Help with possible software & hardware options for my multi-room setup! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 07-20-2014, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Help with possible software & hardware options for my multi-room setup!

Hey guys, I need some help in picking out and implementing the hardware & software that will be necessary to meet my goals in having a computer based home theater/music setup. I am new to this, so please be gentle and bear with me

I currently have an aging Yamaha RX-V663 and a 5.4 DIY speaker setup. My current, and only source is an older Sony BDP-590. I have external amplifiers for all of my speakers & subs. I currently have a cheap Windows 8 laptop, a iPad 3, and an iPhone-5s. I am not sure what hardware would be needed to meet these goals, but, it would be nice if I could get rid of or not have do upgrade my Yamaha receiver! I have been seriously considering the Asus Chrome thingy, but. If my current laptop will work, then that is ok too. Choices for software are JRiver or XBMC. I am open to any and all ideas,, but I am new to this so please keep it in laymen's terms! Here are my goals & questions;

1. My use for this setup will be to play back BluRay disk and movie downloads. Are there ways to download BluRay movies that would have the lossless DDTrueHD & DTS-MA, or is that technology not yet available?

2. Is Netflix capable of sending out DDTrueHD & DTS-MA quality movies? Or just plain old Dolby Digital? I would like to be able to download movies that are of good sound quality, but, these will mostly be for my wife as I prefer BluRays.

3. It will be important to be able to stream Dolby Digital movies to two other rooms besides the main HT.

4. I would like to have the ability to EQ my Left+Right+Center Channel+Subs. I know that JRiver has this option, but, I am not sure what, if any hardware would be necessary for this? This is a big plus for JRiver if it is still capable for this and XBMC is not.

5. I want to be able to play lossless music files on the main theater room and the living room. The files will be downloaded from HDTracks.

6. I want to be able to access Netflix and iTunes from the theater room, living room, and bathroom.

7. With #6 in mind, I have a dedicated 2-channel setup in my Living Room, and small inwall speakers in my bathroom, so how would I set this up so that they will be able to play music without being directly connected to the computer? Also, I have separate amplifiers for them, but, no separate receivers. So how would I make that work do where I can get my lossless FLAC, and my iTunes to play in these rooms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-20-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
1. My use for this setup will be to play back BluRay disk and movie downloads. Are there ways to download BluRay movies that would have the lossless DDTrueHD & DTS-MA, or is that technology not yet available?
There is only one way to download bluray quality, and that is using a Kalaidescape Cinema One (they are $4000). The movie studios are terrified to let you have high quality digital copies.

Quote:
2. Is Netflix capable of sending out DDTrueHD & DTS-MA quality movies? Or just plain old Dolby Digital? I would like to be able to download movies that are of good sound quality, but, these will mostly be for my wife as I prefer BluRays.
Netflix doesn't have anything lossless yet. Depending on the device some offer 1080p and 5.1 audio. But you definitely can't download them. They are streamed on-demand over the net. You can't save them locally.

Quote:
3. It will be important to be able to stream Dolby Digital movies to two other rooms besides the main HT.
What source do you intend to use for this? I can get Dolby audio lots of places.

Quote:
4. I would like to have the ability to EQ my Left+Right+Center Channel+Subs. I know that JRiver has this option, but, I am not sure what, if any hardware would be necessary for this? This is a big plus for JRiver if it is still capable for this and XBMC is not.
I've never used it but I know Dirac makes pc-based room correction http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx

Quote:
5. I want to be able to play lossless music files on the main theater room and the living room. The files will be downloaded from HDTracks.
http://www.hdtracks.com/faq#2

Those are the audio formats they sell. I've ripped some CDs to FLAC, but Windows doesn't have great support for it (you can make it run in Windows). So the last few CDs I did were WMA lossless. Ask for some more opinions as to what will play nice with all your equipment (I'd say FLAC if Apple supports it).

Quote:
6. I want to be able to access Netflix and iTunes from the theater room, living room, and bathroom.
This is more dependent on the hardware in each of those locations than what PC software you choose.

