Want to laugh out loud ? This is why people like HTPC better than cable... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 816
I never said they were crap; I said they are crap media servers. It's all in context. They are fine as NAS units. "Lame" is actually more realistic than "crap" I think. I. Pretty sure I called them lame a couple times

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I fly off the handle and take major offense to the prices charged for such crappy equipment.
(In reference to NAS units)

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #33 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
I'm with pittsoccer, the customer was being a jerk by not telling the CSR why he was cancelling.
If you read through, the customer claims he did this muptiple times before the recording. At some point he gave up.

I also have some sympathy for the rep, as I am sure he was between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully he gets out of this with some gain (e.g. an incentive to keep him quiet).
post #34 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It takes two idiots to have a conversation like that. If either one of them was just nice the call would end sooner and easier.

The caller was intentionally toying knowing he was recording it. He could have just been cool and listened to the stupid pitch uninterrupted and declined it. Or just make up a story why that's solid and get it over. By not cooperating and intentionally being passive aggressive the caller prolonged the pain of the call, which I suspect was his goal. He just happened to get that perfect CSR that wanted to beat and beat the issue...

Both ends of the conversation are idiots.
Dark_Slayer likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #35 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I think he should apply to become the next White House press secretary. The reporters can hound and hound and hound and he'll stick right on the regime's script!
Mfusick likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #36 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
I can empathize with the Comcast employee more than the subscriber. Comcast's internal policy seems to dictate that the retention employee find out why a subscriber wants to cancel and tries to convince them to stay. If you don't like dealing with that then fine, but why couldn't the guy on the other end have some compassion?
Comcast's effective policy is: "Answer our questions or we'll fire this employee". Should the customer kowtow for the sake of compassion because the employee may lack better job prospects?

That's extortion. Screw that. The customer has zero humanitarian obligation to play along under those conditions.
Dark_Slayer likes this.

Last edited by EricN; 07-17-2014 at 03:48 PM.
post #37 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post
Comcast's effective policy is: "Answer our questions or we'll fire this employee". Should the customer kowtow for the sake of compassion because the employee may lack better job prospects?

That's extortion. Screw that. The customer has zero humanitarian obligation to play along under those conditions.
I think you can choose to no answer, but do it in a polite and effective manner. The caller was just a douche, and his communication style only served to instigate and antagonize the CSR rep. The CRS rep was also a douche.

Customer should be able to decline, but doing so should be cordial and polite. Being a customer does not give you a right to be an ass.

-

post #38 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The customer doesn't have to be cordial and polite; the customer has no obligation to the company aside from paying for the service recieved. Sure, he could have just lied; but he shouldn't, and doesn't, have to. Also, you all keep disregarding the fact his wife Veronica Belmont (which everyone who knows her from all her work and social accounts, knows she's super nice and polite) was the one who spent the first 10 minutes on the phone trying to cancel, putting up with the retention agent's ****. When she couldn't get anywhere/couldn't deal with it anymore, she gave the phone to Ryan. That's where they say the recording starts.

And while I feel the retention agent was obviously a bit too pushy, I don't blame him either. It's Comcast pressuring the retention agents to prevent any and all cancellations they can, by fear of losing a bonus or their very jobs, that caused the retention agent to be so adamant about not letting the customer cancel.

The customer shares no percent of the blame here, the actual agent maybe 5%, and Comcast's company policies take 95% of the blame IMO.

Ryan even said on twitter to Comcast, who reached out to him, "I don't want you to fire that agent over this, I want you to change your company policies".

So everyone who thinks the customer is to blame here, I can't help but hope Comcast buys you dinner and hands you some lube before you thank them for 'serving' you
Roussi likes this.

Last edited by staknhalo; 07-17-2014 at 07:08 PM.
post #39 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I think human beings should just be cordial to one another. Being a customer or receiving bad service doesn't mean you can turn into a douche bag and it's ok. The comcast clown obviously was a jerkoff too, so I don't let him off the hook (or comcast for creating that) but at the end of the day each individual is responsible for their own actions. I don't believe his behavior was acceptable, and in fact I think if he was a little more cordial and straightforward he could have accomplished his task sooner and easier with less effort. His resistance just reinforced the comcast clown to try harder and harder. In an ironic way those two combined into a self generating spiral.

-

post #40 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I think human beings should just be cordial to one another. Being a customer or receiving bad service doesn't mean you can turn into a douche bag and it's ok. The comcast clown obviously was a jerkoff too, so I don't let him off the hook (or comcast for creating that) but at the end of the day each individual is responsible for their own actions. I don't believe his behavior was acceptable, and in fact I think if he was a little more cordial and straightforward he could have accomplished his task sooner and easier with less effort. His resistance just reinforced the comcast clown to try harder and harder. In an ironic way those two combined into a self generating spiral.
So when someone's being a douche to you in the real world, you just smile and let them continue to walk all over you and push you around under the guise of 'remaining cordial'; or do you grow a backbone and stand up for yourself? Cause as I explained, the agent is the one who started all the trouble (well technically, as I explained, Comcast's policies started the trouble; but just forced the agent's hand - so to speak), not the customer in this case. The customer simply stood up for themselves and stood their ground. If you guys think that's wrong, then like I said, I hope if any of you are ever in a situation like this, you at least work up the courage to ask them for some lube first (and I truly hope they give it to you for all your sakes); seeing as standing up for yourself is apparently wrong by your train of thought.

