7Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
W7 PC that refuses to sleep

This PC is mainly used to record TV shows.
PC that refuses to sleep like when the scheduled recording is completed usallely (normalley) about three minutes later the PC sleeps.

I recently upgraded my PC case, after the case upgrade PC refuses to sleep will only sleep if I force it to sleep

Start

Cursor right
Cursor right
Enter

Here are the power settings in the BIOS.
ACPI Suspend mode S3 STR
Deep power off mode enabled
Power on by RTC alarm disabled
Power on by PCI devices disabled
Power on by PCIe devices disabled
Wake up by PS/2 KB/mouse enabled
Restore On AC Power loss Last state

All control panel
Power options
Power settings

Power settings put the computer to sleep in 10 minutes

Turn display off is set to never
PC will not sleep
The only change to PC, is the orginale cases front four USB ports have been physicalley removed from MOBO

I have’nt relocated these ports into the new case yet. I usalley have my wireless optical mouse connected to one of these USB ports

I currently have the mouse connected to the real USB port which are two additionale ports connected w/ a wire to MOBO USB header just like the four USBs that are currently unplugged.

do these unplugged ports need to be logicalley removed untill I reinstall the ports?

Maybe I should try to plug the wireless mouse into a USB port that is part of the printed circuit broad (MOBO)?

The DOS powercfg-lastwake command revels the tuner to wake PC.

Which is normal for tuner to turn on a sleeping PC for a scheduled recording problem is it never sleeps after the recording has completed.

The DOS powercfg-requests revels
DISPLAY
None.

edit I should mention another physicale change was to remove the exhaust fan that was connected to the MOBO header and connect new exhaust fan to molex PSU also connected two intake fans also w/ molex PSU.
the MOBO fan header has nothing connected to it.

Edit I’ve also checked power settings advanced
Control panel
Power options
Change when computer sleeps
Advanced
Multimedia settings
Double click when sharing media= setting allow the computer to sleep PC still won’t sleep.

edit again the orginale case did'nt have a reset button however I plugged in the new case's front panel wires for reset into the Intel H57 MOBO maybe this is causing the PC to not sleep?

Please Any suggestions on resolving the sleep issuse.

Thanks STB
bryansj likes this.

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 179
There are some tips in another thread that may help with your problem. http://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?t=1606554

post #3 of 34 Old 07-23-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I imagine the last time you posted this someone mentioned try unplugging the network cable and see if it sleeps... if it does obviously you need to configure the NIC under devices.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #4 of 34 Old 07-23-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 352
MST solves the not sleeping after recording issue.
ClearToLand likes this.
post #5 of 34 Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I imagine the last time you posted this someone mentioned try unplugging the network cable and see if it sleeps... if it does obviously you need to configure the NIC under devices.
I asked what a NIC was in the other thread no response.

is a NIC a network adaptor? if yes I don't have a network adaptor or I used to have a PCIe WIFI card that had a small antenna on back of PC it did'nt work well inside my TV cabinet so I logicalley removed it then physically removed it three years ago.

I have a silicon dust tuner connected to the ethernet cat5 connection on back of PC.
and for internet I have a USB network adaptor.

edit actualley I may have a network adaptor
in device manager
network adapters double click
realtek PCIe GBE family controller double click
power management
I unchecked allow this device to wake PC

I have logicalley and physicalley removed this WIFI card three years ago anyway it's now unchecked will report back if it was the solution.

edit again also in NIC under advanced tab I do see wake on magic packets (well I must admit when I initialley read about this I thought it was a joke however it's actualley real computer termanogoly)
anyway it's set to enable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
There are some tips in another thread that may help with your problem. http://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?t=1606554
this link is non functioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
MST solves the not sleeping after recording issue.
what is MST a 3rd party SW? this could be the solution? even though I've never needed 3rd party SW in the past.
I see this http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml
however it's designed for XP OS and lower. I'm using W7.

edit I am in the habit of closing W7MC before a scheduled TV recording however there have been occasions where I left W7MC on and even w/ it on PC would always sleep after recordings.

edit again I before I put PC to sleep (at desk top) I turn off the optical mouse it has a switch on the bottom then place it in it's own little cubby hole so it won't get bumped and the key broad (is rarely even used) also has a on/ off switch it's usalley turned off also.

edit again remember the automatic updates are turned off allthough when I had then turned on PC would wake from sleep at 6:00am do it's search for updates then go back to sleep in 15 or so mintues.

http://www.sevenforums.com/media-cen...cording-2.html

hopefully I won't need 3rd party SW

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700

Last edited by stevethebrain; 07-24-2014 at 03:47 AM.
post #6 of 34 Old 07-24-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Anytime you use cat5 network connection, you have a network adapter or NIC, either an add-on card or ,in most cases, built-in on motherboard.