Quote:
7. With #6 in mind, I have a dedicated 2-channel setup in my Living Room, and small inwall speakers in my bathroom, so how would I set this up so that they will be able to play music without being directly connected to the computer? Also, I have separate amplifiers for them, but, no separate receivers. So how would I make that work do where I can get my lossless FLAC, and my iTunes to play in these rooms?
Apple TVs in each location might be the best for you, since they are relatively inexpensive, can do Netflix, and will allow you to Airplay your music right to them. You just need to be able to connect them to the amplifier somehow (I think they only have digital audio outs). Sonos connect does this too but for a bit more money.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 25 Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
There is only one way to download bluray quality, and that is using a Kalaidescape Cinema One (they are $4000). The movie studios are terrified to let you have high quality digital copies.

Netflix doesn't have anything lossless yet. Depending on the device some offer 1080p and 5.1 audio. But you definitely can't download them. They are streamed on-demand over the net. You can't save them locally.

What source do you intend to use for this? I can get Dolby audio lots of places.

I've never used it but I know Dirac makes pc-based room correction http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx

http://www.hdtracks.com/faq#2

Those are the audio formats they sell. I've ripped some CDs to FLAC, but Windows doesn't have great support for it (you can make it run in Windows). So the last few CDs I did were WMA lossless. Ask for some more opinions as to what will play nice with all your equipment (I'd say FLAC if Apple supports it).

This is more dependent on the hardware in each of those locations than what PC software you choose.

Apple TVs in each location might be the best for you, since they are relatively inexpensive, can do Netflix, and will allow you to Airplay your music right to them. You just need to be able to connect them to the amplifier somehow (I think they only have digital audio outs). Sonos connect does this too but for a bit more money.
Ok, so BluRay downloads are not possible. So I will need a BluRay drive in my PC if I want to play BluRays, right?

As far as streaming from NetFlix, what is the best way to do this, hardware wise? Would I at least be able to get DD 5.1 audio on these streamed movies?

As far as sources, I am open to all options, HTPC or whatever. If I go that route. Do you think that the Asus ChromeBox with a BluRay drive would be best for someone on a budget? Like I said earlier, my goals are to have NetFlix streaming capability to 2-3 rooms, including my main theater room, and to be able to stream Lossless FLAC, WAV, and various mp3 downloads from my iTunes...to 2-3 rooms, I want the best possible sound quality for both movies and music. It would also be nice if I could use the EQ capabilities of JRiver, and control everything from my iPad and iPhone.

Regarding the Apple TV in each room, that is definitely a possibility! Would I need a pre-amp or receiver? Or could I just go straight from the Ape TV to my amplifiers that will be powering the speakers in each room?
post #4 of 25 Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, so BluRay downloads are not possible. So I will need a BluRay drive in my PC if I want to play BluRays, right?
Quote:
You have a few options when it comes to playing a bluray disc in a computer:
-buy bluray player software like Arcsoft's Total Media Theater or Cyberlink Power DVD. This is the only way to get 100% support for all disc features.
-buy an encryption unlocker like Slysoft AnyDVD and use an open source player watch the main movie.
-remux the movies on the discs to mkv files (or something similar) and save them on your pc. I think this is the most popular option on the forum.

If you save them to disc as mkv files you need a bluray drive on a PC somewhere on your network. Many people have a server station that houses a bluray drive and the archiving is done there. Then the small client PC at their television does not have an optical disc drive. Its all your preference - I do both 1) and 3). I have software to play my discs if I get a new one or want to dive into special bonus feautres, but for the most part I keep them saved as mkv files to launch without a disc present.

Quote:
As far as streaming from NetFlix, what is the best way to do this, hardware wise? Would I at least be able to get DD 5.1 audio on these streamed movies?

I haven't followed this as much as I'd like. Today *most* Netflix devices you buy can do 1080p and 5.1 Dolby. The Playstation 3 and Roku were the first ones. Apple TV can do 5.1 audio. Keep in mind not every movie on Netflix is available in multichannel sound at 1080p.

PCs in general are behind in terms of Netflix quality. The Windows 8 app has support for 1080p and 5.1, but viewing it through a web browser or via Windows Media Center does not.