Just think, if everyone had always thought your way, the neanderthals could have just been really, really mean to us and we would have just rolled over and gone extinct; simply to stay cordial and not upset anyone. Hope no one ever goes back in time and tells them that :X

Last edited by staknhalo; 07-17-2014 at 07:33 PM.
post #41 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I guess I just don't think it's effective to be a jerkoff, it's easier and faster to just communicate properly without the passive aggressive bating.

-

post #42 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I guess I just don't think it's effective to be a jerkoff, it's easier and faster to just communicate properly without the passive aggressive bating.
At first, absolutely. But, when that doesn't work or get you anywhere as was the case with his wife in the first 10 minutes that led up to the recording, grow a spine and stand up for yourself like Ryan Block did. Otherwise, people will just keep walking over you your entire life. You won't even end up with the short end of the stick; you'll end up with no stick. No one in their right mind could think that's better than seeming 'uncordial'.

Last edited by staknhalo; 07-17-2014 at 08:36 PM.
post #43 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Tired of not laughing-out-loud since dealing with cable co CSRs is too close to home?

Try laughing at why you shouldn't build a gaming pc http://kotaku.com/the-10-worst-thing...-pc-1606794540
post #44 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Tired of not laughing-out-loud since dealing with cable co CSRs is too close to home?

Try laughing at why you shouldn't build a gaming pc http://kotaku.com/the-10-worst-thing...-pc-1606794540
They got a point with the MoBo front end headers though :P

Nothing worse than having the rig sealed up, cable management done, powered on, and everything works fine except the HDD or power LED light because you forgot to double check.

Last edited by staknhalo; 07-17-2014 at 08:44 PM.
post #45 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
They got a point with the MoBo front end headers though :P

Nothing worse than having the rig sealed up, cable management done, powered on, and everything works fine except the HDD or power LED light because you forgot to double check.
Yes, that's the only reason I ever read mobo manuals. Then I get carried away identifying the grammatical mistakes and obscurities in other parts of the manual. I should really just take that page out on every build and tape it inside the case. Sometimes on nicer (usually larger) boards they are clearly labeled and don't require any additional explanation or guessing
post #46 of 57 Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Yes, that's the only reason I ever read mobo manuals. Then I get carried away identifying the grammatical mistakes and obscurities in other parts of the manual. I should really just take that page out on every build and tape it inside the case. Sometimes on nicer (usually larger) boards they are clearly labeled and don't require any additional explanation or guessing
What's really nice, on some OEM comps cases/boards it's literally PnP (for lack of a better term). The front end wires all join into one piece, and you can only fit it onto the MoBo the correct way. You could say that's obviously cause they're OEM parts, but there's no reason it couldn't be done like that across all cases/MoBos.

But, it's also a right of passage :P
post #47 of 57 Old 07-18-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Comcast employees monthly bonus is based on customer retention. They have a limited number of disconnects per day before they'll completely lose that portion of their pay.

http://consumerist.com/2014/07/16/co...otally-normal/

The irony here is that Ryan Block works for AOL, a company that was just as bad as Comcast with their internal retention policies resulting in this call:

http://consumerist.com/2006/06/13/th...to-cancel-aol/

The offcial AOL Manual:

http://boingboing.net/2006/07/18/aol...er-retent.html

Looky here!
post #48 of 57 Old 07-18-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post
Lol, that's gold coming from you; 'Mr. All NAS devices are crap and suck balls kill em with fire lololololololol'. Someone sticky his post here so we can throw his own words in his face the next time he makes one of his infamous outlandish generalizations about something or other.

That said, you're point isn't wrong. Just try to remember your own words before you make your next thread/post.

I didn't realize NAS devices were people. Soylant Green, yes. But NAS?

Anyway, what NOBODY has mentioned (in this thread) is that if this guy hadn't had the patience to stand up like that, and record it, pretty much no one would be talking about this. It got the attention of the media and Comcast. There may even be some chance that their policy will be altered. Maybe.

Personally, I would have hung up and called back later. And nobody would ever know about it.
post #49 of 57 Old 07-19-2014, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I agree. The criticism and embarrassment of Comcast should make them rethink their strategy and rules.

-

post #50 of 57 Old 07-22-2014, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I hate dealing with cable companies but they're the only game in town if you want live sports.
post #51 of 57 Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 221
If you totally ignore D* and E*, sure.
post #52 of 57 Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

post #53 of 57 Old 07-23-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152

post #54 of 57 Old 07-23-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Way to go comcast !

-

post #55 of 57 Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Way to go comcast !
L-L-L-L-L-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-N-N-N-N-G-G-G-G-G way to go!

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #56 of 57 Old 07-23-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Comcast has ranked as america's most hated company for a few years in a row... I've posted about that almost every year. I think they are undefeated.

-

post #57 of 57 Old 07-24-2014, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to see TWC, Charter, Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint right there in tow

I agree, and I wonder if they include Google Fiber as an ISP in there? It would likely be one of the highest rated ISPs out there
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page