A network CableCard tuner like SD's HDHR Prime or Ceton ETH will need to send out broadcast packets on the network periodically. If your NIC is not configured properly to ignore those packets, it will wake your PC constantly.
post #7 of 34 Old 07-24-2014, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Anytime you use cat5 network connection, you have a network adapter or NIC, either an add-on card or ,in most cases, built-in on motherboard.

A network CableCard tuner like SD's HDHR Prime or Ceton ETH will need to send out broadcast packets on the network periodically. If your NIC is not configured properly to ignore those packets, it will wake your PC constantly.
I never had to configure any setting when installing my SD home rune dual tuner and have never had any sleep isuse.

Hopefully I now have all my power, NIC sleep related setting configured correctly.

Will know later today.

STB

post #8 of 34 Old 07-24-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Your SD HR Dual is not a CableCard tuner. So it works quite differently than the CableCard version, HDHR Prime.
post #9 of 34 Old 07-24-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 834
If you hold the power button down constantly for 32 hours it will fix your issue; but you can't tape it or hold it down with an object it has to be your actual finger pressing the button the entire time.
bryansj likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 34 Old 07-24-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
If you hold the power button down constantly for 32 hours it will fix your issue; but you can't tape it or hold it down with an object it has to be your actual finger pressing the button the entire time.
I thought it was 24 hours, but you might be right since it didn't work for me.

post #11 of 34 Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
I tried that the first time. It did not work for me either. I wasted and entire day's pay calling into work too. But then I found a thread on an internet forum that explained the problem, and sure enough 32 hours worked !

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #12 of 34 Old 07-24-2014, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
you where stupid enought to hold the buttom for 24 hours you must be some kind of Moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I tried that the first time. It did not work for me either. I wasted and entire day's pay calling into work too. But then I found a thread on an internet forum that explained the problem, and sure enough 32 hours worked !
and you where stupid enought to hold the buttom for 32 hours you must be a bigger Moron than byron both you guys are looking like a$$holes
Mfusick, jdcrox and bryansj like this.

Last edited by stevethebrain; 07-24-2014 at 05:30 PM.
post #13 of 34 Old 07-24-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

the good news is the PC will stay asleep after I put it to sleep.

the bad news is it still refuses to sleep after completeing a schduled recording.

post #14 of 34 Old 07-25-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have mouse setup to wake up PC, it will never let your PC go into sleep from my experience. I always disable mouse wake and use keyboard to wake up the PC. But if you have something like Logitech Wireless mouse and keyboard that all connect to the same wireless adapter, you will have to disable wake up for both.
post #15 of 34 Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Never had a problem w/ the mouse after I started to turn it’s on/off switch to off.

I’ve been reading a little on this sleep issue apparently the computer to sleep should be set to sleep at 15 minutes and the HDD should turn off before the PC sleeps so I set it to 14 minutes and display should turn off before sleep so I set it to13 minutes.

Update on what I’ve attemped additionale to previoussetting.

My computer
Control panel
Power options
Change when computer sleeps
Change advanced power settings to above times.

Sleep 15 minutes

HDD 14 minutes

Display 13 minutes

Save

Still PC will not sleep after scheduled TV recording

Heres ( SS attached) the result of the DOS command powercfg-REQUESTS which is susposed to revelve what preventing the PC to sleep.

DISPLAY
None

SYSTEM:

(DRIVER) \FileSystem\srvnet

An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

AWAYMODE:

None

here's my next plan

In Power Options / MultimediaSettings, set it to "prevent idling to sleep"
update my latest plan did'nt work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sspowerREQUESTS.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	179546  

Last edited by stevethebrain; 07-25-2014 at 08:47 AM.
post #16 of 34 Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
But if you have something like Logitech Wireless mouse and keyboard that all connect to the same wireless adapter, you will have to disable wake up for both.
I use a Logitech K400r and Windows 7 hibernates like a champ and wakes up via the keyboard...