Quote:
As far as sources, I am open to all options, HTPC or whatever. If I go that route. Do you think that the Asus ChromeBox with a BluRay drive would be best for someone on a budget? Like I said earlier, my goals are to have NetFlix streaming capability to 2-3 rooms, including my main theater room, and to be able to stream Lossless FLAC, WAV, and various mp3 downloads from my iTunes...to 2-3 rooms, I want the best possible sound quality for both movies and music. It would also be nice if I could use the EQ capabilities of JRiver, and control everything from my iPad and iPhone.

When I said sources I meant such as DVDs, OTA television, etc. But in terms of source devices Dolby is pretty well supported among media centric electronics. I don't know if a bluray drive will work in a Chromebox. I know there is no offical bluray software for Linux or any variant of it (like ChromeOS). If there is a driver for the drive you might be able to use a version of AnyDVD and an open source player, but thats up to you.

Where is your itunes? This could be a good place to put a bluray drive if you intend to save your disc collection to a pc or server.

I wish I could tell you more about exactly how Apple TV can work for you. The way it's been described to me is that you can use it headless (without a television) and connect directly to an audio system for a wifi based music player. The control is done from an iOS device and you Airplay your music from your iTunes server PC to the Apple TV.

As for low cost, an Intel NUC running Openelec is probably the best option. The NUC includes everything BUT a hard drive and memory. Memory is very easy to install, and if you are going to store your media elsewhere you don't even need a hard drive - it can be run right off a USB drive.

I think the one point I want to make to you is that in general PCs have great support for local video and music playback. You can set them up to play all different kinds of files. Dedicated electronics devices like Apple TV and Roku can't do that, but support online sources like Netflix much better.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #5 of 25 Old 07-23-2014, 03:44 AM
V_J

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning a compuer based multi room setup as well. My idea would revolve around the software EventGhost, and I have a thread on it here: http://www.eventghost.net/forum/view...php?f=2&t=6050

Basically, my idea is:
- PC, connected with different audio outputs (from different sound cards) to my receiver, let us say line out 1 -> Input 1 and line out 2 -> Input 2.
- Winamp would be used for music playback, as it can run multiple instances and EventGhost can distinguish between these instances.
- One winamp instance would always use audio out 1, the other audio out 2.
- Receiver has multiroom functionality (I think yours also has it), so input 2 is directed to the multiroom output.
- A webinterface (made for the Tornado plugin in EventGhost) allows control of the different winamps, and allows for the control of the receiver (via serial port, my receiver has this functionality).
- Remote control functionality can be done via EventGhost as well, so you are not limited to using the webinterface.

The interesting thing is that you can use HDMI for input 1, and line out for input 2, so you may not even need two soundcards (but if the pc puts the monitor in power saving,you lose the audio signal on the HDMI, so you need to prevent that). I also added MCE, also controlled from EventGhost, for playback of media files. If you would change the multiroom output to input 1, you even have synchronized music in both rooms.

Using wake on lan, I can wake up the PC, access the webinterface and switch on both the playback software and the receiver, and set the receiver inputs correctly.

I've run enough experiments to know it would work, but now I'm just trying to get a nice webinterface. Just lacking time to do it fast...
post #6 of 25 Old 07-23-2014, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So if I want to be able to watch BluRay disk, I would definitely need both a BluRay drive and software, or can the software play BluRay disk from any DVD drive? As far as converting the BluRays to MKV, I am not even sure what that is? Would it preserve the lossless audio codecs such as DDTrueHD and DTS-MA?

So for getting audio in my main setup, and also having audio for music available to my living room speakers and bedroom speakers, an Apple TV in each room is the best way to go? Would it be capable of playing high res downloads from HDTracks? If not, how would I get that?

Also, what is the best software to use for this? JRiver or XBMC? Lookalike having BluRay playback from a PC is not going to be easy. I was hoping that I could use JRiver and be able to figure out some way to get music to my living room, bedroom, and theater room via my iTunes and HDTracks downloads. How can this be accomplished?

