post #91 of 100 Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Good thing you can avoid all that. Almost everything on HBO/Showtime/FX is must see tv.

Game of Thrones, True Detective, Fargo, Louie, The Bridge, Masters of Sex, Shameless, Banshee, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Episodes, The Knick, Penny Dreadful, The Leftovers, Nurse Jackie, Orphan Black, Ray Donovan, Sons of Anarchy, Silicon Valley, The Americans, Veep, Vice. That's just off the top of my head.
Yup. All but the HBO stuff ends up on Netflix streaming at some point and optical for the rest, if you can wait for the end of the season. I wait for movies, and am damn close to making the leap for TV as well and keeping the extra 600+/yr in my pocket. I'd have to switch from FIOS though because of the throttling. Lucky for me Optimum is on Open Connect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 08-12-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Nobody said a few months but it's pretty clear you think they will try and screw all the third-party devices over eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
If anyone thinks a change can happen in a few months, they have never actually watched the telecommunications industry implement a change. .

I stand corrected. But you are correct, I do believe that most large corporations put profits over customers. I am at a disadvantage. I grew up in a time when business had much more respect for their customers. Little things. When you called, a person would answer. Today you typically get a recording, telling you how important your call is. It's amazing that they were able to design an automated answering system with feelings and emotions! Otoh, they keep changing their damn menu options!!!

We've gone from, "What do people want", to, "What are people willing to put up with".

When they get rid of cable cards, it will likely be cost related. I can all but guarantee it won't be based on "What will serve consumers best".

These things have little to do with "tin foil" conspiracies, and everything to do with history and observation. Ever hear of Ma Bell (who has been slowly rising from the dead, btw)?

Main stream streaming (say that fast ten times) will come about when us "rebels" reach a certain threshold to make it significantly profitable for them to come up with a convienant delivery system (that they can control).
post #93 of 100 Old 08-12-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
When they get rid of cable cards, it will likely be cost related. I can all but guarantee it won't be based on "What will serve consumers best".
It's already obvious that they aren't interested in what would serve their customers best, as the answer to that is "no DRM".
post #94 of 100 Old 08-12-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It's already obvious that they aren't interested in what would serve their customers best, as the answer to that is "no DRM".
That's not entirely true...

DRM itself is not an issue per se, it's how the overall ecosystem works, that's the problem. What we need is a "key" issued to a person/household whatever, and ALL media coming in should tie their DRM to that key, and any downstream devices that can access that key, should be able to consume that media.

This needs to be universal, like http, not vendor specific, and certainly not provider specific. Can you imagine if these companies all had their own implementation of "http"??
post #95 of 100 Old 08-13-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

DRM itself is not an issue per se, it's how the overall ecosystem works, that's the problem. What we need is a "key" "??
"We" don't needed anything. Cable cards protect cable companies, not us. Hence the two statements above. There nothing wrong with them wanting to protect their assets, as long as consumers don't get confused about who's interests are being protected. You've heard the old saying, "give them an inch"?

Your comment suggests their campaign of misinformation has been very effective.
post #96 of 100 Old 08-13-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

DRM itself is not an issue per se, it's how the overall ecosystem works, that's the problem. What we need is a "key" issued to a person/household whatever, and ALL media coming in should tie their DRM to that key, and any downstream devices that can access that key, should be able to consume that media.

This needs to be universal, like http, not vendor specific, and certainly not provider specific. Can you imagine if these companies all had their own implementation of "http"??
Ufarce comes to mind here.

post #97 of 100 Old 10-21-2014, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 210
The bill is in the hands of the Senate now.

Senator Ed Markey from MA is fighting to stop a vote until a new standard (potentially All Vid) is implemented. I suggest anyone who enjoys using a Cablecard device should contact your Senators. It only takes a few minutes.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/cab...endment/383898

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #98 of 100 Old 10-21-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
post #99 of 100 Old 11-20-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Damn, I had better get my cable card and tuner setup before verizon magically disappears them from the shelf, like blackberry at your favorite wireless store.

I came to AVS, all stoked, to get advice on building a centralized WMC in a VM on server grade hw (it will do other stuff like nas and pfsense). I have lots of questions, relevant to a separate thread of course.

Mine, and family's, TV watching needs are pretty limited. Wife must have Tennis when big matches are on and a couple of shows, kid likes to watch every episode of whatever when she catches the bug (Tanked, etc). For a time it was fishing, and we really enjoyed that together. who can't appreciate a daughter that likes fishing ? But we are rarely caught-up in the typical American viewership must-haves. We got addicted to Breaking Bad and The Americans last year, or was it the year before ? lolz.

So I'm thinking an investment of $199 or $299 for whichever tuner is appropriate would offset the additional cost of renting the cable co's dvr over a period of a year or two. But building a win7 STB for this purpose is gonna need a couple more years amortization. Worse if I want our 2nd tv connected. Unless I repurpose this laptop I'm typing on, heh. Let's see, vga out, hmmm.

Anyway, appreciate seeing this discussion here. I think I'm in alignment with most of the opinions, cable companies are not doing consumers any freaking favours. And CONgress ? pullleese, they are "
535 commoditized temple monkeys pawing through the ruins of America in search of bribes."
post #100 of 100 Old 11-21-2014, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Even if the law passes, the Cable Cos still have a TON of cable card units out there in use. To actively replace them would be very costly. I cannot see cable card going away any time soon.

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page