Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Cable TV via XBMC/ServerWMC on ARM devices

I've been tinkering with the idea of replacing my extender/Google TV combo for a while. I like the all in one fuctionality of a single device.

Now that XBMC is showing up on my Android and other ARM based devices I'm wondering if anyone has tried using ServerWMC to get live tv onto their XBMC/Android streamer box? I'm assuming something like Fire TV is out due to lack of an MPEG2 decoder.

My idea is that there will be one box on my bedroom tv that could handle live tv, playing my previously recorded WTV files, playing my movie library, and accessing Android apps like WatchESPN, HBO Go, Netflix, and Pandora.

My current setup does most of this between WMC and Plex, but my GTV is one of the unfortunate x86 boxes and things like HBO Go are dead on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-17-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
I still use Windows but I believe there are folks using Android clients, I think I even saw someone got it working on the Fire, but could be wrong. I'd suggest reading some of the threads here. It's not too busy of a forum, but has regular activity and support from the programmers.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-17-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the new Android TV that is coming with Android L support playready drm? So as long as cable card tuners have the right drivers for android, we should have many different dvr and live tv options instead of just windows media center?
post #4 of 19 Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow how has this not been broadcast around here more?!

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/27/a...-tv-google-tv/

Quote:
It has support for PlayReady DRM, which could eventually make it a viable Windows Media Center or HTPC alternative for the enthusiasts that want that. It can tune directly into live TV broadcasts with the support of third-party hardware. SiliconDust makes TV tuners for viewers to watch TV over antenna or cable on a computer (or PS3), and that's what provided the live feed you saw at the keynote. It has a plugin for Android TV that will let it work with the company's current hardware, and unspecified future products. Lessons learned from Google TV and improved Android L support mean companies like Plex are already in position with impressive media apps, and hopefully that list will grow before Android TV debuts this fall.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

post #5 of 19 Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Exciting for sure, but they probably still need CableLABS approval of some sort, among other approvals. There was one member somewhere on some forum (I don't remember) who was trying to get a license to build a WMC alternative, and CableLABS shot him down

FireTV and maybe Android in general supports some form of PlayReady too: https://developer.amazon.com/public/...sked-questions
post #6 of 19 Old 07-17-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Not to get too far off topic...

From the SD forums:

Quote:
Devices like HDHR and the Ceton products take content from the Cable Card and trans-crypt to WMDRM 10, then if needed based on CCI flags Media Center will take it to PlayReady when it writes it to disk, or leave it clear if the content is Copy Freely.

So, strictly speaking PlayReady is not enough. Of course, SD can implement whatever they like in their devices (like DTCP) as long as it gets the CL blessing.

https://www.silicondust.com/forum2/v...p?f=81&t=17429

I seem to recall reading elsewhere that PlayReady was only one piece of the puzzle.

Regardless, it does at least seem like a step in the right direction.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
^ Did you mean to post this in another thread?

post #8 of 19 Old 07-17-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Lol
post #9 of 19 Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey pittsoccer, your question got me thinking a little

I used to test alpha builds a lot with my nexus 7, but I eventually chalked everything up to a very poor wifi chipset (I don't have the newer n7). This was back with npvr and more proof of concept than anything, but npvr as a backend lasted a very short time for me and I never revisited everything after serverwmc became a reality

After your question, I went to testing my recorded mpeg2 1080i60 wtv files on my LG G2 through serverwmc. It worked fine, so I tried out live tv which also worked fine. I played around with the settings a little bit, but ended up turning off media codec in acceleration and leaving libstagefright enabled. Also you need to adjust the video playback option "sync playback to display" and toggle the adjust audio as well. Using resample audio didn't work for me nor did drop dupe, but audio clock worked fine. Audio was too far off otherwise

The G2 is a snapdragon 800 with 2GB ram. I made a video and uploaded it to video bam, but it was pretty amateur looking and for some reason uploading to video bam flipped it over it's horizontal axis

I'm not sure that you need a dedicated mpeg2 decoder for a quad core snapdragon, but libstagefright seems to work fine

I'd read through the amazon fire tv thread in the xbmc forums just to see where the support is on it and get a feel for how you want to use it and what you'll need to do to get xbmc installed, but I think it will play back all your wtv files just fine. I don't think it will handle everything the way an asus chromebox will playback wise and with snappy menu navigation, but you do get all the benefits of amazon's version of android with various add-ons
post #10 of 19 Old 07-18-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thats interesting stuff. What kind of buffer (if any) is there with live tv?

post #11 of 19 Old 07-18-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Well that's using serverwmc. Essentially your guide data, buffer, recording storage, recordings, recording schedule, and logos are locked to whichever wmc machine you run serverwmc on.

