Need help! Batch convert 3TB Drive full of VIDEO_TS to single file (mkv or whatever) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Need help! Batch convert 3TB Drive full of VIDEO_TS to single file (mkv or whatever)

Hi everyone

Hoping someone can help me out.... I have a 3TB drive full of my DVD movies that I have ripped from my collection that I would like to try and batch convert to another empty 3TB drive into a single file such as an MKV. I'm not concerned with compressing or re-encoding at all.

My reason for doing this is to make the files compatible with DLNA devices, and mainly for use in Plex. Right now plex has left off every one of my DVD rips

hopefully someone can help me out, I really do not feel like doing these all one at a time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-17-2014, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I just finished doing this exact thing with 16+ TB of movies (I'll be doing television shows for the next month I imagine). There re two programs out there that I know of that can handle the job with relatively little pain. They are both available as downloads from the MakeMKV forums.

Obviously, both require the user to have MakeMKV installed.

MakeMKV Batch Converter:
Download Link

Pros:
Fairly rapid interface
Very Simple to use with few options to mess with

Cons:
Does not delete old file when the conversion is done (not an issue if you are copying to a new drive)
Limited selection of how to automatically file the completed mkvs
On-going support seems to have come to a stall as of about 3 weeks ago (but there are still people active in the forums that can/will help with trouble-shooting)
Must do TS Folders and ISOs as separate jobs

Movies2MKV
Download Link

Pros:
Will erase VIDEO_TS folder when done converting it, meaning that as long as there is enough room left on the source drive for one more movie, then there is no need for a new drive
Will drop the converted MKV directly into the folder the conversion came from
Can handle a mix of VIDEO_TS and ISO in the same batch without issue
Has prompt and friendly support with fixes for issues usually coming within a handful of hours of a problem being reported
Can run concurrent conversions
Will pick up where you left off if you interrupt/close the program

Cons:
Uses the Java platform (this is an issue for some folks, but since the program runs offline and never needs to connect to the Internet, this is a non-issue for many others)
Because it uses Java, it is considerably slower
More options the user must pay attention to in order to make sure that everything is being handled properly (not so much a bad thing as simply a matter of a few more clicks)

I started out using Batch Converter. I now use Movies2MKV. It might be slower, but I simply set it and forget it. I let it run while I am sleeping and it knocks out a few hundred titles while I am dead to the world. The fact that it will both properly file away each of the MKV conversions and erase the origina file automatically is a huge plus for me. It saves me steps and time later, so the slower processing pretty much becomes a wash. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How is the quality on the MKV files? I'd be willing to dive into a project like that if I wasn't losing any detail or audio/etc.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-18-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
How is the quality on the MKV files? I'd be willing to dive into a project like that if I wasn't losing any detail or audio/etc.
Natively, MKVs are simply 1:1 copies of whatever media file you are converting. If you are converting a 1080p MKV with all the bells and whistles, then that's what you will have when you are done. It's just a different container without menus. The thing with MKVs is that the process allows for extreme customization in deciding what to keep and what not to keep, and tools like Handbrake allow you to compress the MKV to a rather extreme degree with relatively low loss of quality.

All that said, I don't mess with compressing the files at all. I stick with straight rips from the disk when it is feasible, otherwise I go 1:1 from the VIDEO_TS file for rips of DVDs or of the ISO for Blurays. Even doing just that, you'll find that your MKVs will take up significantly less room on a HDD than the full copy of the disc, as menus will be (and extras can be) eliminated.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-18-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
99% of my SD DVD rips are just the movie anyway, I do have a few BR rips that include the menu, but not many. I might do a test conversion. I know in the past when I've converted some VIDEO_TS folders to MKV they were smaller, not a huge amount, but over the course of a few hundred movies, could be significant.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-18-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
99% of my SD DVD rips are just the movie anyway, I do have a few BR rips that include the menu, but not many. I might do a test conversion. I know in the past when I've converted some VIDEO_TS folders to MKV they were smaller, not a huge amount, but over the course of a few hundred movies, could be significant.
DVD --> MKV is not going to create a great deal of space storage, especially if the rips are movie only already, but there will still be some. In my case I just finished ripping nearly 1900 movie titles, only about 300 of those were BR. That equaled a great deal of space saved. The biggest benefit of converting everything to MKV has, for me, been that nearly every streaming utility out there will play them. There are many players out there that won't play the VIDEO_TS files or play BR ISOs. Although playing those formats is becoming more common as newer players are released, MKV eliminates that worry.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-18-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 98
If I am understanding correctly, you want to take just the movie itself and turn it into one playable file. If this is the case read on -

I would suggest you first try to see if your DLNA picks up VOB files. Copy one out of your movies and place where it is accessible to DLNA. If these can be played then you will just need an easy way to append the vob files that make up the movie.

