Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
MPC-HC tweaks for FF/RW?

Hi. Would anyone using MPC-HC for MadVR like to share how they have set up their FF/RW and chapter forward and back controls on their remote? My HTPC previous was running openelec and while I appreciate the benefits of MadVR for upscaling my DVD content especially one thing I've not been able to get used to yet is the inability to FF/RW or chapter forward and back like I could w/XBMC's native player. (I still run XBMC btw and have it launch MPC-HC as the player).

Currently I have the "tweaks" option in MPC-HC set to jump forward or back 1 minute with a single press of either of the FF or RW buttons or 10 min with a single press of the chapter forward or back buttons. Which works except if you hit the button too quickly 2-3 times in a row the player will freeze and I have to get out the keyboard to bring up task manager to escape then reopen XBMC and start the movie all over again to re-find my place (being careful not to be too fast on the controls and have it freeze up all over again). Definitely not good for the WAF.

If there's not a better solution for, say, forwarding past the Gollum scenes in LOTR more reliably then would it be better to go back to XBMC's native player for my bluray rips and limit my use of MPC-HC and MadVR to upscaling my 480 and 720 content only? Now that I finally have an HTPC w/dedicated graphics (750 ti) I'd really prefer to take advantage of MadVR across the board even if for bluray rips there really shouldn't be much if any noticeable difference. Just need to figure out how to get back some usability on FF/RW and stop it from freezing up all the time. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not sure what remote your are using as you did not specified it on your post. I am currently using XBMC on a Lenovo laptop, until I am able to afford to build a dedicated HTPC, not using using MadVR as I am having issues with frame drops on some titles and using Yatse on my tab as my remote. There is a option in Yatse to use a mouse style touch pad and I just flick left or right for FF/RW and it works great with MPC-HC. Just my input.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adinis View Post
Not sure what remote your are using as you did not specified it on your post. I am currently using XBMC on a Lenovo laptop, until I am able to afford to build a dedicated HTPC, not using using MadVR as I am having issues with frame drops on some titles and using Yatse on my tab as my remote. There is a option in Yatse to use a mouse style touch pad and I just flick left or right for FF/RW and it works great with MPC-HC. Just my input.
My remote is a Harmony 650 and I really don't want to use anything else. We like the simplicity of 1 universal remote to control all our components and I especially don't to be using my phone as a remote control.

Guess I'll just keep trying to tweak the settings in MPC-HC and if the freeze ups continue I'll just have to go back to XBMC's native player for bluray. Thanks anyway though.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
My remote is a Harmony 650 and I really don't want to use anything else. We like the simplicity of 1 universal remote to control all our components and I especially don't to be using my phone as a remote control.

Guess I'll just keep trying to tweak the settings in MPC-HC and if the freeze ups continue I'll just have to go back to XBMC's native player for bluray. Thanks anyway though.
Just did a quick search and came across this http://www.avforums.com/threads/conf...lassic.912086/ I think this is what you may be looking for, not sure if you have tried it. Also you may try your luck over at the xbmc forum and see if any comes up. Please let me know if it works out for you as I too will like to one day use my Harmony 650 to control my future HTC.

Last edited by adinis; 07-24-2014 at 10:48 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-25-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the link adinis but I already have MPC-HC configured to work w/the Harmony pretty much as it describes. The problem is the limitation of the player itself. At least if you're using it w/MadVR (which is the only reason I switched from XBMC's native player) there in no chapter forwarding or back, and no real FF/RW either; there is only configuring those buttons to jump forward or back a certain amount of time. And that's already set. The problem is that hitting any of those buttons 2-3x in a row too quickly causes the player to freeze up.

As far as I can tell there's no fix for that. But the good news for you is unless you want to use MadVR/MPC-HC also, the harmony 650 works just great otherwise and especially w/XBMC's native player.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-25-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
Thanks for the link adinis but I already have MPC-HC configured to work w/the Harmony pretty much as it describes. The problem is the limitation of the player itself. At least if you're using it w/MadVR (which is the only reason I switched from XBMC's native player) there in no chapter forwarding or back, and no real FF/RW either; there is only configuring those buttons to jump forward or back a certain amount of time. And that's already set. The problem is that hitting any of those buttons 2-3x in a row too quickly causes the player to freeze up.

As far as I can tell there's no fix for that. But the good news for you is unless you want to use MadVR/MPC-HC also, the harmony 650 works just great otherwise and especially w/XBMC's native player.
I can't use the native player at all for any of my mkv files, can't really go into any details of the mkv files as its a violation of forum rules, let's just say I did not rip them, so I have to use mpc-hc, plus it looks a lot better. I was using mpc-hc with madvr but in some movies I have serious drop frames so I switched to a different renderer option within mpc-hc and those movies play better now. Hopefully once I'm able to build a dedicated htpc with a decent video card I can take full advantage of mpc-hc with madvr. Hope you find a solution and share it with the rest of us.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-31-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adinis View Post
I can't use the native player at all for any of my mkv files, can't really go into any details of the mkv files as its a violation of forum rules, let's just say I did not rip them, so I have to use mpc-hc, plus it looks a lot better. I was using mpc-hc with madvr but in some movies I have serious drop frames so I switched to a different renderer option within mpc-hc and those movies play better now. Hopefully once I'm able to build a dedicated htpc with a decent video card I can take full advantage of mpc-hc with madvr. Hope you find a solution and share it with the rest of us.
What renderer are you using ? I've just started playing with MPC-HC + MadVR and I'm far less than impressed... MPC freezes, jump fwd/back is crap, and more.

thx for the input.

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
post #8 of 8 Old 08-31-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I thought mpchc had chapter skips, but I've really not used it in quite some time.

You probably already know this, but if you take all the prepended rules out of your advanced settings XML you still have the option to launch external players in the context menu
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page