• 2 Post By spectrumbx

post #1 of 29 Old 07-22-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Help Installing Flex Raid now!!

I just added to more 2TB HDD to my cpu. I am in the middle of installing flex raid F. I just want to make sure that my 3rd 2TB HDD that has all of my media content needs to be set up as a DRU1(data). I already have HDD as Data and the other as PPU. Do I need to do anything else before I initialize raid. I do not want to lose all the data that I have collected over the years.

BTW I am following Assassins guide and I got a little confused with the who recycle bin aspect of the install. Under properties I changed everything to a don't move, but their was more step in his explanation after that that threw me for a loop.

Thanks for the quick response
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
yes. DRU is data, and the drive won't be erased. PRU is parity and that is wiped clean. You can add a data drive with data on it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 29 Old 07-22-2014, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
yes. DRU is data, and the drive won't be erased. PRU is parity and that is wiped clean. You can add a data drive with data on it.
Ok got it. I noticed that Assassin has not posted for over a month. I hope he is well. For those who have used his guide, I do have a question. My Flexraid Drive is complete. However, I am having issues with the recycle Bin. Firstly, In his guide, he mentioned that I have first disable the individual drives recycling bin and then enable FlexRaid's. I did the first part, my question is what exactly am I doing and why am I doing this. Secondly, under properties in my recycling bin, I was unable to enable the Flex Raid recycling bin because my new V drive was not showing up as an option.

Lastly, I went into WMC and I tried to change the setting so that WMC can now record to the new V drive, how the V drive was not showing their either. Can someone please help me.

Thanks

Last edited by stamina1914; 07-22-2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: more info.
post #4 of 29 Old 07-23-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Did you restart and make sure your new pool is up and running ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 29 Old 07-23-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post
Lastly, I went into WMC and I tried to change the setting so that WMC can now record to the new V drive,
If I'm not mistaken, it is ill-advised to have your WMC Recorded TV on a snapshot volume.
Mfusick and Dark_Slayer like this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #6 of 29 Old 07-23-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it is ill-advised to have your WMC Recorded TV on a snapshot volume.
Use scratch disk.

-

post #7 of 29 Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did you restart and make sure your new pool is up and running ?
Well I did restart the PC and under my library, my V drive showing that all three of my HDD are working as one is there. Does this have anything to do with the Recycling bin question?

One more thing, according to Flexraid, I am missing a D drive? Everything else is healthy. Then again my D drive is my Blu ray so that should not matter should it?
post #8 of 29 Old 07-23-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
What is this? I will take that into consideration, but at this time I can get WMC to even see the new V drive. All of my movies that I ripped on would show on media browser are not playing I guess I need to go back to media browser and reconfigure it.

Last edited by stamina1914; 07-23-2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: cahnges
post #9 of 29 Old 07-23-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Use scratch disk.
What is scratch disk and how do I use it?
post #10 of 29 Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What is scratch disk and how do I use it?
It's a temp disk or another disk you use to record or work on, then move stuff over to the pool once it's ready. Recording directly to the pool is bad idea with snapshot raid.

I'd grab a cheap SSD or speed HDD to use for WMC recording. Then just move from that to the pool the stuff you want to keep.

-

post #11 of 29 Old 07-23-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What is this? I will take that into consideration, but at this time I can get WMC to even see the new V drive. All of my movies that I ripped on would show on media browser are not playing I guess I need to go back to media browser and reconfigure it.
Flexraid RAID-F is designed to work with static data. RAID-F doesn't work well with dynamic data (which your recorded TV and Live TV buffer very much are)

You'll want to have your recordings and Live TV buffer on a drive outside of your flexraid pool. It doesn't need to be particularly fast for recorded TV unless you plan on recording and or viewing a dozen shows at once. Most people with any common sense would suggest a large cheap HDD for this purpose. Any vaguely modern HDD (even the 5400rpm varieties) can handle recorded TV duties without breaking a sweat. The biggest concerns are usually price and size. Using an SSD for this purpose would be a complete waste by any measure I can think of.

As far as your issues with media browser, it sounds like you need to get everything ironed out with your flexraid pool, then make sure your libraries in media browser are pointing to the correct locations.
Mfusick likes this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #12 of 29 Old 07-23-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Well I did restart the PC and under my library, my V drive showing that all three of my HDD are working as one is there. Does this have anything to do with the Recycling bin question?

