Opinions On Entry Level HDMI Video Card - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Opinions On Entry Level HDMI Video Card

Yes, yet another thread on video card opinions.

Looking for a low cost HDMI PCIx card, preferably Nvidia based (not a fan of Catalyst).

My sister uses her Win 8 pc to record (HDHR Prime) cable and watch Netflix and Plex (from my server. Her only other use is Google+ and looking at photos.

He MB has a built in Intel based HDMI, but the Win8 driver does not give access to overscan adjustments, and she could not see the borders (so not X button to close programs).

I put in an old ATI Radeon HD 4300, which fixed the overscan issue, but the drivers are giving "protected" errors in both WMC and Netflix, so now she can't watch her Disney recordings (not even live broadcasts) or Netflix. I tried Win 7 drivers, but they won't install (not for this OS, or something).

I figure a modern card with modern drivers should do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Yes, yet another thread on video card opinions.

Looking for a low cost HDMI PCIx card, preferably Nvidia based (not a fan of Catalyst).

My sister uses her Win 8 pc to record (HDHR Prime) cable and watch Netflix and Plex (from my server. Her only other use is Google+ and looking at photos.

He MB has a built in Intel based HDMI, but the Win8 driver does not give access to overscan adjustments, and she could not see the borders (so not X button to close programs).
What Intel GPU and Driver Version? All of the ones I've encountered (which granted, isn't all of them) had adjustments for this.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intel.png
Views:	153
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	178594  

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 1740
any cheap Radeon like a 6000 series should work. Or an R7 entry level.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 07-24-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ajhieb is also right, I use that on my plasma. It overscans like a total pig. I think I have it set on like 62% for both to get it about right.

Sometimes displays have a "PC" mode or input that disables overscan BTW, on the TV.

Or, you can disable it in the service menu of the TV. YMMV.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 07-24-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
What Intel GPU and Driver Version? All of the ones I've encountered (which granted, isn't all of them) had adjustments for this.

Yeah, I recognize that window, but I don't get it on this PC. I get a different, more dumbed down Intel HD Graphics Control panel.

The option to uncheck "Maintain display scaling" is not available for the HDMI out. I CAN uncheck it for the VGA out to the computer monitor, but not for the TV.

This is an old Sony 30" cathode ray tube HDTV. It has a beautiful picture. I used to have it connected to a Windows XP computer, using the same ATI based PCIx card previously mentioned. That XP driver worked fine, and I was able to adjust overhang no problem. But the Win 8 driver for that card gives protected display errors.

Device Manager only says: Intel HD Graphics. Driver provider Intel Corporation. Version 10.18.10.3345.

Mfusick, you're becoming like a brother to me. By that I mean when I talk to my brother in the IT field, he doesn't listen to me half the time. My original post said I'd rather stay away from ATI. Ha ha! But I'll check that card out anyway.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I recognize that window, but I don't get it on this PC. I get a different, more dumbed down Intel HD Graphics Control panel.

The option to uncheck "Maintain display scaling" is not available for the HDMI out. I CAN uncheck it for the VGA out to the computer monitor, but not for the TV.

This is an old Sony 30" cathode ray tube HDTV. It has a beautiful picture. I used to have it connected to a Windows XP computer, using the same ATI based PCIx card previously mentioned. That XP driver worked fine, and I was able to adjust overhang no problem. But the Win 8 driver for that card gives protected display errors.

Device Manager only says: Intel HD Graphics. Driver provider Intel Corporation. Version 10.18.10.3345.
Hmmm.. that's interesting. Mine is an HD3000 and I'm using Driver version 9.17.10.3517 (3/20/2014) in Win7x64

According to Intel Download site, 15.28.22.64.3517 is the latest (4/10/2014)

Being a CRT based device, I'm wondering if that might be the reason you're getting different options though. Also, Mfusick might be on to something with the TV settings. Surely there is an option on that thing somewhere to disable overscan.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Simple vs Advanced, check that.

