1Likes
  • 1 Post By Aryn Ravenlocke

post #1 of 21 Old 07-19-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
movie menu with htpc

I currently have about 12 Terabyte's of movie's. I currently have a Word document which I print off, then my friends find a movie to watch. Is there a program/database I can use with my P.C. that will show the name of the movie along with a picture? Something I can update when I store movies on my hard drive. I'm currently using Cyberlink Power DVD 12 to play movies. I tried using Microsoft media player with limited results. (it sucked). I am currently using Windows 7, Do I need to upgrade to Windows 8.1?
I'm just looking for a program to quickly view movies, It doesn't need to be a point/click/start option. Just something better than a printed word document.
Something like IMDB but a list of MY movies.
Will JRiver media center do what I need?

Last edited by rlhaudio; 07-19-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-19-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Wrong area to post this. But you can use XBMC, JRiver, Plex etc.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhaudio View Post
I currently have about 12 Terabyte's of movie's. I currently have a Word document which I print off, then my friends find a movie to watch. Is there a program/database I can use with my P.C. that will show the name of the movie along with a picture? Something I can update when I store movies on my hard drive. I'm currently using Cyberlink Power DVD 12 to play movies. I tried using Microsoft media player with limited results. (it sucked). I am currently using Windows 7, Do I need to upgrade to Windows 8.1?
I'm just looking for a program to quickly view movies, It doesn't need to be a point/click/start option. Just something better than a printed word document.
Something like IMDB but a list of MY movies.
Will JRiver media center do what I need?
A program that has been around and getting refined for a very long time now called DVD Profiler works very nicely for what you are describing. It has all sorts of options (easily identified and selected) that can turn the program into your own version of a local IMDb, or you can go as advanced as creating a lending library out of it. The latter option will let you create profiles for all you friends, and then assign which movies they have "checked out", when they are due back, and even keep a list of which ones they have borrowed in the past if you want. It will also do trailers for the titles and even has an internal player option (that actually isn't bad, but isn't XBMC either).

DVD Profiler

Last edited by Aryn Ravenlocke; 07-20-2014 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Fix link
post #4 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
A program that has been around and getting refined for a very long time now called DVD Profiler works very nicely for what you are describing. It has all sorts of options (easily identified and selected) that can turn the program into your own version of a local IMDb, or you can go as advanced as creating a lending library out of it. The latter option will let you create profiles for all you friends, and then assign which movies they have "checked out", when they are due back, and even keep a list of which ones they have borrowed in the past if you want. It will also do trailers for the titles and even has an internal player option (that actually isn't bad, but isn't XBMC either).

DVD Profiler
That sounds cool, thanks for the post. I downloaded some free trials of Jriver, xvmc, and a few other free wares. Now I have to learn a little of each as I go.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #5 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 206
It sounds to me like you want a front end.

This is what Media Browser looks like. You can set it to launch Power DVD to play your files
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mb5.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	171658   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb4.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	171666   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	171674   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	171682   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	171690  

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #6 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
It sounds to me like you want a front end.

This is what Media Browser looks like. You can set it to launch Power DVD to play your files
Here is a typical scenario.
Lets watch a movie.
ok.
What movies do you have.
well here is the folder, pic one.
Umm what is this movie about? ie. Columbus circle.
Heck I dunno, havnt seen it in a long time.
do you have a pic, guess we can search imdb.
Sometimes, just seeing a picture can jog someone's memory. I guess it would be nice IF it could launch the movie through Power DVD as well. Does it only show a picture or does it give a brief description of the movie too?

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #7 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

this is a list view in media browser. it lists all the movies on the left. on the right is the synopsis, poster, and a background image. I save up to 20 backgrounds for each film and they rotate every few seconds

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

post #8 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

selecting a movie gives you info about the film and the file

you can view actors in a film and search your library for other films starring them

click on each of the pictures in my first post (if you haven't already). that will give you an idea of what this type of software looks like. xbmc, media browser, plex, jriver, media portal, medios, my movies, and more all do this to various degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mb7.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	172450   Click image for larger version

Name:	mb6.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	172458  

Last edited by pittsoccer33; 07-20-2014 at 07:16 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

YES!!! That exactly what I am looking for. After installing the product does it automatically search my drive and list all the movies with a quick profile? or do I have to save each background myself?
I just download the media browser plug in? and that's it?

