post #61 of 100 Old 08-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Now you know why companies are salivating at the future of IP delivery of TV content. Not only does it allow them to bypass DVRs and force you to watch commercials again, but with the content owners also serving as ISPs, they can doubly charge you for the same content when watching it causes you to exceed your monthly bandwidth cap. It's a win-win for them and a lose-lose for you, aside from your ability to watch those commercials abroad, unlike the traditional TV model that forces you to watch them at home.
I agree.

That's why I can't understand why this whole "cord-cutting" movement seems to get attention. Except for this one PlayOn app mentioned above, I haven't heard the cord cutters really address the issue of streaming commercials. With something like 50% of the country using DVRs, I think this transition will take a long convince people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 100 Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
...As far as the quality of PlayLater "recordings", they're identical to the source in my experience....
And that's a big issue. If it's not decent bitrate 1080i/p with 5.1 audio then I won't be considering it regardless of commercials, remote control, dvr, convenience, price..
post #63 of 100 Old 08-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Sure. So there's software called "PlayOn" and a second companion software called "Play Later"....
Interesting. I checked on their site, and it seems to be software you install on a home PC where it will record streams that you indicate and then it serves the recordings out to Roku boxes throughout the house. It's certainly not a turn key system though. Apparently Hulu doesn't carry all TV shows, so you have to program a patchwork of streams to record from. And there isn't really anyone to call when something goes wrong because you are using your own hardware, through the PlayOn software, to record content from Hulu and other providers, over your cable companies internet lines.

Quote:
I have dozens of movies I've "recorded" from Netflix. As Netflix removes them, I get to keep them.

I could, if I wanted, subscribe to HBO for a month, record seasons of HBO series from HBOGO, then cancel HBO and spend a few months watching my recordings.

Then there's Usenet and Torrents, which, contrary to what many people have been brainwashed into thinking, are not all illegal files. There are tons of public domain shows like The Beverly Hillbillies and Gilligan's Island available. No need to subscribe to expanded basic to get TV Land. There are even programs that can automatically search out these shows and download them for you.
All of this sounds like it turns watching TV into a job or a chore. I mean, sure, I could DVR a bunch of stuff to watch on HBO and then call the cable co. and cancel it for a few months, but what does doing that get me?

Public domain choices aren't really a concern, since I already know what I want to watch. I don't want to change what I watch simply because that is all that is available using these methods. I want to come home from work and turn the TV on knowing that my shows recorded and can be watched that night. Depending on this patchwork of providers, hardware and software sounds like far too much hassle. It would be easier to just buy the DVD sets of the shows that I watch and view them commercial free that way.

I just don't see an advantage to this method of content delivery over what we have today.
post #64 of 100 Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 155
You are correct about the effort involved. As far as if it offers any advantage, that depends on what you consider an advantage.

Lucky for the cable cos, most folks agree with you. I think that's why this thread exists.

As I said, I'm not trying to convince anyone to do any of this. I was just pointing out ONE way to avoid renting a cable DVR. I'm sure there are others.

I guess the point I was really trying to make is that any successful company will try to provide what customers want. Want being defined as what people are willing to accept.

If a majority of customers refused to pay for 100 channels when they really only want 10, that's what cable cos would provide. They might come up with an easy way to provide sperate channels, or even separate shows. But most are willing to accept the other 90 channels, because of the effort involved I guess.

I'm my case, our cable bill went from $95/month (inc. Internet), to $135 in only two years. And that was AFTER we got rid of the dvr and cable box. That's something like an 80% increase.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
post #65 of 100 Old 08-07-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoJames View Post
That's why I can't understand why this whole "cord-cutting" movement seems to get attention.
A true cord cutter would cancel his pay TV services and use OTA only. If you cancel your cable service to get Netflix instead, you're merely exchanging one cord for another, because you think Netflix's cord is more economical. Cable used to be the same way, though. There were no commercials initially, and then cable channels got commercials. The service used to be cheap, and now it isn't.

Netflix will follow the same pattern, and ten years from now, people will be complaining about how Netflix is killing their entertainment budget with high monthly fees and wasting their entertainment time by showing so many commercials.
post #66 of 100 Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I don't think any cord cutters can do without internet

Though with internet, ota, htpcs, and sickrage you can have a great experience

Still not a good solution for sports or news watchers unless ota can satisfy your sports/news needs
post #67 of 100 Old 08-08-2014, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
I don't think any cord cutters can do without internet
It's called an antenna.