One more thing, according to Flexraid, I am missing a D drive? Everything else is healthy. Then again my D drive is my Blu ray so that should not matter should it?
Windows has an option to hide the drive when there is no media inserted. If your Blu-ray drive is empty then you would not see D: until you insert a disk.
Mfusick likes this.

post #13 of 29 Old 07-23-2014, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Flexraid RAID-F is designed to work with static data. RAID-F doesn't work well with dynamic data (which your recorded TV and Live TV buffer very much are)

You'll want to have your recordings and Live TV buffer on a drive outside of your flexraid pool. It doesn't need to be particularly fast for recorded TV unless you plan on recording and or viewing a dozen shows at once. Most people with any common sense would suggest a large cheap HDD for this purpose. Any vaguely modern HDD (even the 5400rpm varieties) can handle recorded TV duties without breaking a sweat. The biggest concerns are usually price and size. Using an SSD for this purpose would be a complete waste by any measure I can think of.

As far as your issues with media browser, it sounds like you need to get everything ironed out with your flexraid pool, then make sure your libraries in media browser are pointing to the correct locations.
Wow so now I have to buy a 4th hdd just to record movies now... oh well. Can I at least rip movies directly to the V Drive?
post #14 of 29 Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wow so now I have to buy a 4th hdd just to record movies now... oh well. Can I at least rip movies directly to the V Drive?
I don't think you necessarily have to get an additional drive, but it might take some creative partitioning.

I honestly have no idea how flexraid would cope with changing partitions after it's already been setup so I'll leave that one to the experts, but my understanding is that you can partition drives and include/exclude partitions in your array so that way you can leave space set aside for dynamic data.

If you were starting from scratch, I would just section of a 500GB (or whatever size you want for your recorded TV) chunk of whichever drive you want to use, and then setup everything else as you did before, leaving out the partition new partition.

If you're trying to eek out every last bit of performance from your system you might see some benefit to having your Recorded TV folder on a separate physical drive, but for the majority of what most people do with their HTPC you won't see much difference, if any at all.

As far as ripping movies to your array, from my understanding that shouldn't be a problem. There is another thread around here where someone was having problems with their metadata, ripping straight to their library in MediaBrowser (iirc) but that was only because of a bug introduced in an update, that had been identified and was supposed to be fixed in the next release, but that was an issue independent of flexraid, it could still effect you depending on your particular setup.

post #15 of 29 Old 07-24-2014, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
You don't particularly have to buy. If you can live with a small recording storage you could just have MCEbuddy dump your recordings into V everyday and simply use C for buffer and recording storage. You can then add that V storage location into your WMC recorded tv library, so the recordings there will show back up in WMC. It will just keep the buffer from your flexraid pool, which has been shown to cause problems in other people's setups

I rip movies directly to V all the time, and I've never had a single problem with it. I even rip mkv files into a folder on V from an iso stored in a separate folder on V
Mfusick likes this.
post #16 of 29 Old 07-24-2014, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
You don't particularly have to buy. If you can live with a small recording storage you could just have MCEbuddy dump your recordings into V everyday and simply use C for buffer and recording storage. You can then add that V storage location into your WMC recorded tv library, so the recordings there will show back up in WMC. It will just keep the buffer from your flexraid pool, which has been shown to cause problems in other people's setups

I rip movies directly to V all the time, and I've never had a single problem with it. I even rip mkv files into a folder on V from an iso stored in a separate folder on V
I have an old 250GB Laptop SSD drive that I no longer use. It's about 5 years old. I should be able to use this as my DVR HDD? I could use the mce option, but I have not been able to work out how to ensure MCE categories my recordings so I know what was recorded to today as opposed to 2 weeks ago.

Lastly, I removed the SSD from the labtop because the PC was so slow. I'm pretty sure that over the years it got some malware and other things that I do not want on my HTPC. What would be the best way to erase the drive completely and to ensure nothing that I do not want on the SSD infects my PC.

Thanks
post #17 of 29 Old 07-24-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yeah any drive not included in your pool.

Recording or buffering live TV will mess up what flexraid tries to do. Ripping is fine, because you don't do it constantly. But live TV should be on a seperate non FLEXRAID included hard drive. Any drive is fine.

-

post #18 of 29 Old 07-24-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

@Mfusick If you're talking "drive" as in "physical device" then I think it can be on a drive that is included in a Flexraid array. But it should be on a separate partition not included in the array.

If you mean "drive letter" when you're talking about drives I agree.