| 
|
|
|
post #17 of 34 Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I use a Logitech K400r and Windows 7 hibernates like a champ and wakes up via the keyboard...
Yeah, I don't see a wireless mouse in that setup. Touch pad won't be an issue.
post #18 of 34 Old 07-25-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll say it one more time. MST fixes the sleep after recording issue. It's free. It works. It also does a lot of other nice things. There is no other way that I know of.
post #19 of 34 Old 07-25-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
There is no other way that I know of.
Over the last two years I have used roughly a dozen WMC PCs and everyone of them has hibernated (fine) without it. Only issue I have had (after a tweak or two) is how easy it was to wake up from deep hibernation. Based on the various BIOS. The current guy I can wake with my harmony remote.

| 
|
|
|

Last edited by Charles R; 07-25-2014 at 05:42 PM.
post #20 of 34 Old 07-25-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Over the last two years I have used roughly a dozen WMC PCs and everyone of them has hibernated (fine) without it. Only issue I have had (after a tweak or two) is how easy it was to wake up from deep hibernation. Based on the various BIOS. The current guy I can wake with my harmony remote.
Are you sure all yours would always sleep after waking for a recording? Mine would eventually go to sleep, but there is apparently some bug in WMC that interferes, especially after a guide update. At least once a week, my PC would be awake in the morning when it shouldn't have been. There is a setting in MST that forces a suspend after a recording or guide update. The OP obviously has the same issue.

In any case, maybe I should rephrase. There is no other "easy" way that I know of. I'm sure with a lot more effort or a bit of luck you could have perfect sleep/wake behavior. But MST is so simple, I don't understand why some avoid it like the plague. Install, check a box, problem solved.

post #21 of 34 Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Are you sure all yours would always sleep after waking for a recording?
Yep - I'm rather anal retentive about such. I have had a few issues over the years... however a Google resolved them.

| 
|
|
|
post #22 of 34 Old 07-26-2014, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

the result of the DOS commandpowercfg-REQUESTS which is susposed to revelve what preventing the PC to sleep.

DISPLAY
None
SYSTEM:
(DRIVER) \FileSystem\srvnet

An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

AWAYMODE:
None

OK there seams to be three different arguments

1.mouse keyboard

2.Updates turned on

3.W7MC won’t work correctly and requires 3rdparty SW MST

Can someone please explain each line theDOS cmd explaination of powercfg-REQUESTS so I can focus my attention on theactualle problem area.

Here’s my interputation of each line.

DISPLAY
None * because I had the display set to never turn off.
SYSTEM:
(DRIVER) \FileSystem\srvnet *could be a out of date or corurpt driver or arecent update conflicts w/ this srvnet driver

An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine. * could bethe mouse *even though it’s power is switched off.

As far as the mouse goe’s I’ll logicalley disableit then retest sleep.

Then which is what I’m thinking could bethe root of the problem is swapping USB ports for this device because after newcase I am now using a different USB port.

AWAYMODE:
None *unsure of this

As far as updates go I only do W7/MC guideupdates every 10 days then turn updates off.

As far as a 3rd party SW MSTnever needed it in the past.

Someone in the other related post mentioneda failing Power supply My response I actualley I recently upgraded to a corsairPSU so I dought the PSU is causeing thisissue, can a PSU be tested w/ SW? or is a PSU only tested w/ a mulitmeter?

STB

note to AVS fourm when ever I paste a word doc. here alot of two words get combined as one word.

Last edited by stevethebrain; 07-26-2014 at 03:44 AM.
post #23 of 34 Old 07-26-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

srvnet means something else on your network is waking it, not a keyboard or mouse or program on that computer. What else streams files from it, another PC, extender or streaming device? Is your network card in device manager set to wake on magic packet only?

Your away mode settings are correct.

I don't think any USB port is the culprit, but it wouldn't hurt going through each one in device manager and disabling wake (except on your keyboard). This should allow you to leave the mouse on and not have it wake your PC, only the keyboard should wake.

You said in another post it wouldn't sleep after waking for recording. That's what led me down the MST path. So this isn't really an issue?

post #24 of 34 Old 07-26-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
srvnet means something else on your network is waking it, not a keyboard or mouse or program on that computer. What else streams files from it, another PC, extender or streaming device? Is your network card in device manager set to wake on magic packet only?when I look in device manager/network adapters/double click/advanced tab/ scroll down and highlight wake on magic packets it's value is enabled only other option is disable I don't see the wake on magic packets only option.

The only other new device I connect to the HTPC is a portable HDD.

Your away mode settings are correct.