If sports are important to you, you wouldn't cancel your cable service in the first place, as you can't get that content anywhere else.
post #68 of 100 Old 08-08-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
Ota ftw.
There's hardly anything worth watching on OTA. I'm down to only Person of Interest now. (Community moving to Yahoo)
post #69 of 100 Old 08-08-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
There's hardly anything worth watching on OTA. I'm down to only Person of Interest now. (Community moving to Yahoo)
Depends on what you watch.

There is hardly anything worth watching on Cable. Just like MTV moved away from Music Tele Vision into soap operas, History channel is moving from History into Reality Soap operas. TLC has nothing about "Learning" "TLC = The Learning Channel". Discovery is not about Discoveries anymore. Science Channel is still educational, but man, there are a ton of ReRuns.

At least OTA still has comedies, NOVA, Space, Cat in the Hat...
htpcforever likes this.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #70 of 100 Old 08-08-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's called an antenna.

If sports are important to you, you wouldn't cancel your cable service in the first place, as you can't get that content anywhere else.
Well, in my case, I need both an antenna AND dynomite. An antenna to pick up TV signals, and dynomite to get rid of the apartment building that is blocking those signals behind us.

We're still having to pay Charter $35/mo just to get the broadcast networks.
post #71 of 100 Old 08-08-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 146
OTA would require an antenna and several bunker-buster bombs to eliminate the hills and perhaps some of the curve of the earth between me and the antennas. Not everyone lives in the big city, y'all.
htpcforever likes this.

post #72 of 100 Old 08-08-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
Depends on what you watch.

There is hardly anything worth watching on Cable. Just like MTV moved away from Music Tele Vision into soap operas, History channel is moving from History into Reality Soap operas. TLC has nothing about "Learning" "TLC = The Learning Channel". Discovery is not about Discoveries anymore.
Good thing you can avoid all that. Almost everything on HBO/Showtime/FX is must see tv.

Game of Thrones, True Detective, Fargo, Louie, The Bridge, Masters of Sex, Shameless, Banshee, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Episodes, The Knick, Penny Dreadful, The Leftovers, Nurse Jackie, Orphan Black, Ray Donovan, Sons of Anarchy, Silicon Valley, The Americans, Veep, Vice. That's just off the top of my head.
post #73 of 100 Old 08-09-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's called an antenna
Really? You imagine cord cutters as those who go to OTA hooked up directly to the tv with only cellular service?

I ask this in this manner because I don't think that. Not my intention to say you are incorrect, but I just thought everyone came to terms that whether you ditched cable, used netflix, or ditched both and only used OTA that you would still have internet access in all scenarios. People that come to mind who think of themselves as cord cutters fall into that category

Quote:
Yeah, I'd been hanging on for a while due to football. Then last year I ended up watching very few games, and noticed that seasonally it's a bad time of year for tv watching in my industry. I have no intent of taping it and watching later like I would with a popular tv series, because there are too many places where it would be spoiled along the way. Now, I think that the 6-8 games I actually watch will be watched at a sports bar instead (5 out of 7 were last year anyway). I got a little tired of being the only one entertaining, so I'll let the business owner pickup the cable bill Still have internet though
post #74 of 100 Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not really true, if you are willing to live on the dark side a bit.
post #75 of 100 Old 08-09-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Really? You imagine cord cutters as those who go to OTA hooked up directly to the tv with only cellular service?

I ask this in this manner because I don't think that. Not my intention to say you are incorrect, but I just thought everyone came to terms that whether you ditched cable, used netflix, or ditched both and only used OTA that you would still have internet access in all scenarios. People that come to mind who think of themselves as cord cutters fall into that category
I'm saying that the term "cord cutter" is generally applied to people who cancel their pay-TV service, and if you do that, you don't need Internet access to watch TV: you can still use an antenna to be truly cord free. That being said, people who cancel cable or satellite may want to supplement their entertainment with Internet content, but it is certainly not required, and if you're ditching cable for Netflix, you're not really a cord cutter, because you've just exchanged an expensive cord for a cheaper cord. Netflix, after all, still has a monthly fee, just as Comcast and Time Warner do.

