Sound "pop" when HTPC goes to sleep or restarts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-23-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sound "pop" when HTPC goes to sleep or restarts

I have a music "jukebox" setup with an amp connected to my sound card and every time I restart or put the computer to sleep all of the speakers make a pop sound, same thing happens when it boots back up or resumes from sleep....makes if fun when every speaker in the house pops at night
As a temporary fix for this I added an OLD X10 appliance module so I could basically switch off the outlet the amp is connected to when the computer sleeps and switch it back on once the computer is back up. I have been running this way for a few years on my HTPC that was running XP. I recently upgraded to win7 with a different jukebox program and program that came with the X10 module no longer works. I found a program someone else wrote to control the X10 but I have issues with it every once in a while and want a more stable approach.

First, I am hoping there is a way I can just leave the amp on all the time without the "pop" happening.

Second, is there a cheapish computer controlled outlet I can get to replicate what I have now....the X10 is just old and I am not sure how long it would last anyway. I would need to be able to turn it on and off thru command line.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-23-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have one of those 'green' multi socket filter things where you turn off a master piece of equipment and it shuts off the other 'green' sockets, and back on again when you switch on the master. I used it with my AVR so when it goes to standby the power to my projector and DVD player turns off. I wonder if the PC going to sleep would trigger that function? Not sure I would like the idea of having the amp powered on 24/7, is that normal?
post #3 of 3 Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
I have one of those 'green' multi socket filter things where you turn off a master piece of equipment and it shuts off the other 'green' sockets, and back on again when you switch on the master. I used it with my AVR so when it goes to standby the power to my projector and DVD player turns off. I wonder if the PC going to sleep would trigger that function? Not sure I would like the idea of having the amp powered on 24/7, is that normal?
Thanks but I don't know if that will work because the popping happens as soon as the computer is put to sleep so it may not have enough time to switch the power off. I did notice that the popping happens on this particular sound card...not another I tested. I am using a Sound Blaster 0060 with the KX drivers so I can adjust each port individually. It could be my particular card or the KX drivers themselves.

Scott
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page