If you are using Windows, you can search the net for an old version of DVDshrink. This software is easy to use and gives you the option to generate one file, compressed or uncompressed and in native VOB format. The only catch might be that it is not a queue easy set up. It is meant for one disc or backup at a time. The key is to make sure you tick off the correct settings which will remain as a default.

The reason I prefer native vob files is that I know they are from DVD sources and my HD media is in another format - both are easily seen by my devices that handle DLNA. I usually do Title.vob for DVDs and Title.m2ts for HD movies as well as MKV. My disc player can read them, my TV can read them and a couple of other devices as well. Also, you can select to eliminate streams such as subs you don't need and other language dubs. This further reduces the size of the files. English language movies are simply the video + English audio. Foreign language movies is video + foreign language audio + English subtitles.

As well, if you know command prompt and the order of the vob files, you can do a manual "append" command and it merges the native vobs into one larger vob. I have done this but alas, not always easy to know the correct order of the vob files (and which ones to use) so DVDshrink makes it very easy.

Hope this helps out.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-05-2014, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions in this post. It's been very helpful. I seem to find myself in the same position as Nintari, I'm switching from XBMC to Plex and need to convert several TB of movies and TV shows in VOB format to MKV and rename the files so Plex can recognize them.

I have my movies and shows in separate folders, with each movie and show in it's own folder. So my folder structure looks like this:

Video Collection/Movies/Movie Title/Video_TS/file.vob

Video Collection/TV Shows/Show Title/SxxEyy - Episode Title/Video_TS/file.vob (all seasons are in the same folder)

Each Video_TS folder has multiple vob, ifo and bup files. I ripped with anydvd and never combined the vob files. I stripped out the menus and put any extras at the end of the main title. So, in XBMC, the main movie plays followed by the extras.

I haven't tried Movies2MKV yet, but when I use MakeMKV or MakeMKV batch converter, they convert the movies just fine, but they put the extras in a separate MKV file and I end up with names like "title01.mkv", "title02.mkv" and not the actual name of the movie. Apparently they are taking the name of the VOB file and passing it on.

Obviously, this is pretty useless for plex, which, I think, requires the movies to be named: Movie_Name (release date)/Movie_Name (release year).ext
and TV Shows to be named: Show_Name/Season XX/ShowName - sXXeYY - Optional_Info.ext

Can anyone suggest a workflow to convert and rename all my files? Is there an easy way to do this? I've spent some time researching this, and this is probably the best post I've seen on the issue. I don't really care about space, my main priority is lossless quality and not spending my summer vacation converting and renaming each movie manually. If it's any help, I used MyMovies to grab the metadata for XBMC, but I fear there's no easy way to import that into Plex.

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 304
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/top...-xbmc-library/

Use those two metadata importers in plex

There is one for movies and one for tv shows

First (not sure about this part) if you can use one of the recommended batch converters above to drop an mkv into the existing title folders and delete the _TS folders

Then update your xbmc library and clean your library as well

Then export your xbmc library as separate files (which will put art and nfos in each of your folders)

Then point plex to where your xbmc library was pointed to with the movies nfo and tv shows nfo importers checked and it should match up to what you already have. I use the same ones from the link in my xbmc / plex setup and I don't have any issue with mismatch between any of my shows or movies (which are all named to xbmc conventions)
post #10 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Not to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if there was a similar program that could do a batch conversion of ripped DVDs (full folder structure) into an .iso format.

____
Axel

post #11 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve57200 View Post
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions in this post. It's been very helpful. I seem to find myself in the same position as Nintari, I'm switching from XBMC to Plex and need to convert several TB of movies and TV shows in VOB format to MKV and rename the files so Plex can recognize them.