I don't think any USB port is the culprit, but it wouldn't hurt going through each one in device manager and disabling wake (except on your keyboard). This should allow you to leave the mouse on and not have it wake your PC, only the keyboard should wake.

You said in another post it wouldn't sleep after waking for recording. That's what led me down the MST path. So this isn't really an issue?
yes previous post had two sleep issues
1.after putting it to sleep manuelly it would wake exactly one minute later this has been resolved.
2. the PC will wake up for the schduled recording after recording it won't sleep as it used to before the case swap.

edit I have the Logitech M310 optical mouse and the Logitech K520 keyboard both use the same transpodonder Which I just moved to another USB port thats part of the PCB.
STB

Last edited by stevethebrain; 07-26-2014 at 07:01 AM.
post #25 of 34 Old 07-26-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I’ve been reading on this sleep issue.

http://mingersoft.com/blog/2011/12/why-wont-windows-automatically-sleep/

here’s some advice however I could’nt get to this step

Scroll down to the “Media streaming”

post #26 of 34 Old 07-26-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

There is probably a trojan on one of the computers.

post #27 of 34 Old 07-26-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

resolved

Quote:
There is probably a trojan on one of the computers.
hopefully there no trojan I limit the time the HTPC is onthe net. plus I have MSN essentuels also I only connect to net w/ one PC at atime.

Good news is

Solution to this error (DRIVER) \FileSystem\srvnet

Forme was this DOS cmd

powercfg /requestsoverride driver srvnet system (all in lower case)l

my PC will wake from sleep record a scheduled recordingthen return to sleep.

badnews is when I

Manuellyforce to sleep it wakes 15 seconds later

More Good news all I had to do was restore my power settingsback to default

Settings and the PCwill stay asleep.

I’veonly tested the record sleep twice and the restored default power setting twiceso I hope I’m not celerbrating to soon.

Apparentlythis error is related to W7 being on a SSD weird because I never had a sleepproblem before the case case upgrade.

Here’sa teaser image of my new case will postup in the show you’r PC thread later.

Thanks Guy's for the surport
STB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nzxt6.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	181466   Click image for larger version

Name:	nzxt3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	181474   Click image for larger version

Name:	nzxt5.jpg
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	181482   Click image for larger version

Name:	nzxt2.jpg
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	181490  

Last edited by stevethebrain; 07-26-2014 at 03:29 PM.
post #28 of 34 Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
hopefully there no trojan I limit the time the HTPC is onthe net. plus I have MSN essentuels also I only connect to net w/ one PC at atime.
Beware, MS Essentials is a good BASIC anti-virus, but it really doesnt stop much. I just read a review, and went with Bit Defender Free for my mother's computer. She had MSE, and wound up with hundreds of bad things, including trojans, key-loggers, and some worms for good measure! And she is 78 yrs old! So mostly from shopping sites I believe.
post #29 of 34 Old 07-27-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post
Beware, MS Essentials is a good BASIC anti-virus, but it really doesnt stop much. I just read a review, and went with Bit Defender Free for my mother's computer. She had MSE, and wound up with hundreds of bad things, including trojans, key-loggers, and some worms for good measure! And she is 78 yrs old! So mostly from shopping sites I believe.
I disagree with Bit Defender and the majority of "free antivirus / spyware / etc" software's findings

If you really cross checked the status page of the names of some of the "hundreds" of things to any real security firms (ie not mcafee, avg, avast, norton) they would explain the majority are either benign or (the more likely case) they don't even exist on your system. Free AV has had a long standing "fake list" of what they find and an offer to go fix it for free -- then really fix it for $9.95/mo
ajhieb likes this.
post #30 of 34 Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Please help No audio for external speakers out of Yamaha AVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post
Thanks for the tip STB.

well dam I fix one PC issue and create another TV related issue.

Please help No audio for external speakers out of Yamaha AVR

I have a Samsung P58C500 TV and a Yamaha RXV 465 AVR

A Magnavox DVR, Sony BD and a PC connected to the AVR w/HDMI cables then out of AVR w/ HDMI to the TV also have a optical Tosh linkconnected to TV’s audio out to AVR AV1.

I have always been able to use my external speakers for alldevices except for now the TV’s audio will only play though it’s own builtinspeaker, my DVD, PC and BD will still play w/ my speakers connected to the AVRjust not w/ the TV.

The TV has the option of speaker select external or TVspeaker. I haven’t unplugged any cables and I’ve attemped to reconfigure theAVR however I still can’t get audio for TV.

Please advice

STB

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page