But my understanding was one of the big advantages of RAID-F is that it operates over the filesystem, not under it, which gives you more flexibility in terms of doing things like the above. (partitioning a physical drive and including some partitions and not others)

@stamina1914 As far as using an old 250GB SSD, I'd say it should work fine given that it is large enough to suit your needs for DVR purposes. It is possible that a drive of that vintage might end up suffering a premature demise if used heavily for recording purposes (modern drives have better resilience in such environments) Knowing the model number, we could probably tell you more info about it. But If you aren't worried about losing some DVR'ed content if the drive goes belly up (and you aren't using it for anything else anyway) I don't see any harm in using it for a DVR even if it is more likely that it dies. (and even that can be mitigated by moving DVR'ed shows you want to keep to your Flexraid pool after they have finished recording)

Spyware and other "funk" on it shouldn't be an issue. Delete the partition(s) on it, create a new partition, format it and you should be good to go.
Dark_Slayer likes this.

post #19 of 29 Old 07-24-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah I meant just don't include the place you record and buffer live TV in your flexraid array. Changing data (like a constant live steam recording or buffering) will throw an errors during validate process. We are on the same page.
ajhieb likes this.

-

post #20 of 29 Old 07-24-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
@stamina1914 As far as using an old 250GB SSD, I'd say it should work fine given that it is large enough to suit your needs for DVR purposes. It is possible that a drive of that vintage might end up suffering a premature demise if used heavily for recording purposes (modern drives have better resilience in such environments) Knowing the model number, we could probably tell you more info about it. But If you aren't worried about losing some DVR'ed content if the drive goes belly up (and you aren't using it for anything else anyway) I don't see any harm in using it for a DVR even if it is more likely that it dies. (and even that can be mitigated by moving DVR'ed shows you want to keep to your Flexraid pool after they have finished recording)

Spyware and other "funk" on it shouldn't be an issue. Delete the partition(s) on it, create a new partition, format it and you should be good to go.
+1 great advice

Knowing which model SSD can help clear up some questions

If you've never deleted partitions from a system drive before, I'd recommend burning the gparted-live iso to a CD or make a bootable usb http://gparted.org
post #21 of 29 Old 07-25-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
+1 great advice

Knowing which model SSD can help clear up some questions

If you've never deleted partitions from a system drive before, I'd recommend burning the gparted-live iso to a CD or make a bootable usb http://gparted.org
Apologies, its not an SSD it is a WD2500bevt Scorpio Blue HDD. It's the really small ones. To retrieve my data, since my Lap top was so slow, I bought a Sata to usb converter with a power adaptor. Since this drive is old and can go any time now, I am strongly considering hooking it up to the back of my HTPC vis USB and using it that way as opposed to opening my PC and then having open it up again to change again after a few months if it goes bad. Any thoughts on this? I would simple leave place it behind my speakers and my router. It would be out in the open, but out of sight at the same time.

Since this was the HDD of the lap top. I am pretty sure that the HDD contains has Windows 7. Since I own it, but I also own the copy of windows 7 that I purchased for my HTPC, is their any advantages of keeping it or do I just reformat and delete the hard drive clean? If I keep do keep do I rip it to a CD?

Thanks
post #22 of 29 Old 07-25-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Apologies, its not an SSD it is a WD2500bevt Scorpio Blue HDD. It's the really small ones. To retrieve my data, since my Lap top was so slow, I bought a Sata to usb converter with a power adaptor. Since this drive is old and can go any time now, I am strongly considering hooking it up to the back of my HTPC vis USB and using it that way as opposed to opening my PC and then having open it up again to change again after a few months if it goes bad. Any thoughts on this? I would simple leave place it behind my speakers and my router. It would be out in the open, but out of sight at the same time.

Since this was the HDD of the lap top. I am pretty sure that the HDD contains has Windows 7. Since I own it, but I also own the copy of windows 7 that I purchased for my HTPC, is their any advantages of keeping it or do I just reformat and delete the hard drive clean? If I keep do keep do I rip it to a CD?

Thanks
Connecting it via USB might work. Iirc, most sata -> USB connectors present the drive to windows as a removable device, and I don't believe WMC will let you set it to record on a removable device. You might be able to find an alternate driver that will present the device as a fixed disk instead of removable, or you might find a hack for WMC that will allow you to put it on a removable drive, but I'd say the odds of getting it working are iffy. (What I'm saying is, it may work, but don't count on it) Also, being connected via USB will also be a performance bottleneck. That shouldn't matter for recording a couple of shows at once, but if you plan on doing a lot of simultaneous recording and watching, you might run into problems with performance.