I have my movies and shows in separate folders, with each movie and show in it's own folder. So my folder structure looks like this:

Video Collection/TV Shows/Show Title/SxxEyy - Episode Title/Video_TS/file.vob (all seasons are in the same folder)

Each Video_TS folder has multiple vob, ifo and bup files. I ripped with anydvd and never combined the vob files. I stripped out the menus and put any extras at the end of the main title. So, in XBMC, the main movie plays followed by the extras.

I haven't tried Movies2MKV yet, but when I use MakeMKV or MakeMKV batch converter, they convert the movies just fine, but they put the extras in a separate MKV file and I end up with names like "title01.mkv", "title02.mkv" and not the actual name of the movie. Apparently they are taking the name of the VOB file and passing it on.

Obviously, this is pretty useless for plex, which, I think, requires the movies to be named: Movie_Name (release date)/Movie_Name (release year).ext
and TV Shows to be named: Show_Name/Season XX/ShowName - sXXeYY - Optional_Info.ext

Can anyone suggest a workflow to convert and rename all my files? Is there an easy way to do this? I've spent some time researching this, and this is probably the best post I've seen on the issue. I don't really care about space, my main priority is lossless quality and not spending my summer vacation converting and renaming each movie manually. If it's any help, I used MyMovies to grab the metadata for XBMC, but I fear there's no easy way to import that into Plex.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There are a few things that will help you with your conversion process here. First, when ripping the movies, you can really jack up the size of the file to be skipped by setting the converter to skip anything under 1800 seconds. That means it will ignore anything under 30 minutes, leaving yo with far less to weed through. The other option you have for movies is simply to check the box for "Main Title Only".

Secondly, there is an option to change the output name if you are using batch conversion. Both Batch Converter and Movies2MKV will allow you to set the new name as the old one, however, this is one place where Movies2MKV shines. Under options, you can customize where the files go, including selecting the option to retain the television file storage format. For movies the process is fairly easy and straight forward. If you specify you want to retain the path it will go from:

to
Video Collection/Movies/Movie Title/Movie Title.mkv

Also, with Movies2MKV, there GUI will list all the conversions and the end result. You have the opportunity before the conversion starts to go in and alter anything you see that you want changed before you actually commit the program to making the conversions. This allows you to go through and clean up file names ahead of time.

For television shows, things are a bit more complicated, but not overly so. The problem comes from the specific naming conventions used by XBMC and PLEX. In Movies2MKV, setting everything up to retain the path is still the same, but when it does the conversion you will get this:

Show_Name/Season XX/ShowName - sXXeYY
to
Show_Name/Season XX/ShowName - sXXeYY Episode1.mkv
Show_Name/Season XX/ShowName - sXXeYY Episode2.mkv
Show_Name/Season XX/ShowName - sXXeYY Episode3.mkv

Depending on how you currently have your folders named, going back and cleaning up names can be a big hassle or a minor one. In both cases the fix is simple, but it just comes down to the amount of time you will need to dedicate to cleaning things up. When I was doing the conversion, since I already had the DVDs ripped and titled to be compatible with XBMC my folders looked like this:

TV Shows/Show Name/Season/Name.sXXeXXeYYeZZ

This listed all the episodes on the disc so that XBMC would still list them with titles. Then, when I selected an episode, it would simply load the proper DVD and I would select the episode from the menu. When I made the conversion, it was fairly easy to rename, because then every disc came out looking like:

TV Shows/Show Name/Season/Name.sXXeXXeYYeZZ Episode1
TV Shows/Show Name/Season/Name.sXXeXXeYYeZZ Episode2
TV Shows/Show Name/Season/Name.sXXeXXeYYeZZ Episode3

So all I had to do in order to rename the individual episodes properly was go back and make minor tweaks to the string.

When I was originally ripping television shows, I wish I would have known then what I know now about streaming formats and the like. It would have saved me a great deal of time.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if there was a similar program that could do a batch conversion of ripped DVDs (full folder structure) into an .iso format.

____
Axel
There are several free programs out there that will do this. A popular choice is ImgBurn. I'm not sure if that one does it natively or not, but I know several people that have used it for batch conversion, so finding the batch converter should be easy enough. As a matter of fact here is where someone explains how to use the program to do that. It isn't the only option out there though. Chetwood's Multishrink will also do the job (no shrinking actually required).

