can I splice two cooling fans wires together - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers > can I splice two cooling fans wires together

Home Theater Computers

stevethebrain's Avatar stevethebrain
08:16 AM Liked: 25
post #1 of 8
07-16-2014 | Posts: 1,177
can I splice two cooling fans wires together then plug into one three pin connecter?

I'm trying to install two intake cooling fans in my new case however I only have one three pin connecter on the front of case.

I actualley order a Y-adaptor was planning on having two exhaust fans however this is a four pin connecter it would probablley be easier to splice the two fans together if this is OK to do.

Thanks STB
pkscout's Avatar pkscout
10:28 AM Liked: 13
post #2 of 8
07-16-2014 | Posts: 1,037
If you're comfortable working with the relatively thin wires, then you're probably fine. I'd make very sure that you properly cover the bare wire, or you could short out your motherboard if something touches where it isn't suppose to.

Why not just get (or wait for) the Y connector though?
EricN's Avatar EricN
10:54 AM Liked: 211
post #3 of 8
07-16-2014 | Posts: 1,265
Don't splice the 4th pin. (and pkscout makes a good point...your pc will survive without a second intake fan for a few days)

http://www.formfactors.org/developer...e_PWM_Spec.pdf

Look at ยง 4.1.6 Fan Connector Pinout and Wiring Colors
ajhieb's Avatar ajhieb
11:00 AM Liked: 467
post #4 of 8
07-16-2014 | Posts: 1,766
I think this falls into the category of "if you have to ask, you shouldn't do it"

Spend a couple of bucks and buy the right Y-adapter for your fans.
captain_video's Avatar captain_video
11:19 AM Liked: 183
post #5 of 8
07-16-2014 | Posts: 3,715
You probably have some 4-pin Molex to 3 or 4-pin fan adapters that came with a fan at some point. Instead of connecting the extra fan to your motherboard you should be able to insert it into one of the PSU cables.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick
11:50 AM Liked: 1186
post #6 of 8
07-16-2014 | Posts: 25,178
buy a proper Y adapter from ebay for $3 and wait for it. I'd run the PC without the fan in the meantime.
bryansj's Avatar bryansj
01:46 PM Liked: 229
post #7 of 8
07-16-2014 | Posts: 6,557
I would be looking to reduce the number of fans, not increase them. I go with the minimum to keep the noise down. I'd rather it run a little hot than loud. As long as it is within an acceptable range then leave it alone. You seem to want to plug something into every spot that accepts a plug or device.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej
02:10 PM Liked: 484
post #8 of 8
07-16-2014 | Posts: 10,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I would be looking to reduce the number of fans, not increase them. I go with the minimum to keep the noise down. I'd rather it run a little hot than loud. As long as it is within an acceptable range then leave it alone. You seem to want to plug something into every spot that accepts a plug or device.
+1

I've got the fan in the power supply, a CPU fan and one sitting on top of my Ceton card. That's it. That keeps everything around 50C, which is a little hot but still fine and very quiet. Of course your components may dictate otherwise.

I've ruined a motherboard before by having a cold solder joint of mine drop off and short something. So I try to avoid that at all costs. If you really need more fans, buy the right part before you start splicing and soldering. It's not worth the risk, especially if you don't have much experience with that kind of thing.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Subscribe to this Thread