What other capabilities does JRiver posses? How could I use it to EQ and possibly actively crossover my LCR's?
post #7 of 25 Old 07-23-2014, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You CAN save Netflix movies to the hard drive using Playon with Playlater (playon.tv).

I use it when I want to take Netflix on the road for tablet use in the car. It works great.
post #8 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So do you guys think that an Asus Chronebox running JRiver or XMBC would be best for my goals of having high res, lossless and lossy streamed digital music playback for 2-3 rooms, and also provide a way to use NetFlix to multiple rooms as well as playing back BluRay movies with their lossless audio codecs, amount other things like using JRiver to actively crossover and EQ my speakers? I would also like to have the possibility to have a coupe of security cameras that I could access on my iPhone and/or iPad.
post #9 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 931
With all your devices you'd enjoy mediabrowser. It's better media manager and organizer and will support your ipad and iphone well. You can still use xbmc if you wanted with it, or any of the mediabrowser players (mediabrowser theater supports MadVR) or external players.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
Hey guys, I need some help in picking out and implementing the hardware & software that will be necessary to meet my goals in having a computer based home theater/music setup. I am new to this, so please be gentle and bear with me
ok

Quote:
There are many ways to download movies, both legal and otherwise. You can download full quality as well.

Quote:
I think Netflix is only DD.

Quote:
No sweat. That's easy.

Quote:
There is a few plugins but Jriver is probably a solid solution. Alternate you could buy a miniDSP and connect it with a USB. A lot better and more powerful.

http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits

This would allow you crossover points, different slopes, adjusting phase of subs. It might be nice to put one channel on each sub itself so you can control them independent. Otherwise you only have 1 LFE adjustment. If you have a few subs it's nice to EQ or subsonic filter them individually. Plus.. I know you want to build another sub ported at 12hz for the ULF effect near field... admit it. You do right? So you can adjust the phase of the 12hz port to go with your 17hz or 20hz port tunes

[quote=Martycool007;25890738]

NO problem

Quote:
No problem

Quote:
You can set up a "server" or network so other devices and location can play back from either your media server or all in one media server + HTPC combo.

I stream music at my dad's house from my server all the time over wifi. Actually my cell phone is fast enough for high quality audio (just not full video too)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You can download BR's. You do not need a BR drive in your HTPC. I do not have one. I have dual BR drives in my desktop and I rip my movies on that and put them on my media server, then play them back with my HTPC or ROKU or ipad3.

Quote:
I don't like streaming much, but my wife does it constantly. Any HTPC should be able to stream, the requirements for doing so are not much. HDMI 1.4 would be about it.

Quote:
You want a dedicated HTPC machine, that is remote controlled, and appliance like (as much as you can make it). You don't want a weak laptop connected with an HDMI cable. The experiences are very different.

Quote:
Regarding the Apple TV in each room, that is definitely a possibility! Would I need a pre-amp or receiver? Or could I just go straight from the Ape TV to my amplifiers that will be powering the speakers in each room?
[/quote]

Apple TV sucks, and if you jailbreak it it's still weak (new ones can't jailbrake, old ones too weak). I'd go with a ROKU3 instead, about $65 each and very excellent. They interface with media players and HTPC's very well (MB3 or PLEX) and playback. Easy to use, good remote control.

-

post #12 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

What website do you buy bluray downloads from?

My HTPC front end set up
post #13 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So if I want to be able to watch BluRay disk, I would definitely need both a BluRay drive and software, or can the software play BluRay disk from any DVD drive? As far as converting the BluRays to MKV, I am not even sure what that is? Would it preserve the lossless audio codecs such as DDTrueHD and DTS-MA?
Yeah. It's easy. use MAKEMKV (free). Install and it just rip your BR disc to MKV format (best format IMO). It's full quality sound and picture. No difference from original BR disc. You can even choose to copy only certain audio tracks or subtitles (like only the 7.1 DTS-HD, or both that and the normal 5.1 DD track too) Ideally you don't want to convert them (although you can) just rip them and keep them in full quality. The conversion if necessary can be handled by your front end like MediaBrowser server so it plays on your ipad just fine. It happens automatically, you don't need to manually convert anything. Just rip it from the BR disc to your hardrive.

