Use a linear power supply if you value audio - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Use a linear power supply if you value audio

I wasn't expecting any difference, but the difference ended up so huge I was willing to throttle down video processing so I fit under the 100w limit of my linear power supply.

Basically, the bass is way more defined + the highs seem to pierce your soul. It was and is still amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Details on your PC hardware and audio equipment, please?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I can only assume you use an internal sound card, I seriously doubt an external DAC (over HDMI, SPDIF or USB) would care what kind of PSU you use in your PC.

And if you value sound quality, you would probably prefer an external DAC.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
Basically, the bass is way more defined + the highs seem to pierce your soul.
Were you using a reference soul with known permeability?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
Details on your PC hardware and audio equipment, please?
HD-Plex linear power supply -> 250w converter -> 750 Ti -> HDMI -> onkyo 818 -> 2 JC1 -> 2 LS50 + 1 Rythmik F12G.

Before, it was a normal PC power supply -> 750 TI -> HDMI. I swapped between the two, couldn't believe the difference...

(And before that Realtek optical out, now that was crap sounding...)

Last edited by coli; 07-16-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 367
what playback software are you using out of curiosity?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
what playback software are you using out of curiosity?
Foobar2000 and MPC-BE both using WASAPI. Lossless or AAC source mainly. The difference was very audible in both.

You would think with digital HDMI it'd make no difference, but it does....
Old 07-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
ok i'll bite ...
Spoiler!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 222
^^ +1 on that. What a crock.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess most of you don't value audio quality... Oh well, you can lead a horse to water...
Old 07-17-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
I guess most of you don't value audio quality... Oh well, you can lead a horse to water...
Isn't that saying really "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think"....
coli likes this.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
You're ignorance is outstanding.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
You're ignorance is outstanding.

IF you want, I can charge you $100 to come to my house to AB test it
Old 07-17-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 510
http://tornadoair.com/experts.php

The improved gas mileage will pierce your soul.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Before, it was a normal PC power supply -> 750 TI -> HDMI. I swapped between the two, couldn't believe the difference...
Define "normal PC power supply." Make and model, please. What's the purpose of the 250W converter? I didn't see that listed on the HD Plex website. Also, will this work in any PC case or is it only compatible with the HD Plex cases?

FYI, there are a lot of crap PSUs supplied with PC cases. If that's what you were using then upgrading to any decent name brand PSU may work just as well as your linear PSU.

FWIW, I looked up the PSU he referenced and it's an audiophile specialty product. I know back in the days when I was bit by the high end audiophile bug, power supplies were a hot topic and were proven to have a direct relation to sound quality.

Saying something is crap without listening to it first is just plain ignorant. I'm not defending the OP, but it's possible he might be onto something. I prefer to keep an open mind when it comes to audio products and sound quality.

And what is it with all the soul piercing lately?
Mikery1985 likes this.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
^^ +1 on that. What a crock.
+2.

Digital is digital. It is either a zero or a one. It's not anything else. If the signal gets to your DAC in your AVR then the HTPC has no effect on sound quality, even if you plug the HTPC into a million dollar line conditioner.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 07-17-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Define "normal PC power supply." Make and model, please. What's the purpose of the 250W converter? I didn't see that listed on the HD Plex website. Also, will this work in any PC case or is it only compatible with the HD Plex cases?

FYI, there are a lot of crap PSUs supplied with PC cases. If that's what you were using then upgrading to any decent name brand PSU may work just as well as your linear PSU.

FWIW, I looked up the PSU he referenced and it's an audiophile specialty product. I know back in the days when I was bit by the high end audiophile bug, power supplies were a hot topic and were proven to have a direct relation to sound quality.

Saying something is crap without listening to it first is just plain ignorant. I'm not defending the OP, but it's possible he might be onto something. I prefer to keep an open mind when it comes to audio products and sound quality.

250W is the second product on the hd-plex power supply page. IT converts 19v to PC voltage and connectors.

The power supply I had before was a SilverStone NightJar fanless PSU.

