Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 138
LCD Output from TV interferes with HP IR dongle

I recently installed an Intel NUC in the master bedroom for the wife to use. I'm using a HP Media Center remote along with the HP IR dongle. When the TV is on, the red LED on the IR receiver is on constantly, indicating that it's receiving a signal. As soon as I turn off the TV, the LED goes out. I discovered that if I orient the IR receiver at a 90-degree angle to the face of the TV, the LED goes out. I can still use the remote by pointing it at the adjacent wall so that the signal bounces and the IR receiver can see the reflection. The interference is preventing the remote from controlling the TV and the wife is unable to change channels unless she is persistent. The TV is mounted on the wall and the NUC sits on a dresser about 12" below the TV. The IR dongle was sitting on top of the NUC, but I have since moved it to the end of the dresser. The TV is a 32" TCL model.

I'm curious if anyone else has ever run into this problem and maybe tried a different IR dongle. I've actually tried two different HP dongles with the same results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
On my main TV with the Media Center PC I notice that mostly when I turn the TV on, it goes away when the TV "warms up". However, like ajhieb mentions, it doesn't cause an issue for me. My bedroom TV causes major interference with my Xbox Slim's IR. It didn't seem to be an issue with my older white Xbox but with the Slim I had to set it vertically and off to the side of the TV to lesson the interference. Annoying.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page