Hey guys, I need some help in picking out and implementing the hardware & software that will be necessary to meet my goals in having a computer based home theater/music setup. I am new to this, so please be gentle and bear with me
I currently have an aging Yamaha RX-V663 and a 5.4 DIY speaker setup. My current, and only source is an older Sony BDP-590. I have external amplifiers for all of my speakers & subs. I currently have a cheap Windows 8 laptop, a iPad 3, and an iPhone-5s. I am not sure what hardware would be needed to meet these goals, but, it would be nice if I could get rid of or not have do upgrade my Yamaha receiver! I have been seriously considering the Asus Chrome thingy, but. If my current laptop will work, then that is ok too. Choices for software are JRiver or XBMC. I am open to any and all ideas,, but I am new to this so please keep it in laymen's terms! Here are my goals & questions;
1. My use for this setup will be to play back BluRay disk and movie downloads. Are there ways to download BluRay movies that would have the lossless DDTrueHD & DTS-MA, or is that technology not yet available?
2. Is Netflix capable of sending out DDTrueHD & DTS-MA quality movies? Or just plain old Dolby Digital? I would like to be able to download movies that are of good sound quality, but, these will mostly be for my wife as I prefer BluRays.
3. It will be important to be able to stream Dolby Digital movies to two other rooms besides the main HT.
4. I would like to have the ability to EQ my Left+Right+Center Channel+Subs. I know that JRiver has this option, but, I am not sure what, if any hardware would be necessary for this? This is a big plus for JRiver if it is still capable for this and XBMC is not.
5. I want to be able to play lossless music files on the main theater room and the living room. The files will be downloaded from HDTracks.
6. I want to be able to access Netflix and iTunes from the theater room, living room, and bathroom.
7. With #6
in mind, I have a dedicated 2-channel setup in my Living Room, and small inwall speakers in my bathroom, so how would I set this up so that they will be able to play music without being directly connected to the computer? Also, I have separate amplifiers for them, but, no separate receivers. So how would I make that work do where I can get my lossless FLAC, and my iTunes to play in these rooms?