Copy Once/ Copy Freely - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Copy Once/ Copy Freely

Hello I was told by one representative that all their channels were copy once while another representative told me that it is up to the individual station and that they don't control it at all.

So my question is has anyone had any experience with Metro cast and do the stations them self control what copy right protection is on the station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
The cable providers set them. Comcast and Verizon are the most lenient. They have everything up to premium movie channels as Copy Freely. I don't know anyone else who does that (though there almost certainly some).

Beyond that individual programs can be denoted as Copy Once on a channel that is otherwise typically Copy Freely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
The cable providers set them. Comcast and Verizon are the most lenient. They have everything up to premium movie channels as Copy Freely. I don't know anyone else who does that (though there almost certainly some).

Beyond that individual programs can be denoted as Copy Once on a channel that is otherwise typically Copy Freely.
So if they are copy once does that mean I have to use WMC or does that mean I have to capture it over composite?
post #4 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

If your channel/program is Copy Once, and you want to use a PC to record/watch, then you have to use Windows Media Center. A WMC extender logged into that PC would work too, but you need a PC configured to use WMC.

If I had a Copy Once program, and desperately needed to save it without the DRM, I could use the component/composite outputs on my Xbox 360 or DMA2100 to feed the video stream into a capture device.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

post #5 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
If I had a Copy Once program, and desperately needed to save it without the DRM, I could use the component/composite outputs on my Xbox 360 or DMA2100 to feed the video stream into a capture device.
Very clever. I never thought of that. Yet another reason to keep at least one Xbox around.

post #6 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If your channel/program is Copy Once, and you want to use a PC to record/watch, then you have to use Windows Media Center. A WMC extender logged into that PC would work too, but you need a PC configured to use WMC.

Could I get around all this and just use a composite capture device to start with in the first place
post #7 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
You wouldn't be saving the HD version then - only SD through component/composite. So, who cares?
post #8 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

What do you intend to capture? I mean, you *could* keep your current HD box and use a combination of PC, Hauppauge HD-PVR, and any DVR software you like to do recordings.

Having used WMC before there were cablecard tuners (forcing me to use capture) and now having the luxury of a cablecard theres no way I'd voluntarily go back.

For one thing you can only record/watch one channel at a time with capture. On a cablecard you can do up to six at once, depending on the device you get.

Secondly you are dealing with IR blasters, which aren't as bad as their reputation but are also no where near as convienent as an integrated tuner.

Third you are still paying for a set top box rental (unless you plan on buying an HTPC, buying an extender, and then buying a capture card to capture that extender's output).

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
You wouldn't be saving the HD version then - only SD through component/composite. So, who cares?
You could capture in HD and 5.1 with component/toslink and something like the HD-PVR. Not that I'm planning on it, but it is theoretically possible.

post #9 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What do you intend to capture? I mean, you *could* keep your current HD box and use a combination of PC, Hauppauge HD-PVR, and any DVR software you like to do recordings.

Having used WMC before there were cablecard tuners (forcing me to use capture) and now having the luxury of a cablecard theres no way I'd voluntarily go back.

For one thing you can only record/watch one channel at a time with capture. On a cablecard you can do up to six at once, depending on the device you get.

Secondly you are dealing with IR blasters, which aren't as bad as their reputation but are also no where near as convienent as an integrated tuner.

Third you are still paying for a set top box rental (unless you plan on buying an HTPC, buying an extender, and then buying a capture card to capture that extender's output).

You could capture in HD and 5.1 with component/toslink and something like the HD-PVR. Not that I'm planning on it, but it is theoretically possible.
The only downside to use wmc with the cable card is that I will be unable to transfer it over to a tablet or something to watch it on. Also would I then not use Intel NUC as a front end and just use a centon Extender?
post #10 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Also another reason I thinking capture was so I could transfer to direct TV which would give me better service and be cheaper,
post #11 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 371
There are several HDMI capture cards (up to 1080i60/1080p24) that circumvent HDCP. A WMC PC with HDMI in GPU or a cable/satellite TV STB to another PC with a HDMI capture card, or even a WMC PC with HDMI in GPU to the same PC with a HDMI capture card.

-

-
post #12 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecwilcox View Post
Also another reason I thinking capture was so I could transfer to direct TV

The only downside to use wmc with the cable card is that I will be unable to transfer it over to a tablet or something to watch it on. Also would I then not use Intel NUC as a front end and just use a centon Extender?
If you want to use DirectTV, you would have to use a capture device since CableCard doesn't work with satellite. That is a hassle because the capture card would have to change the channel on the satellite box for each show it attempts to record and it uses an IR fob to do this.

If you are just trying to view TV on a tablet, most of the TV shows are already available on Apple or Google tablets. You are looking at a lot of extra trouble to record shows in WMC and then convert and transfer to a tablet.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoJames View Post
If you want to use DirectTV, you would have to use a capture device since CableCard doesn't work with satellite. That is a hassle because the capture card would have to change the channel on the satellite box for each show it attempts to record and it uses an IR fob to do this.

If you are just trying to view TV on a tablet, most of the TV shows are already available on Apple or Google tablets. You are looking at a lot of extra trouble to record shows in WMC and then convert and transfer to a tablet.
Ya i would just use WMC but to the best of my knowledge it does not run on windows server 2012.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-18-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecwilcox View Post
Also another reason I thinking capture was so I could transfer to direct TV which would give me better service and be cheaper,

A single CableCARD gives you access to 6 streams. How much would direct TV charge you for service and 6 Direct TV boxes so that you can capture 6 streams at once. Also, you will need 6 capture devices.

I have never found satellite TV to be cheaper than land service. Most land service bundles your TV internet and phone, making bundle price much lower than individual services.

Verizon FiOS naked internet is like $60/month, bundle it with TV, and it is $50/month. All 3 services, TV, Internet and phone are $60/month. Even if Direct TV was $30/month for TV service, adding naked internet from your ISP will double the price, making it the same $60 for all 3 services from the land provider.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page