Last edited by Aryn Ravenlocke; 08-06-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Fix link
post #13 of 18 Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
There are several free programs out there that will do this. A popular choice is ImgBurn. I'm not sure if that one does it natively or not, but I know several people that have used it for batch conversion, so finding the batch converter should be easy enough. As a matter of fact here is where someone explains how to use the program to do that. It isn't the only option out there though. Chetwood's Multishrink will also do the job (no shrinking actually required).

Thanks, I'll check it out.
____
Axel

post #14 of 18 Old 08-08-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
There are a few things that will help you with your conversion process here. First, when ripping the movies, you can really jack up the size of the file to be skipped by setting the converter to skip anything under 1800 seconds. That means it will ignore anything under 30 minutes, leaving yo with far less to weed through. The other option you have for movies is simply to check the box for "Main Title Only".

Secondly, there is an option to change the output name if you are using batch conversion. Both Batch Converter and Movies2MKV will allow you to set the new name as the old one, however, this is one place where Movies2MKV shines. Under options, you can customize where the files go, including selecting the option to retain the television file storage format. For movies the process is fairly easy and straight forward. If you specify you want to retain the path it will go from:

to
Video Collection/Movies/Movie Title/Movie Title.mkv

Also, with Movies2MKV, there GUI will list all the conversions and the end result. You have the opportunity before the conversion starts to go in and alter anything you see that you want changed before you actually commit the program to making the conversions. This allows you to go through and clean up file names ahead of time.

For television shows, things are a bit more complicated, but not overly so. The problem comes from the specific naming conventions used by XBMC and PLEX. In Movies2MKV, setting everything up to retain the path is still the same, but when it does the conversion you will get this:

Show_Name/Season XX/ShowName - sXXeYY
to
Show_Name/Season XX/ShowName - sXXeYY Episode1.mkv
Show_Name/Season XX/ShowName - sXXeYY Episode2.mkv
Show_Name/Season XX/ShowName - sXXeYY Episode3.mkv

Depending on how you currently have your folders named, going back and cleaning up names can be a big hassle or a minor one. In both cases the fix is simple, but it just comes down to the amount of time you will need to dedicate to cleaning things up. When I was doing the conversion, since I already had the DVDs ripped and titled to be compatible with XBMC my folders looked like this:

TV Shows/Show Name/Season/Name.sXXeXXeYYeZZ

This listed all the episodes on the disc so that XBMC would still list them with titles. Then, when I selected an episode, it would simply load the proper DVD and I would select the episode from the menu. When I made the conversion, it was fairly easy to rename, because then every disc came out looking like:

TV Shows/Show Name/Season/Name.sXXeXXeYYeZZ Episode1
TV Shows/Show Name/Season/Name.sXXeXXeYYeZZ Episode2
TV Shows/Show Name/Season/Name.sXXeXXeYYeZZ Episode3

So all I had to do in order to rename the individual episodes properly was go back and make minor tweaks to the string.

When I was originally ripping television shows, I wish I would have known then what I know now about streaming formats and the like. It would have saved me a great deal of time.
BEen away on vacation with no internet or phone

I started to try this on my server before I left and was incredibly happy with how quick it worked... however I ran in to an issue similar to what someone else on this thread was asking.. but with a twist.

When I try to rip from one drive to another (since the source drive is full) it does not place the files in to a folder. I tried messing with the settings a bit but could never get it to go in to a named folder now I could just suck it up and make folders and put stuff in individual folders but again figured I'd save the aggravation and research this and ask here
post #15 of 18 Old 08-08-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post
BEen away on vacation with no internet or phone

I started to try this on my server before I left and was incredibly happy with how quick it worked... however I ran in to an issue similar to what someone else on this thread was asking.. but with a twist.

When I try to rip from one drive to another (since the source drive is full) it does not place the files in to a folder. I tried messing with the settings a bit but could never get it to go in to a named folder now I could just suck it up and make folders and put stuff in individual folders but again figured I'd save the aggravation and research this and ask here
Depending on the program you are using, this can be addressed in a few different ways. Quite possibly the easiest is achieved using Movies2MKV. At the top of the GUI is a single box that you can check labeled "Remove original movie". If you have this box checked, the only space you need to have on you "full" HD is the amount of space equal to the largest of the files. Basically, if you have enough room for even one more movie, you're fine. If you have this option checked, as soon as a conversion is complete, the original file is deleted, leaving you with an empty VIDEO_TS folder and a spiffy new mkv. You also have the option in the program to have the file saved to the original directory, maintaining the television show path. This still doesn't do all the work for you, but it gets you about 85% of the way there. Unfortunately, you will still have to deal with each disc being converted into:

Original disc name Episode 1
Orignial disc name Episode 2
Original disc name Episode 3

There are bulk name converters that make the final step of properly titling the shows a total breeze.