Quote:
If you're advocating for illegal content acquisition, then you don't need to pay for anything other than Internet access, but it's hardly something you can recommend as a legitimate alternative (since it is, by definition, an illegitimate alternative).
post #76 of 100 Old 08-10-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Uh yeah if you want a really crappy experience (live sports streaming, that is). No thanks, I'll pay for full HD and DD 5.1.

And it's ridiculous to say that there's nothing good on cable - as you mentioned, there is a TON of good content being put out by networks such as HBO, FX, and AMC and has been for years now. Ignore the reality crap, sure, but folks can't say there's nothing good otherwise.

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 08-10-2014 at 09:47 AM.
post #77 of 100 Old 08-10-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Uh yeah if you want a really crappy experience (live sports streaming, that is). No thanks, I'll pay for full HD and DD 5.1.

And you'll be paying your cable co for one or more boxes to do that, if they have their way. This thread is about the possible death of the cable card, after all.

The reason I brought up software like PlayOn is because if it comes to pass that the cable industry sucessfully kills our ability to bypass their tuners, you'll have to find some other way to get your shows, or give up and pay them for the privelege of tuning them in.

I'm not really sure why anyone who is currently renting tuners and DVR's from their cable co, and have no plans to use anything else, is even reading this thread.

It is my personal opinion that ironically, if they are successful, they will only motivate even more people to "cut the cord". Btw, the popular meaning of that phrase is to cancel your cable TV service, not cancel every service that travels on a wire. If that were the case, you'd have to include your phone service (land line).
post #78 of 100 Old 08-10-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
you'd have to include your phone service (land line).
Land Line?? What's that??

Something like this?

post #79 of 100 Old 08-10-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
And you'll be paying your cable co for one or more boxes to do that, if they have their way. This thread is about the possible death of the cable card, after all.

The reason I brought up software like PlayOn is because if it comes to pass that the cable industry sucessfully kills our ability to bypass their tuners, you'll have to find some other way to get your shows, or give up and pay them for the privelege of tuning them in.

I'm not really sure why anyone who is currently renting tuners and DVR's from their cable co, and have no plans to use anything else, is even reading this thread.

It is my personal opinion that ironically, if they are successful, they will only motivate even more people to "cut the cord". Btw, the popular meaning of that phrase is to cancel your cable TV service, not cancel every service that travels on a wire. If that were the case, you'd have to include your phone service (land line).
Despite the recent turn of events, CableCard is still protected by law. It won't last forever but I doubt that it will be going anywhere anytime soon. And if you're a sports junkie, paying for cable or satellite (regardless of who's equipment you're using) will still provide a vastly better experience compared to an illegal stream on the web.

Even in the context of the new thread topic of cord cutting, "Quality of Live Sports" is a valid a reason as any to argue against cable cutting.
slowbiscuit likes this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #80 of 100 Old 08-10-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Lucky for me, I grew up with three older sisters, and my dad was always too busy working, so no exposure to sports!

However, it seems that there may be a good business opportunity - unless they're too greedy. Which, so far, they are.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
post #81 of 100 Old 08-11-2014, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
AVS frowns on this type of talk so I won't go into much detail, but it's possible to get HD (720p and 1080i) streams off of these "rouge" sites that are good quality. Torrents are also available for most games shortly after air. Of course, this may not work for everyone or be the most convenient but it is still possible to get sports without a typical cable subscription, it just won't be as easy.

Of course you can always pay for stuff like MLB and NBA tv and get 720p streams (legit) for not too high of a price. A whole season of baseball is like $100. If you want to watch your local team you'll have to connect with a proxy or VPN.
post #82 of 100 Old 08-11-2014, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
AVS frowns on this type of talk so I won't go into much detail, but it's possible to get HD (720p and 1080i) streams off of these "rouge" sites that are good quality. Torrents are also available for most games shortly after air. Of course, this may not work for everyone or be the most convenient but it is still possible to get sports without a typical cable subscription, it just won't be as easy.

Of course you can always pay for stuff like MLB and NBA tv and get 720p streams (legit) for not too high of a price. A whole season of baseball is like $100. If you want to watch your local team you'll have to connect with a proxy or VPN.
I think for most people, torrents, usenet, irc, or any other means of delayed availability won't be acceptable for live events.

Live streaming works for some of the leagues, but the NFL is still being held for ransom by DirecTV. NCAA games are hit or miss.