Quote:
So for getting audio in my main setup, and also having audio for music available to my living room speakers and bedroom speakers, an Apple TV in each room is the best way to go? Would it be capable of playing high res downloads from HDTracks? If not, how would I get that?
You already have apple TV? I use ROKU to playback my music from my server or PC or just use pandora or Spotify but yes you can do that. Loading your music into MB or plex is an easy way to steam it. Works even away from home with PLEX or MB apps on your ipad, iphone, or laptop.

Quote:
Also, what is the best software to use for this? JRiver or XBMC? Lookalike having BluRay playback from a PC is not going to be easy. I was hoping that I could use JRiver and be able to figure out some way to get music to my living room, bedroom, and theater room via my iTunes and HDTracks downloads. How can this be accomplished?
I like MB and PLEX best but Jriver is nice and has audiophile layout and design to it. XBMC is not my preference, but it can run from MB server if you prefer that interface instead of the MB interfaces or players.

Quote:
What other capabilities does JRiver posses? How could I use it to EQ and possibly actively crossover my LCR's?
Jriver has a lot of features. This is a long question. I'd suggest the miniDSP as an alternative. That way it works on sources other than just the HTPC

-

post #14 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What website do you buy bluray downloads from?
I don't want to get off track with a debate about piracy, so I hope answering this won't make that happen or this question is intended as "trolling". I'll try to answer quickly and in good faith hoping for best. The quick answer is you can download movies (not BR) from many places, like amazon, itunes, walmart, or it comes with the BR disc you buy as a download option. Usually a coupon code, or a sticker designates this with certain titles. Additionally of coarse everyone knows that illegal downloading of BR discs is also easily available on any torrent site or usenet provider, but further discussion of anything like that is not allowed on AVS.

-

post #15 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So do you guys think that an Asus Chronebox running JRiver or XMBC would be best for my goals of having high res, lossless and lossy streamed digital music playback for 2-3 rooms, and also provide a way to use NetFlix to multiple rooms as well as playing back BluRay movies with their lossless audio codecs, amount other things like using JRiver to actively crossover and EQ my speakers? I would also like to have the possibility to have a coupe of security cameras that I could access on my iPhone and/or iPad.
No. Asus Chrombox is not a good option. You want something running Windows that is appliance like, with HDMI1.4 and also 3D if you use that. You also want an SSD based OS installation, it really improves the experience.

Security cameras depends on what set up you use for that, but totally and easily possible.

-

post #16 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not the morality police and I'd like to think I'm not considered a troll, but you said twice he can download in "full quality" and "download BR's," which I think is a bit misleading.

My HTPC front end set up
post #17 of 25 Old 07-24-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm not the morality police and I'd like to think I'm not considered a troll, but you said twice he can download in "full quality" and "download BR's," which I think is a bit misleading.
I would not have answered if I did not know you Fair enough. You make a good point. I was typing fast and being very general. There is probably 15 different ways you can download movies or TV shows, both legal or otherwise.

-

post #18 of 25 Old 07-25-2014, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I appreciate the help and replies from you guys! I guess that I was not specific enough in my questions, so let me restate some of my main issues.

First off, I will have a wifi network, and I also have a windows-7 desktop that I will connect to a 2TB storage device for my music files.

How do I get lossless hires music that is stored on my 2TB drive to play in my 3 separate rooms? It has been my understanding that neither the Airport Express nor Roku-3 can support 24/196 or other lossless files. So how would I get those music files out to the speakers I'm these rooms?

Ok so after some research I see that Netflix sound quality is not that good and being that it can only support DD I won't need anything fancy for that. So as far as NetFlix is concerned, I just need a simple way to use it to watch movies in my Living Room and Theater room.