If you are using MKV Batch COnverter instead, the option to delete the original file does not exist. In that case, yes, you do need the extra drive. Because you are saving to an outside path, your best solution is to create a set of folders in the outside drive. When I use Batch Converter (it is faster and at processing) I do one show at a time, but I'll do all the season within the show. I then set the output to retain the original file name. This makes sure that I get

Disc name - title0
Disc name - title1
Disc name - title2

If you go with the default ouput name, you'll run into difficulties as each disc is handled individually and so you would have a bunch of generic lines:

title0
title1
title2
title0(1)
title1(1)
title2(1)

That's just messy and unacceptable.

Drop me a PM if you have any questions. I'll walk you through your project.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you

I was just nervous about deleting the original files lol, hate to have to re-rip if something happened or went wrong. I'll play around more tonight.
post #17 of 18 Old 08-08-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post
Thank you

I was just nervous about deleting the original files lol, hate to have to re-rip if something happened or went wrong. I'll play around more tonight.
I was a bit nervous at first as well. With movies, it turned out there were zero worries. Eventually, after a few test batches under different conditions, I would up doing my batches one HDD at a time - or about 3TB worth of movies. The other nice thing about that program is that it will do both VIDEO_TS and ISO mixed together, not making you run a separate batch for each one.

With television shows, because of the finicky nature of episode breaks on a disc, I found it best to continue doing things either one show or season at a time. That way, if there is an issue, it shows up rapidly, and there are only one or two episodes to re-rip.For instance, I ran into the issue with the "Side B" of all the discs in The Pretender Season 1. For whatever reason batches were identifying one episode (the first) instead of two. So, I just went back and re-ripped the second episode of each. It took me more time to dig the discs out of the box than it did to actually fix the issue.

I have found this to be a very rare issue though, and almost always associated with odd discs (like two-sided ones). No matter which solution you choose though, because episode discs are so picky, you run into the risk of an occasional misread. That's why I strongly recommend one show at a time. It only takes a few minutes once the batch is done to quickly scan all the file entries to make sure that there are the proper number (22 episode season = 22 files) and that all the episodes are roughly the same size, usually within 100,000. Sometimes a small file gets misread, and so you'll find you have 5 files for 4 episodes. Check the sizes. If one is really small in comparison, that's the one to delete. If they all look about the same, that's when I start with the last episode and work my way back. I load the last episode up and make sure it isn't some sort of "making of" special or some such.

If you are setting you time length cut-off right though, you should rarely encounter these issues. For 1-hour shows, I generally set the cut-off for 35 minutes, as each episode will likely be 40-44 minutes in length. I give myself the 5 minute buffer just to be safe though. However, by getting it that close, I drop off 95% of disc fillers like trailers and commentaries. For 30-minute shows, I set the time drop-off for 18 minutes.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-09-2014, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've used the console version of MakeMKV with this .BAT program:

You execute it in the directory that holds all your VIDEO_TS movie directories: "C:\Media1\Movies". It goes through each movie directory, displays the information about the VIDEO_TS movie, converts it to a MKV file, then renames the title00.mkv file to the directory_name.mkv. This assumes the directory name is the title of the movie. Since all my VIDEO_TS rips only had the main movie and the audio track I wanted, I didn't worry about the picking the correct title and audio.
@echo off
FOR /D %%X IN (%1) do (
"C:\Program Files\MakeMKV\makemkvcon.exe" info file:"C:\Media1\Movies\%%X\VIDEO_TS"
"C:\Program Files\MakeMKV\makemkvcon.exe" mkv file:"C:\Media1\Movies\%%X\VIDEO_TS" 0 C:\Media1\Movies\%%X
ren C:\Media1\Movies\%%X\title00.mkv %%X.mkv
)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page