Old 07-26-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Does anybody know what Sony called "overscan" on those Cathode Ray HDTV's?
I messed with the service menu several weeks ago to adjust the size and position. I don't recall seeing overscan in there.
If it's HSIZ and HPOS, I already tried those. They brought the picture to the edges of the screen, but the "viewable" part of the edges is still off screen. I think the overscan must be adjusted at the video card, not the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
If it's HSIZ and HPOS, I already tried those. They brought the picture to the edges of the screen, but the "viewable" part of the edges is still off screen. I think the overscan must be adjusted at the video card, not the TV.
Years ago I went in the service menu to correct the overscan, but it made the geometry errors even more pronounced. When you try to correct geometry errors for one part of the screen another area of the screen is effected. After a while I realized the only way to truly get close to perfect geometry on this 16:9 flat screen CRT is by placing magnets on the back of the tube itself, which was more trouble than it's worth to me. I reverted back to the factory calibration with 5% overscan and all and just let XBMC resize the picture. I still have a bit of bowing on the right edge of the screen but I don't notice it unless I look for it. Of course with sources other than the PC I have too much overscan but it's better than having a wavy picture.

I think you're on the right path with an external GPU. When I had my old Core2 Duo system connected to this TV I used an ATi 4670 card and resized the picture with CCC. I don't have that ability with my current Intel HD4600 but I only use this TV with XBMC when using it as an extended display. For a long time now I've been on the fence about replacing this TV with a bigger LED LCD TV (or 1080p plasma if I can still find one that's not too big for the room) but can't bring myself to replace something that is still perfectly functional (especially since it has virtually no resale value).
Old 07-27-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 447
FWIW, AMD driver has overscan settings.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
but can't bring myself to replace something that is still perfectly functional (especially since it has virtually no resale value).

Yes!!! Last summer I tried to sell it on CL for $150, but I only got one response. He did look at it, but decided against it. I coulden't believe that apparently not one person puts PQ above cabinet size and weight. My sister is happy with it since previously she was using her 19" computer monitor to watch TV. The built in speakers are better than what she had as well.

The overscan is a problem, especially since she is mentally disabled, so trying to explain that the "X" to close programs is just off screen is useless. It's made MB3 impossible for her to use as well. She's using Plex, but MB3 will give her her own log in.

Now that you mention it, after adjusting one paramiter (HPOS and HSIZ VPOS VSIZ) change another. The set is about 8 years old (I think), so I did have to adjust a couple of things,
Old 07-27-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Happy Day! I installed the card, and like many had said, I was able to adjust the overscan pretty much prefectly. Looks like this will work out (of course, it's only been an hour!).

Interestingly, I have a BR mkv (about 12,000kbps I think) version of the movie "The Music Man" on my server, that previously would not play correctly (extensive studdering) using MB Classic on her pc. Now it plays fine.

However, I added an mp4 movie yesterday (Pirates of Penzance) that is only about 3000kbps, and it will not play using MB Classic, but it does play using Plex.

Also, none of the QT based movie trailers play either. I'll have to head over to the MB forums for that.

Much thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions!!!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well both the iGPU and the 610 should be able to play back all sanely encoded AVC movies, using HW decoding / DXVA. Something is wrong with the settings, I'm sure.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks