Flex Raid??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ajhieb
  • 1 Post By rc05

post #1 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Flex Raid???

Now that I have my system is up and running again. Can someome recommend which Flex raid option I should purchase. I have been using assassins guide to build my HTPC, but it seems as though his Flex Raid guide needs to be updated to match the flexraid website. Which one of the two new options would be best for a simple htpc user such as myself?

I am currently using Windows 7. I have one 2TB HDD with all my movies on it and 2 brand new HDD 2TB that are empty. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 1740
Snapshot works best on stagnant data that doesn't change (like media)

Real time works best on dynamic data that changes (like databases or ms word and excel docs where you might edit the doc but the file remains with same name).

Real time has a small performance hit up front on writes because parity is calculated and recorded real time as you write files. Snap shot does it later at a designated time (like middle of night) so it's not performance effected. With snap shot you'll get what your drives can do.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Snapshot works best on stagnant data that doesn't change (like media)

Real time works best on dynamic data that changes (like databases or ms word and excel docs where you might edit the doc but the file remains with same name).

Real time has a small performance hit up front on writes because parity is calculated and recorded real time as you write files. Snap shot does it later at a designated time (like middle of night) so it's not performance effected. With snap shot you'll get what your drives can do.
I'm a little confused..the Website advertise Raid F and transparent Raid. Which one is ideal for HTPCs with Windows 7 and not WHS. Thanks
post #4 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post
I'm a little confused..the Website advertise Raid F and transparent Raid. Which one is ideal for HTPCs with Windows 7 and not WHS. Thanks
The version of Windows makes little to no difference. What @Mfusick said is great description. You should base your decision on what type of data you have, not what operating system.

RAID-F (snapshot) raid is best suited for static data such as media collections. Static data being anything that you move to the pool and then don't modify it.

Transparent RAID (real time) is best suited for dynamic data like databases or frequently modified documents.

Most people on here using flexraid for their media servers use RAID-F
Mfusick likes this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post
Snapshot = RAID F
Realtime = RAID T

Raid F is the traditional "flexraid"
Raid T is the newer "transparent" raid that works real time. The original flexraid had modes for both real time and snapshot but most did not use the real time because it did not work so great. The developer re-developed that as a new product. (raid t)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Now I am confused. I thought FlexT was the traditional version, with real-time and snapshot modes, and Flex F ("file") was the new one. Will have to go and read again, have been planning for a while to try it (in the meantime, two 2TB WD Greens failed...)
post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 69
You have it reversed, FlexRAID tRAID is only real time, while FlexRAID RAID-F is the old one with snapshot (and real-time, but I think it's recommended to use tRAID until RAID-F real-time is redone)
Mfusick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page