Used it with Comcast for a while but just switched to ota
post #12 of 19 Old 07-20-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I experimented on this recently. I ran XBMC on a Rasberry Pi and a Amazon Fire TV for awhile. The Fire TV has deinterlacing issues and some stability issues with XBMC. Both were annoyingly slow loading the guide. I ended up using Openelec on an older nettop (AMD E350). The performance was great but then you lose streaming features. Ended up going back to the Xbox extender. If you are OTA only the slow guide loading may be way more tolerable since there is far less to load.

For me it's just not quite there yet, and I'm going to hold out until Android TV arrives. I am afraid that is going to be a live tv only solution but we will see.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I assume that things will really ramp up development speed now that my wife just made us switch to Uverse and ditch the cable card.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have this setup now. I run an AMD A10-5700 windows 7 64 bit machine as the backend. I have 2 Amazon Fire TVs currently. The setup is great. I actually use only media codec and turn libstage off. I will have an occasionaly xbmc crash, but I have setup xbmc as the launcher so I just press the home button on the remote and XBMC loads up again. I think the crash has to do with cache not clearing when stopping a video, then if you play multiple videos in a row xbmc will crash, but it is rare. MPEG2 while not officially hardware accelerated seems to be hardware accelerated when I take a look at cpu usage with acceleration on and off on tv.

The FTV is great as I now have my movie librabry, live/recorded tv, music, streaming services, web browsing and gaming through Rom Collection Browser (emulators work very well on FTV with an old xbox 360 controller and usb wireless adapter). It is basically an all in one box and much more seamless than even my htpc.

The guide does take a few seconds to load(7 seconds to be exact), but I believe that has been improved upon in the new version of pvr.wmc (I can't confirm as I need to load it up).

Also as with all android devices there is no 24p, but I have not been able to identify stutter.

It's good to note that now that the device is rooted you can load the play store and mod the box pretty heavily. As I mentioned I am running xposed with a module for XBMC as the home launcher. Luckily since XBMC lets you set android apps as favorites you still have access to the KFTV(amazon) app and all android apps.
post #15 of 19 Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHTPC View Post
I have this setup now. I run an AMD A10-5700 windows 7 64 bit machine as the backend. I have 2 Amazon Fire TVs currently. ... MPEG2 while not officially hardware accelerated seems to be hardware accelerated when I take a look at cpu usage with acceleration on and off on tv.... live/recorded tv.....
Who is your Tv provider? cable? how well does FireTv handle 29/59 bug badly flagged framerate video?

check your PM

post #16 of 19 Old 07-22-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post
Who is your Tv provider? cable? how well does FireTv handle 29/59 bug badly flagged framerate video?

check your PM
Comcast is my provider, so I have copy freely. One of the channels I have always noticed the 29/59 bug is on HGTV on the main htpc. I optimized the AMD settings so that 29/59 is not noticeable. I do not notice the same panning issues, that I used to see on HGTV on my main AMD rig, on the Fire TV. I will use the file you provided to do a test tonight though.

Thanks JJ
post #17 of 19 Old 07-22-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHTPC View Post
Comcast is my provider, so I have copy freely. One of the channels I have always noticed the 29/59 bug is on HGTV on the main htpc. I optimized the AMD settings so that 29/59 is not noticeable. I do not notice the same panning issues, that I used to see on HGTV on my main AMD rig, on the Fire TV. I will use the file you provided to do a test tonight though.

Thanks JJ
As promised I downloaded and tested the video you provided. I saw no stuttering or strobing effects.

Take a look not a great recording but it should showcase.

http://youtu.be/8Axc4ofHgfU
post #18 of 19 Old 07-23-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Appreciate your Time. Gives some hope that we are not damned to 29/59 hell for all eternity. If FireTv goes on sale, I might take a stab at this.

post #19 of 19 Old 07-23-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Is the 29/59 bug not a WMC specific issue?
Reply Home Theater Computers
Gear in this thread - A10-5700 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page