As far as the existing information on that drive, the only thing of value on their should be your data. The Windows install itself has no real value as the license is what actually makes it legit. Depending on what version of Windows it is, the license may be transferable to another PC, but even if it is, that doesn't require that keeping the old install around (the opposite actually) So as long as you have your data off of it, you should be good to format it. That can be done in windows through Disk Manager or as @Dark_Slayer pointed out above a gparted boot disk.

post #23 of 29 Old 07-26-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Connecting it via USB might work. Iirc, most sata -> USB connectors present the drive to windows as a removable device, and I don't believe WMC will let you set it to record on a removable device. You might be able to find an alternate driver that will present the device as a fixed disk instead of removable, or you might find a hack for WMC that will allow you to put it on a removable drive, but I'd say the odds of getting it working are iffy. (What I'm saying is, it may work, but don't count on it) Also, being connected via USB will also be a performance bottleneck. That shouldn't matter for recording a couple of shows at once, but if you plan on doing a lot of simultaneous recording and watching, you might run into problems with performance.

As far as the existing information on that drive, the only thing of value on their should be your data. The Windows install itself has no real value as the license is what actually makes it legit. Depending on what version of Windows it is, the license may be transferable to another PC, but even if it is, that doesn't require that keeping the old install around (the opposite actually) So as long as you have your data off of it, you should be good to format it. That can be done in windows through Disk Manager or as @Dark_Slayer pointed out above a gparted boot disk.
Ok Thanks. I already have the data. So I'll open up the HTPC and add to it. Thanks for the help everyone.
post #24 of 29 Old 07-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Ok Thanks. I already have the data. So I'll open up the HTPC and add to it. Thanks for the help everyone.
@stamina1914

ajhieb is actually correct. You don't need an additional disk.
The staging data can be part of the pool as a folder that is excluded for Snapshot purposes.
So, imagine that you have 4 disks (1-4); simply create a folder on the 4th disk called "staging" or whatever you wish. Then, exclude that folder from the Snapshot RAID.
Later you can move data from the staging folder to another folder in the pool for it to be included in the Snapshot RAID.

The recommendation is to create the staging folder on the last disk in your array because of how the storage pool fill up the disks by default.
Mfusick and ilovejedd like this.
post #25 of 29 Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There you go

-

post #26 of 29 Old 08-12-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So the 2.5 HDD didn't long, so I purchased a 3TB from Micro Center yesterday and installed in my HTPC. I am currently using it as my DVR until I had time to post here to get some of your feedback.

So as of now, my HTPC consists of 3 2TB HDD and 1 3TB HDD. The 3 2TB HDD are a part of my flex raid while the 3TB has not been added to the raid currently I am DVR movies on it. What I need to do now is to add the 3TB to my flex raid and then partition 1TB of the 9TBs that I have available to me to act as my DVR for WMC. What's the best way for me to go about doing this? Thanks
post #27 of 29 Old 08-12-2014, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
So the 2.5 HDD didn't long, so I purchased a 3TB from Micro Center yesterday and installed in my HTPC. I am currently using it as my DVR until I had time to post here to get some of your feedback.

So as of now, my HTPC consists of 3 2TB HDD and 1 3TB HDD. The 3 2TB HDD are a part of my flex raid while the 3TB has not been added to the raid currently I am DVR movies on it. What I need to do now is to add the 3TB to my flex raid and then partition 1TB of the 9TBs that I have available to me to act as my DVR for WMC. What's the best way for me to go about doing this? Thanks
Since the validation/parity gens are scheduled, is it possible to automatically move the staged data over just before (syncronously) the "bit picking" begins?
post #28 of 29 Old 08-13-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfineman View Post
Since the validation/parity gens are scheduled, is it possible to automatically move the staged data over just before (syncronously) the "bit picking" begins?
Thanks for the feedback, but unfortunately I have no idea what you typed means!
post #29 of 29 Old 08-13-2014, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, but unfortunately I have no idea what you typed means!
Heh sorry... let me try again. My understanding is the "parity generation and validation" is a scheduled job. If the recommended practice is to stage the recording on a scratch drive then I'm wondering if one could modify that scheduled job to copy over any staged data prior to running the "generation and validation" process.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page