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #10 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the standard across most of these programs is to look for file folders and files named a certain way. Step one is telling the program which file folder(s) your movies are in:

-Movies
--King King (2005)
---King Kong (2005).mkv

Whats its really looking for is the folder name. The release year is really only important on a film like my example King Kong, where there are several films with the same name. They all typically use themoviedb.org to autopopulate the images, synopsis, actors, genre, etc. On tv shows the file name is important. I name mine S01E01.mkv, S01E02.mkv, etc.

From there the software saves a few things
-folder.jpg to act as the movie poster
-backdrop.jpg, backdrop1.jpg, backdrop2.jpg to fill out the backgrounds (often called fanart)
-depending on your software it might also save a movie.xml or series.xml file for the synopsis (this can be stored elsewhere).

You can also use the great piece of freeware called Media Center Master to scan your media and add the images outside of whatever front end you choose.

post #11 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

if youre using windows media center then you want what theyre calling the media browser classic plug in now (I haven't updated in several years). they offer different "themes" to change the appearance of the library. im using the theme called chocolate in these pictures. I also like diamond and subdued.

post #12 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

I ripped my collection to my hard drive using slysoft. I play back with Power DVD. I can let the software search my hard drive, nothing is them except movies. Will it automatically find the image for a picture? Im not using anything yet. but I know windows media player is included with Microsoft windows. Is it ok to use that program and install the media browser plugin or should I install something else? Nothing as been used yet so my computer is clean from any scans or changes.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #13 of 21 Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I ripped my collection to my hard drive using slysoft. I play back with Power DVD. I can let the software search my hard drive, nothing is them except movies. Will it automatically find the image for a picture? Im not using anything yet. but I know windows media player is included with Microsoft windows. Is it ok to use that program and install the media browser plugin or should I install something else? Nothing as been used yet so my computer is clean from any scans or changes.
Once you have the program installed, point it at the drives the movies are on. The metadata scraper will do most of the rest of the work, including finding art and the synopses. If you used AnyDVD to rip your movies and left the DVDs as VIDEO_TS files and want to use PowerDVD, you can do that. Many front ends are starting to support DVD and ISO files now, but still not all of them. Most front ends can have an external player (i.e. PowerDVD) as the default player. Once you find a front end you are happy with, you can putz about and see what it is and is not capable of doing. The customization combinations are nearly endless.

For instance, I have my 30+ TB on a disk farm that is controlled by Media Browser. It handles the server duties. I use XBMC for my front end. Media Browser controls the server aspect (allowing me to stream to multiple clients) including tracking viewing data and XBMC handles the spiffy on-screen display stuff.I have PowerDVD as well, but have never found an instance where my AnyDVDND rips needed PowerDVD to step in and do any of the lifting (though it would be needed for 3D if I didn't use my actual BR player for that).
post #14 of 21 Old 07-21-2014, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

in the beginning of using any dvd I ripped them to VIDEO_TS but now im ripping them as .ISO files.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #15 of 21 Old 07-21-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I installed Media Browser 2.6, when running Media Player it identifies my movies but its only in TEXT format. I think I found 4 titles with art work. Am I doing something wrong? Depending which tab I click I get a different movie count. ie. if I click titles.. it says 119, if I click genre it says, 4. Do I need to rescan my drives?
I installed Media Browser 2.6 server. Is their a workstation copy I need or do I need a different front end running? ie Plex, emdb, JRiverXMBC 13 gotham. Those are the ones I have downloaded so far.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #16 of 21 Old 07-21-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I installed Media Browser 2.6, when running Media Player it identifies my movies but its only in TEXT format. I think I found 4 titles with art work. Am I doing something wrong? Depending which tab I click I get a different movie count. ie. if I click titles.. it says 119, if I click genre it says, 4. Do I need to rescan my drives?
I installed Media Browser 2.6 server. Is their a workstation copy I need or do I need a different front end running? ie Plex, emdb, JRiverXMBC 13 gotham. Those are the ones I have downloaded so far.
Just as an aside, you probably want to make sure you don't have all of those running at the same time. Some folks have had issues running multiple servers on the same machine accessing the same library. It's not a major issue, but it can happen.