-

Old 07-24-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Win7 and Win8 Intel drivers have totally different UI. But you can still use custom aspect ratio adjustment. See the attached screen shoot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intel.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	178642  
ajhieb likes this.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Win7 and Win8 Intel drivers have totally different UI. But you can still use custom aspect ratio adjustment. See the attached screen shoot
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. Can't uncheck it for the HDMI though.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm.. that's interesting. Mine is an HD3000 and I'm using Driver version 9.17.10.3517 (3/20/2014) in Win7x64

According to Intel Download site, 15.28.22.64.3517 is the latest (4/10/2014)
Windows update reports the newest driver is currently installed.

Quote:
Being a CRT based device, I'm wondering if that might be the reason you're getting different options though. Also, Mfusick might be on to something with the TV settings. Surely there is an option on that thing somewhere to disable overscan.
That. But no user option on the TV menu for over scan though. You have to go into the service menu. I figured for $40 I could just get a modern video card and at least take care of the copy protection errors. It's ridiculous she can't watch Netflix on a Win 8 machine.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked: 643
A $29 fanless HD 5450 running the current 14.4 AMD drivers should work fine. I've run AMD cards in my HTPCs for years and only version 12.8 and 14.4 drivers work, in my experience, without error. Other versions have various issues, including the HDCP problem you have.
leebo likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 07-24-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would never rely on Windows Update for reliable drivers or driver info. That being said...

Quote:
That. But no user option on the TV menu for over scan though. You have to go into the service menu. I figured for $40 I could just get a modern video card and at least take care of the copy protection errors. It's ridiculous she can't watch Netflix on a Win 8 machine.
...being a pragmatist myself, I get that you just want the problem fixed.

I'd just use a plain jane $30 Nvidia GeForce 210. (See... I even read that you wanted to avoid AMD )
leebo likes this.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm using a similar set up in my bedroom. It's an i5-4440 with Intel HD 4600 IGP running Windows 8.1, an AV receiver, a 23" LED LCD monitor, and my old Sony XBR 34" CRT HDTV. I'm using extended desktop mode because when I run duplicate I get screen tear on the second display (regardless of whether my monitor or the TV is the primary display). The Intel graphics dashboard will only let me change the overscan on the monitor (which of course doesn't need any correction) but not the Sony CRT. However, XBMC will let me adjust overscan on just the TV so I have no need for a separate GPU.

These old Sony CRT HDTVs still produce a very nice picture. They can't match the resolution of the Panasonic 50" 1080p plasma I use in my living room but color accuracy and blacks are better. 34" seems really tiny to me now but it's good enough for a bedroom and I don't plan on replacing mine until it dies (8+ years now with no issues whatsoever).

Last edited by Slosh; 07-24-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would never rely on Windows Update for reliable drivers or driver info. That being said...

...being a pragmatist myself, I get that you just want the problem fixed.

I'd just use a plain jane $30 Nvidia GeForce 210. (See... I even read that you wanted to avoid AMD )
Guess we're not brothers then! Ha ha.

Tuvm. I'll let you know how it turns out.

ajhieb likes this.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
I'm using a similar set up in my bedroom. It's an i5-4440 with Intel HD 4600 IGP running Windows 8.1, an AV receiver, a 23" LED LCD monitor, and my old Sony XBR 34" CRT HDTV. I'm using extended desktop mode because when I run duplicate I get screen tear on the second display (regardless of whether my monitor or the TV is the primary display). The Intel graphics dashboard will only let me change the overscan on the monitor (which of course doesn't need any correction) but not the Sony CRT. However, XBMC will let my adjust overscan on just the TV so I have no need for a separate GPU.

These old Sony CRT HDTVs still produce a very nice picture. They can't match the resolution of the Panasonic 50" 1080p plasma I use in my living room but color accuracy and blacks are better. 34" seems really tiny to me now but it's good enough for a bedroom and I don't plan on replacing mine until it dies (8+ years now with no issues whatsoever).
I actually prefer it to my cheap 39in Vizio, except it takes up a lot of room and gets hot (I'm sleeping in a converted garage that can get up to 85 during the Sumner).

