AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater Computers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/)
-   -   Sound "pop" when HTPC goes to sleep or restarts (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1614266-sound-pop-when-htpc-goes-sleep-restarts.html)

scottdw 07-23-2014 05:26 AM

Sound "pop" when HTPC goes to sleep or restarts

I have a music "jukebox" setup with an amp connected to my sound card and every time I restart or put the computer to sleep all of the speakers make a pop sound, same thing happens when it boots back up or resumes from sleep....makes if fun when every speaker in the house pops at night :)
As a temporary fix for this I added an OLD X10 appliance module so I could basically switch off the outlet the amp is connected to when the computer sleeps and switch it back on once the computer is back up. I have been running this way for a few years on my HTPC that was running XP. I recently upgraded to win7 with a different jukebox program and program that came with the X10 module no longer works. I found a program someone else wrote to control the X10 but I have issues with it every once in a while and want a more stable approach.

First, I am hoping there is a way I can just leave the amp on all the time without the "pop" happening.

Second, is there a cheapish computer controlled outlet I can get to replicate what I have now....the X10 is just old and I am not sure how long it would last anyway. I would need to be able to turn it on and off thru command line.

Thanks,
Scott

Barrettmr 07-23-2014 08:33 AM

I have one of those 'green' multi socket filter things where you turn off a master piece of equipment and it shuts off the other 'green' sockets, and back on again when you switch on the master. I used it with my AVR so when it goes to standby the power to my projector and DVD player turns off. I wonder if the PC going to sleep would trigger that function? Not sure I would like the idea of having the amp powered on 24/7, is that normal?

scottdw 07-23-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrettmr (Post 25976834)
I have one of those 'green' multi socket filter things where you turn off a master piece of equipment and it shuts off the other 'green' sockets, and back on again when you switch on the master. I used it with my AVR so when it goes to standby the power to my projector and DVD player turns off. I wonder if the PC going to sleep would trigger that function? Not sure I would like the idea of having the amp powered on 24/7, is that normal?

Thanks but I don't know if that will work because the popping happens as soon as the computer is put to sleep so it may not have enough time to switch the power off. I did notice that the popping happens on this particular sound card...not another I tested. I am using a Sound Blaster 0060 with the KX drivers so I can adjust each port individually. It could be my particular card or the KX drivers themselves.