Seriously the difference was so huge it was a VERY pleasant surprise. Upgrading the pc power supply was one of the last thing I thought I'd try (very nice having lots of disposable income), and boy am I happy that I did.

I should be charging you guys for this tip But I'm giving it away for free. Hah.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
+1
Old 07-17-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Power supply is important but only at the analog stage of the last output device. He is using HDMI to send digital audio to the receiver for audio output. How is a power supply in the PC can affect or make bass deeper and highs piercing in the HDMI digital audio stream?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:

I have a very open mind when it comes to things that are possible within the known limits of physics.

Moving from a switching mode power supply to a linear power supply isn't going to make a bit of difference to the digital signal that is leaving the OP's PC. If he was using analog out from his computer, I would absolutely believe that switching power supplies made a significant difference on his output quality, but not with digital. No Sir.

Heck, if he had done a reliable double-blind test and still claimed it sounded better, I might believe be inclined to think *something* was going on.. But to quote the late Carl Sagan, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
bulls, |Tch0rT| and sethsez like this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Power supply is important but only at the analog stage of the last output device. He is using HDMI to send digital audio to the receiver for audio output. How is a power supply in the PC can affect or make bass deeper and highs piercing in the HDMI digital audio stream?
I don't know how, but who am I to argue with the results?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Either that or the Onkyo 818 receiver is unbelievably crappy that a power supply noise from source device via ground wire can drastically affect the audio quality of the amp.
bulls likes this.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't know how, but who am I to argue with the results?
The other voice in your head? j/k.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
The other voice in your head? j/k.
Sigh, sign of the times that people are so close minded. I'm out of the thread. Try it if you got disposable income though, you can thank me latter.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Sound quality is highly subjective and varies from individual to individual. Comparing a reproduced sound to a reference (i.e., live music) is the best anyone can hope for when it comes to subjective reasoning.

The OP indicated he did not expect a difference when using HDMI yet he claims he did. Who are we to tell him what he did or didn't hear without being present while the listening was actually taking place? Unless anyone was there to witness the event, any argument against his claim is pure speculation, but speculation based on experience and knowledge we already possess.

Bull&hit or not is anybody's guess without listening for themselves.

I can't argue with the Engineering aspect regarding the digital signal. I would not expect to hear any difference either. I just prefer to reserve judgement until such time that I can hear it for myself.

Naysayers are in abundance whenever anyone makes a claim that rocks the boat. Just think where we'd be if everytime someone discovered something new they listened to the negativity that invariably ensued. We'd still be in the dark ages.

To the OP - If you found a product that enhances your enjoyment, good for you. Whether it actually works is anyone's guess. The fact that you perceive it to work is all that should matter to you. Enjoy!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there a way to have some admin keep posts like this from posting? So we don't have to waste our time.

This is one of the most ignorant AND stupid posts I have ever read.

The power supply feeding the computer has ZERO effect on the DIGITAL output through the HDMI cable. Therefore, the difference of one power source over another feeding the computer would have ZERO difference on the end sound.

He posts:

HD-Plex linear power supply -> 250w converter -> 750 Ti -> HDMI -> onkyo 818 -> 2 JC1 -> 2 LS50 + 1 Rythmik F12G

In his subsequent post he mentions 250W is the second product on the hd-plex power supply page. IT converts 19v to PC voltage and connectors.

This is just erroneous; taking 19 volts from I assume line voltage somehow and then converting it to "PC voltage" which is typically 12 and 3.3 and 5 volts, etc. Just dumb. Please delete this thread.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Naysayers are in abundance whenever anyone makes a claim that rocks the boat.
Only when those claims aren't backed up with evidence. This is AVS, not AVBS.

Want to claim X is better than Y? What equipment are you using? What are your tests? What are your metrics? If it's a subjective measurement, that's not a problem; tackle that with polls or surveys or trusted judges. The point is: show your work. That's the difference between contributing to science and spouting quackery.
Foxbat121, bulls, Aluminum and 2 others like this.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipford View Post
Is there a way to have some admin keep posts like this from posting? So we don't have to waste our time.
I don't see anyone holding a gun to your head. If you don't like the thread, don't read it. Wasting your time was your decision.