Old 07-24-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Try updating drivers from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx (Should work automatically too). If driver update doesn't help, I personally would recommend a GT 610, fanless, if case allows it. It's around 40$, and offers much newer technology than the 210 (= lower consumption and more power).
ajhieb likes this.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
Old 07-24-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Other versions have various issues, including the HDCP problem you have.
I could not remember the exact name of the issue. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't know if you can use the Metro Netflix app on an extended dispaly (I never tried because I use a Roku for Netflix). Perhaps the Metro app can be played via XBMC?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FTR, I also dislike AMD immensely, but couldn't say no to all the $15 cards I've gotten. Once I learned to resist the temptation to update working drivers, I've had very few problems with them actually. If I could find a fanless GT 610 for $15, I'd be all over it. I can't justify spending much more than that on my cheap builds.

Netflix in IE works just as well (or as badly, IMO) as the Metro app (neither uses Silverlight) and should work on an extended display.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah I admit I read like only 40% of this thread and did indeed miss the part of avoiding AMD

Are you using DVI to run the signal ?

-

Old 07-24-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I disabled overscan (reduced it) on a couple Sony TV's in the past. The service menu is fairly straight forward for those TVs if I remember. It's been years since I adjust convergence or parameters in a TV like that though.

-

Old 07-24-2014, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Try going to Intel's website directly and use the driver update analyzer http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect. I've had it recognize new drivers weeks before they showed up on the Windows update list. I never allow Windows update to install driver updates. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I always get them from the device manufacturer's website (or the motherboard manufacturer's website, if the device came installed as part of the motherboard).

(edit) Whoops, Barnahadnagy beat me to it with a different link. Should work the same.

Last edited by dfkimbro; 07-24-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnahadnagy View Post
I personally would recommend a GT 610, fanless, if case allows it. It's around 40$, and offers much newer technology than the 210 (= lower consumption and more power).
For $10 extra that would probably be a pretty good choice too.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Netflix in IE works just as well (or as badly, IMO) as the Metro app (neither uses Silverlight) and should work on an extended display.
Even IE gives the same error.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Are you using DVI to run the signal ?
Her computer monitor only has VGA. But naturally she wants to watch her movies on the HDTV. In any case, both monitors are giving the same error.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Amazon has the fanless Asus 610 for $31 AR, available with Prime. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Much thanks to everyone (inc. those 40% readers)!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Try VGA to component video adapater?

-

Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
HDCP won't work over VGA. Did you ever get into the advanced sections of the intel driver after updating it from the intel website? I don't think a discrete card is necessary for netflix.

I had an issue with a card not working correctly with drivers (it was on server 2012 and a drilled out 8x pciexpress physical slot so I figured that was the cause), and just fixed the overscan via the registry.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

HDCP doesn't need to work over VGA. I've never had trouble watching anything over VGA.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
Try going to Intel's website directly and use the driver update analyzer http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect. I've had it recognize new drivers weeks before they showed up on the Windows update list. I never allow Windows update to install driver updates. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I always get them from the device manufacturer's website (or the motherboard manufacturer's website, if the device came installed as part of the motherboard).

(edit) Whoops, Barnahadnagy beat me to it with a different link. Should work the same.
Interestingly, theb automatic download utility downloaded the incorrect driver (is software does not match the found hardware or something to that effect). It was listed as 15.33.22.64.3621.

I had to find it manually, using a link on the web site, then I had to select three different pull downs, then it was off to Intels Product ID site (they didn't even provide a link) to track down the cpu's code name, then back to the original site to use that info to answer more questions. I'm surprised they didn't make me go to Hobbitville or whatever it's called to look for a stinking ring or broomstick.

Then of course a reboot.

After all of that: Oops, Netflix encountered a problem. It could be that your display drivers are not up to date.

Wait! Netflix is now working, it's just one movie that gives that error (Pirates Of Penzance)! Wtf??? So maybe it wasn't an HDCP issue.

In any case, still have the overscan issue on the HDTV. There's even a slightly new Intel control panel, but still no option to uncheck "Maintain Display Scailing" on the TV (it's there for the pc monitor though).

Does anybody know what Sony called "overscan" on those Cathode Ray HDTV's?
I messed with the service menu several weeks ago to adjust the size and position. I don't recall seeing overscan in there.

The card arrived today (one day delivery!!!). If I can't adjust the overscan in the TV, I'll install it later or tomorrow and report.