Even if you do get live streaming working, it is still a non-starter for a significant number of sports fans. Most solutions are lacking the 10ft interface. I know a lot of my Saturdays and Sundays are spent flipping between live games I'm interested in. Navigating 2 or 3 streams simultaneously is going to be cumbersome at best.

If not for live sports, I probably would have cut the cord by now and gone to a purely internet based system. I don't think I've actually watched TV in realtime outside of sports for more than a year. But when the games are on, I want to watch them as they happen.
slowbiscuit likes this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #83 of 100 Old 08-11-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
If not for live sports, I probably would have cut the cord by now and gone to a purely internet based system. I don't think I've actually watched TV in realtime outside of sports for more than a year. But when the games are on, I want to watch them as they happen.
Sports and news

Fortunately I only really watch the former and not both. For along time I only watched, but now I mostly read highlights and aggregators. All sports bars for non-ota games this year for me
ajhieb likes this.
post #84 of 100 Old 08-11-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sports and news

Fortunately I only really watch the former and not both. For along time I only watched, but now I mostly read highlights and aggregators. All sports bars for non-ota games this year for me
News I could see going either way. IF you're looking for local news, then OTA is just fine. If you're trying to stay abreast of current events, I think the web is better suited anyway. You can read or watch what you're interested in and you don't have to listen to the local weather chucklehead drone on and on. But if you're a newsie, I can understand just wanting to leave a newsfeed on in the background.

Good point about sports bars. If I had cut the cord, a sports bar would be a more viable alternative for me than streaming.

post #85 of 100 Old 08-11-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a whole-house Tivo/Mini setup AND a whole-house WMC/Xbox setup. With two Cablecards, I don't rent any crappy HD box and never will. And I'm not worried about card support going away on Comcast for at least 5 years, if then. And after that we'll either have a downloadable security standard that can be implemented by third parties or encrypted IP stream support over cable.

Way too much tin foil hat in this post.
htpcforever likes this.

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 08-11-2014 at 06:23 AM.
post #86 of 100 Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
I have a whole-house Tivo/Mini setup AND a whole-house WMC/Xbox setup. With two Cablecards, I don't rent any crappy HD box and never will. And I'm not worried about card support going away on Comcast for at least 5 years, if then. And after that we'll either have a downloadable security standard that can be implemented by third parties or encrypted IP stream support over cable.

If anyone thinks a change can happen in a few months, they have never actually watched the telecommunications industry implement a change. Like you said, it will take years upon years.
post #87 of 100 Old 08-11-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right. Because traditionally, the bigger the corporation, the more they look out for their customers best interests. Silly me, thinking these companys will do whatever they can to make a buck. I probably think he cell co's pushing data services, and then eliminating unlimited data plans, is yet another "conspiracy".

Now where did I put my hat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
If anyone thinks a change can happen in a few months, they have never actually watched the telecommunications industry implement a change. Like you said, it will take years upon years.
Is there one post in this thread suggesting cable cards will be gone in a few months? If so, I missed it. This is how rumors get started.
post #88 of 100 Old 08-11-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 214
My sister just moved into her own place. Shes a college educated millenial that doesn't own a tv set. Comcast's best advertisted price for her to get internet also came with local tv channels and HBO Go for $40 a month. We ended up getting it for $30 a month with no tv stuff.

The call was a good illustration of how this whole shift is going. I call trying to get their best price for internet and they want us to buy $70 tv packages. My sister and I both like watching the Penguin games, and enjoy having the other channels, but at a certain price it's just not worth it young single people with student loans to pay off.

And I agree that those virus infested streaming sites are a no go for watching sports. I can't invite my boss or neighbor over to watch a Pitt game if I'm not sure its going to be available.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #89 of 100 Old 08-12-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is there one post in this thread suggesting cable cards will be gone in a few months? If so, I missed it. This is how rumors get started.
Nobody said a few months but it's pretty clear you think they will try and screw all the third-party devices over eventually. We'll just have to wait and see what happens, but I don't think 'the sky is falling' as bad as you think it will be. Tivo and Comcast are already working on a downloadable security successor to cards, for example, that they intend to freely license to anyone. And Comcast has committed to keep supporting cards in the meantime.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/tv-...pproach/375989

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 08-12-2014 at 07:17 AM.
post #90 of 100 Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Gasoline based cars will go away too.

Jussaying...
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page