It would also be nice to have a software and hardware combination that could control lighting, and security cameras too, all from an iPad and iPhone. It would also be nice if I could negate the need for a receiver or pre/pro and have the capability to connect the HTPC directly to my power amp. I guess a good option would be a Oppo BDP-105 and use it to stream netflix to multiple rooms and music files as well, although I am unsure if it could get me the hires 24/196 in multiple rooms like I want. Another benefit of the Oppo would be that I could connect it directly to my power amps and ditch this old Yamaha RX-V663! Only problem is that I would have to save for a month or two in order to afford if!
post #19 of 25 Old 07-25-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well plex or mb will play flac or whatever but will transcode the audio to mp3 on ipad or iphone because that's all those play. ROKU the same I suspect.

Do you want to be able to play back in good quality ? Or perfect quality ? Playing back on other rooms is easy, but playing back 24bit 192k isn't. You'd need a device in each room that can read from your network your music and play it back native.

-

post #20 of 25 Old 07-28-2014, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Well plex or mb will play flac or whatever but will transcode the audio to mp3 on ipad or iphone because that's all those play. ROKU the same I suspect.

Do you want to be able to play back in good quality ? Or perfect quality ? Playing back on other rooms is easy, but playing back 24bit 192k isn't. You'd need a device in each room that can read from your network your music and play it back native.

I would like to play the music in the "perfect" or lossless format in the living room and theater room only. The other room won't matter.

So let me see if I got this correct, I need a device to connect to my wifi network, and use some sort of playback software, such as JRiver or XMBC to stream from my PC's external 2TB storage tank.

I want to be able to playback my iTunes files & my HDTracks files. How can this be done while maintaining the lossless files? I know that I could use an Airport Express but that won't allow me lossless hi res tracks. Any suggestions?
post #21 of 25 Old 07-28-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You need specifically:

Device in each location that you want to play losseless music from that can:

A.) Play back losslesss music
B.) Read from your LAN and music collection to play back.

It's really not a super hard thing. There's plenty of options for that. You don't need a mega HTPC to do that either. Even a cheap small NUC would work.

-

post #22 of 25 Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You need specifically:

Device in each location that you want to play losseless music from that can:

A.) Play back losslesss music
B.) Read from your LAN and music collection to play back.

It's really not a super hard thing. There's plenty of options for that. You don't need a mega HTPC to do that either. Even a cheap small NUC would work.
Would you care to explain what I need to make this work? What kind of device can take the signal from my local WiFi in the house and play back lossless music files, in addition to lossy music files? Hardware required would be....? Also, would JRiver be the optimum software to playback from the PC? How would I amplify the speakers in both the living room zone and the main theater?

Basically what I am asking is how do I make this setup work both hardware and software wise?
post #23 of 25 Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Buy a small Celeron NUC and install Jriver on it. yeah. That's it. Run HDMI out. Done.

If you wanted a more robust HTPC for general HTPC duties instead that works too. Any PC can do that I think, provided it has modern HDMI.

-

post #24 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Buy a small Celeron NUC and install Jriver on it. yeah. That's it. Run HDMI out. Done.

If you wanted a more robust HTPC for general HTPC duties instead that works too. Any PC can do that I think, provided it has modern HDMI.

I still don't fully understand how I could make this work?? I have two speakers in my living room and a full 5.4 theater room in addition to a two channel setup in my den. I am unsure how to get the music from my PC through my amplifiers and into the speakers, and what do I need to send the signal to my amplifiers? I have a really old Yamaha RX-V663 that powers my 5.4 theater. Would I need two additional receivers in each of these rooms then stream the music signal from my PC to the receivers?

I have read that JRiver is capable of acting like a multi-zone pre/pro, connecting any 5.1 or 7.1 sound card directly to the amplifiers. I like this idea and this may be the way I go, that way I can eliminate the need for multiple receivers. I just need to figure out what sound card and other hardware I would need to make this work? I have a Samsung laptop and a Windows-7 desk top. Need sound card, and a device to connect to it that would stream it over my wifi network into any of my speakers. Suggestions?
post #25 of 25 Old 07-29-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well any HDMI output should be able to send audio to your AVR so any PC with an iGPU or GPU that has a modern HDMI output should suffice.

You of coarse need a spare HDMI input on your AVR too.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page