Now, as to your question about movie IDs, I'm not sure what you mean by it identifies them only in text format. Do you mean all the info is there and that it simply is not downloading artwork? If that is the case, I would check two things for starters. First, I would check to make sure that you have the artwork options turned on in the server configuration. Second, I would open up the metadata on a few of those that were ID by text only and make sure that all the information is actually being downloaded. MB will list all the movies you have, using the names you have given. But sometimes it needs a nudge in the right direction as to which title you actually mean.

Also, you listed that you are using MB 2.6. That's a very decent program. However, if you are going to go with the Media Browser option (an experience I highly recommend) I would strongly suggest you discard MB 2.6 and download MB 3 media server.

Media Browser 3

MB3 is a far superior platform and even more intuitive than the one you are using. Furthermore, it can be used in conjunction with Media Browser Theatre (a front end program like XBMC), XBMC, and many other front end options including WMC. Heck, if you are only using the one PC to both act as server and as HTPC, you can even use Media Browser 3 without a dedicated front end program.

It sounds to me like for whatever reason your media is not actually being fully identified. If you send me a PM, I'll try walking you through a step-by-step install. Also, if you want something "right now", at the top of this section of the forums is a sticky about step-by-step setting up of XBMC as a server/front end.
pittsoccer33 likes this.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-21-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

That's where I wasn't sure, I thought I had to install media browser server. (for the server side) and media browser theater for any pc wanting to connect. However 90% of the time I will be loading/watching the movie on the same p.c. correct, It identifies the movie but is NOT downloading the artwork. It only locating movies on 2 of my hard drives. (when I originally tried using media player) it is NOT finding my collection on the other 3 hard drives. I cant seem to locate the option manually. I tell it to auto scan but no luck, Do you want to me install media browser 3 theater or classic?
I am not running any programs currently, just my initial setup of windows media center. so I can install any program you recommend.

I will send a pm as well. The reason I stopped using media center 2 years ago was because it was not downloading my art work so what was the point. a word document worked just as well but not that I seen these posts with nice art work, details, etc. I would much rather have something working.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #18 of 21 Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

HTPC front ends have three parts.
-the server (the part you associate your movie file folders with)
-the library viewer (the part with the fancy artwork)
-the player (the part that actual plays the files)

sometimes these are all integrated into one single download and piece of software (like default vanilla WMC). You add your media library, view your movie collection, and play everything all within one piece of software.

The new Media Browser 3 model uses a server+client approach. You start with downloading server software. You tell the server software which file folders your movies are in. The server and client can be the same machine.

Then you need a front end/library viewer. Here you can use their mobile apps, WMC+Media Browser Classic plug in (a sperate download), XBMC, or their own Media Browser Theater (another separate download). You associate this software with the server you set up, and then you can view your movie collection

The third part is the player. You mention that you like using PowerDVD to actually play the files. You can set up these different library viewers to launch PowerDVD instead of using their built in players if want.

post #19 of 21 Old 07-21-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

so I need to install media browser 3 server. Do a scan of my hard drives to locate my movies. Then install media browser theater to run as my client (what I will see on my screen) or I could install xbmc as my client. When I select a movie will it automatically play through power dvd? It doesn't have too, In fact I don't care what program plays the movie unless its 3d. Its its unable to play directly from the gui I can still just click the .iso and mount to a drive.

I installed media browser 3 server and media browser 3 theater.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's

Last edited by rlhaudio; 07-21-2014 at 12:10 PM.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-21-2014, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Now its starting to populate. When I add folders. Should I add each hard drive as a separate folder or can I add them all to 1. ie. On this pc. I have movies on 5 separate hard drives. Within media browser server. I could add all my hard drives within one folder or should I keep them separate.

QSC 2150 for HT
DIY Tempest
DIY Ultimax Sub's
post #21 of 21 Old 07-21-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Now its starting to populate. When I add folders. Should I add each hard drive as a separate folder or can I add them all to 1. ie. On this pc. I have movies on 5 separate hard drives. Within media browser server. I could add all my hard drives within one folder or should I keep them separate.
I sent you a PM that will walk you through the process.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page