest beta can display subtitles for 3D blu rays. I set my XBMC up to use Stereoscopic Player when I feel like watching 3D and default internal player (which reads MakeMKV's MVC files) when I feel like 2D. The only problem is that the current AMD drivers doesn't display frame-packing MVC right in Stereoscopic Player (1 frame delay in the left eye which renders it unwatchable). Nvidia, on the other hand, works great. Been trying to get AMD to acknowledge and fix this bug forever, but so far AMD doesn't seem to care.
Theologian is online now  
post #22 of 33 Old 02-09-2015, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,871
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Hi everyone,


I'm trying out stereoscopic player at the moment and playing MVC files from MyMovies, and it works great except that MyMovies doesn't make a difference between standard mkvs and MVC mkv files.


Have you found a way to lauch a specific player for 2D mkvs (as there is a much better integration in MyMovies/MCE with TMT or MPC) and stereoscopic player for 3D MVC files? If I try to rename the files to a specific extension like .MVC, Stereoscopic player asks me to tell it the type of the files, which isn't very user friendly.


Other than that, great player.
Manni01 is online now  
post #23 of 33 Old 02-10-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pittsoccer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh (East Liberty)
Posts: 2,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 236
My workaround has been to create MVC M2TS files. It will play those, and since I don't use them anywhere else I don't have to make the differentiation. TSMuxer can make them.

I've been trying Stereoscopic player on the trial basis. Im using the old version of Media Browser and not My Movies.

I can launch them and play them, but I have a large black border around the image. I also dont have a good way to close it and go back to WMC.

But it does work.

Another thing for Samsung TV owners to consider is that some of them have MVC decoders built in. Using Plex with an MVC based M2TS file will work in 3D.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
pittsoccer33 is offline  
post #24 of 33 Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,871
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Thanks, I forgot to update the thread.

I found another workaround which is to simply rename the file from mkv to mk3d. Stereoscopic player detects it and plays it correctly as frame packed without asking you any information on startup. That way I can assign a different player for mkv files and MVC files. It should also fix your black borders.

To exit and go back to MCE, press CTRL-E. If you use MCE controller or Event Ghost, you can assign a key on your remote to do this for you.

Unfortunately I have an AMD7870 and the left eye delay bug with 3DHD makes any movie unwatchable as soon as there is any motion. It's a shame as it's the only unlicensed player that can play MVC files and bitstream HD Audio perfectly. I need both.

So unless I switch to NVidia (unlikely) or they find a fix for this bug I won't buy it.
Manni01 is online now  
post #25 of 33 Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ES_Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,651
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Unfortunately I have an AMD7870 and the left eye delay bug with 3DHD makes any movie unwatchable as soon as there is any motion. It's a shame as it's the only unlicensed player that can play MVC files and bitstream HD Audio perfectly. I need both.

So unless I switch to NVidia (unlikely) or they find a fix for this bug I won't buy it.
Slightly OT, but I've read of this bug before but have yet to experience (or notice?) it... I actually had to watch one movie on PS3 a few days ago as I had my HTPC apart doing some work on it, and I watched TMNT in 3D and I couldn't see any difference from what I'm used to seeing on my HTPC (which has had a 6750 and a 7950 since I've had my 3D-capable set).

Funny enough I actually found the PS3 seemed to produce a less desirable effect with motion but I think it was just the fact that movie had a bit too much "shaky cam" employed.

But yeah I don't get what exactly is supposed to happen with this bug? You lose the 3D effect once a scene starts moving?
ES_Revenge is online now  
post #26 of 33 Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,871
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
Slightly OT, but I've read of this bug before but have yet to experience (or notice?) it... I actually had to watch one movie on PS3 a few days ago as I had my HTPC apart doing some work on it, and I watched TMNT in 3D and I couldn't see any difference from what I'm used to seeing on my HTPC (which has had a 6750 and a 7950 since I've had my 3D-capable set).

Funny enough I actually found the PS3 seemed to produce a less desirable effect with motion but I think it was just the fact that movie had a bit too much "shaky cam" employed.

But yeah I don't get what exactly is supposed to happen with this bug? You lose the 3D effect once a scene starts moving?

It's subtle but if you compare the same movie on bluray 3D played by TMT or PDVD and a ripped MVC played with stereoscopic player, it's obvious. As soon as there is motion in the movie, the left field is a bit late so you lose some of the depth effect and it looks like the background and foreground are reversed. It would give me a headache after 5mn. Unwatchable (as far as I'm concerned).
Manni01 is online now  
post #27 of 33 Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ES_Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,651
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Oh wait the bug is only seen on rips and not actual discs? In that case, yeah that's probably why I've never seen it--I only play discs.
ES_Revenge is online now  
post #28 of 33 Old Today, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,871
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
Oh wait the bug is only seen on rips and not actual discs? In that case, yeah that's probably why I've never seen it--I only play discs.
Not only on rips. On any stereoscopic content the stereoscopic player plays on AMD in 3D.

I only mentioned an MVC rip because it's the subject of this topic as per the OP and the easiest way to compare the same stream played by a licensed player from the original disc and the backup file one would want stereoscopic player to play.

If you're using stereoscopic player on an AMD GPU, the bug is there.
If you play the same content from the original bluray 3D in TMT or PDVD, the bug isn't there.

Apparently this is due to the fact the licensed players like TMT and PDVD can use an undocumented API to play the MVC stream. Unlicensed players don't seem to have access to this undocumented API. So not a bug in the AMD driver or in Stereoscopic player, rather a limitation of unlicensed players.

The developper has written on this issue in the AMD developper forum, but hasn't received a reply from AMD yet (so probably never will).
Manni01 is online now  
post #29 of 33 Old Today, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Theologian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Unfortunately I have an AMD7870 and the left eye delay bug with 3DHD makes any movie unwatchable as soon as there is any motion. It's a shame as it's the only unlicensed player that can play MVC files and bitstream HD Audio perfectly. I need both.
If you have a HD7870, try Catalyst 12.3. In my case that's the only driver that works with my HD7770 and before AMD introduced the left eye delay problem in HD3D. Stereoscopic Player works fine with it. You can get it from AMD driver website.

Good luck.
Theologian is online now  
post #30 of 33 Old Today, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,871
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theologian View Post
If you have a HD7870, try Catalyst 12.3. In my case that's the only driver that works with my HD7770 and before AMD introduced the left eye delay problem in HD3D. Stereoscopic Player works fine with it. You can get it from AMD driver website.

Good luck.
Thanks Theologian, I'll give this a try!
Manni01 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Computers



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off