Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH and HyperV Windows 7 Host Machine - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-20-2014, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH and HyperV Windows 7 Host Machine

Hello,
I currently am running a Windows Server 2012 with a Hyper V server Role which is hosting a Windows 7 Machine. I already used the bypasser to get around the DCA tool. I then went to the tap where it says setup live tv and made it all the way through and activated it through my cable provider. The Ceton Diagnostics Tool has a green check next to everything but when I go on my Ceton Media Center extender it says there is no tv signal for that channel.

Can anyone help me work through this?

Thanks,
Alec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

I am now being directed to get a new cable card. I just think that its not that and its a software problem.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sometimes when using virtual machines, the network isn't really the "local" network which is a requirement... Also WMC is very picky on timings of things and going through a virtual interface sometimes messes up this timing... my suggestion usually is to make sure the virtual machine has a dedicated nic for it.

Occasionally with the bypass tool playready isn't updated properly

If you can install WMC locally/natively on something that can pass the DCA, and get that working, that can eliminate that it is a problem with the cablecard.

Who is your provider?
Do they use SDV?
Are the channels in question protected?
Who is directing you to get a new card?

Generally the green checks are fine but I'd have to see some log information and cablecard information to make certain (I've seen a lot of false negatives on that set up screen but never a false positive)

I am currently at a location of mine that doesn't have an echo but are you sure it is "paired" properly with that host.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post
Sometimes when using virtual machines, the network isn't really the "local" network which is a requirement... Also WMC is very picky on timings of things and going through a virtual interface sometimes messes up this timing... my suggestion usually is to make sure the virtual machine has a dedicated nic for it.

Occasionally with the bypass tool playready isn't updated properly

If you can install WMC locally/natively on something that can pass the DCA, and get that working, that can eliminate that it is a problem with the cablecard.

Who is your provider?
Do they use SDV?
Are the channels in question protected?
Who is directing you to get a new card?

Generally the green checks are fine but I'd have to see some log information and cablecard information to make certain (I've seen a lot of false negatives on that set up screen but never a false positive)

I am currently at a location of mine that doesn't have an echo but are you sure it is "paired" properly with that host.
Hello,

What do you mean by the bypass tool playready isn't updated when I use the tool now it says I have already configured it.

My Provider is Metro Cast
I don't know if they use SDV
Yes they are all copy once protected.
I got a new card and it shows basic cable now.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Now it is jut stuttering, but I have a replacement for mob coming. (one nic dead)
Could using the virtual nic cause this.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I'm not sure how good the virtual NICs are in Hyper-V, but using virtual NICs in ESXi with network tuners seems to cause issues, such as stuttering.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-21-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I don't always see the message to update playready but sometimes it asks you to and when using the bypass tool they skip the update (in some cases its the UAC and is why most would recommend running setup in a window.

There are configurations that work with sharing the nic... with virtual pc I never had trouble but with vmware and hyper-V there are many more choices available and some of them work better than others (Its been awhile for me as lately I'll have to look up the settings that worked for me) but in some cases the virtual bridge is a little too slow for WMC (slow as in latency, not bps... which can also depend on speed of tuning a channel before WMC times out)

Your current stuttering problem could be nic related (I know some who swear they require good intel nics and to not use realtek on the motherboard) but often I find stuttering and pixilating I need a fan on the tuners (my closets ambient temp is well over 80 but any airflow through the tuner helps tremendously) I've also seen the problem if the traffic goes through a router when the router plays traffic cop on the local traffic and it is best to use a switch off the router... occasionally managed switches also need some adjustments.

Are you now receiving all channels you are subscribed to?
Is your only problem the stuttering now?
Since all are protected, I assume you are seeing this stuttering on the echo (which makes diagnosing the problem that much harder as it might be the echo).

I've also seen drive performance affect live tv often especially if other things are recording. What drive are you set to record to in your virtual machine? Too often I see people try and use an iSCSI target which is allowed (shares are not) and the increased network traffic between tuner, machine, NAS, and extender can also cause some problems. I use to say that no one knows how bad their network really is until they try and run WMC with a network tuner and serve extenders at the same time... luckily the past few years have brought fairly decent cheap gigabit switches that don't have as many problems as they did a few years ago.

What is the physical host machine like and what resources have you given the VM? Though current generation processors are better, a good rule of thumb is needing 1 core + 1GB RAM per extender in addition to the host's needs (and in your case the host is the VM for this statement so you also have the overhead of the server).

As a test. I would record some shows and see how those recordings behave on the extender when the tuner isn't also competing for bandwidth.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-28-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecwilcox View Post
Now it is jut stuttering, but I have a replacement for mob coming. (one nic dead)
Could using the virtual nic cause this.
I too have ran into the issue with the stuttering in the Hyper-V guest operating system when viewing Live TV with XBOX 360 as Extenders.

I made the following change just now in the Guest Windows 7 Hyper-V and so far I haven't noticed the stuttering or slight pixelation as before through XBOX 360 Extender:
1) Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
2) Right Click on Local Area Connection (Labeled: Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter) and select Properties
3) Click on Configure
4) Click on Advanced tab
5) Select Jumbo Packet
6) In the Value section select: 9014 Bytes

After the above changes the issues were resolved, the issue that I am now facing is when selecting a channel it would take a little longer to load (I estimate 10-15 seconds). I could live with this for now but will still be searching on how to resolve these issues entirely. So far it's been running for 2-3 hours and no issues.

The adapter I have is a PCI Intel Pro 1000GT created as an External Switch in Hyper-V. This adapter/Hyper-V switch is only being used by the Windows 7 Guest hosting MCE. I don't know if the type of NIC card matters but posting as reference.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-29-2014, 09:04 PM

After looking into some of the different properties of the Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter Properties, I think the main culprit for the stutter issues is this one:

Large Send Offload Version 2 (IPv4) = Set to Disabled

After setting the above option to Disabled, I then Disabled Jumbo Packet from my previous post. Even though it solved the stuttering issues/pixelation, the XBOX 360's NIC doesn't support it. Which could explain why it took a while to load a channel.

I haven't experienced any stuttering/lag issues as well as the slowness in the channels loading. It's roughly 1-2 seconds changing between channels, similar timings as if I had the PCI-e version of the Ceton Infinitv 4 setup.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-18-2014, 11:44 AM

Just checking on the status

Alec, I to am trying to accomplish the same thing as you are, and I would like to know if you have your working correctly at this time?
I really want to run Windows Server as the primary operating system, and have a virtual PC running Windows 7, which would have my Ceton infiniTV6 turner card running. I have already purchased Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials about a year ago, not knowing that it would not support virtual PC's unless you purchase 3rd party software.
So I downloaded Windows Server 2012 R2 for the 180 day free trial just to see if I could get it to work, and that is were I am at right now.
Just wondering if you also went that route and have it working? Any tips would be great, as I am very new to the networking - and Windows Server in general. It seems they do gear to users that know what they are doing, then to users that are trying to learn something new.
Thanks again,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
cable card , cenon , hyperv , windows 7 , windows media center