AVS Forum banner

Noob questions about laptop for my first mediacenter/tv recorder

622 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Andy_Steb 
#1 ·
Hi, I want a htpc able to play various files and record from tv, nothing on wireless and everything for only one tv and I don't think I'll have it connected to internet. I would prefer if possible to continue using only my tv remote (my tv has Anynet+ by the way).

I'm a very cautious buyers and I did some research, but I still need some clarifications:

1. I have an antenna in my tv recorder (about to dying), and a coax cable from here to the tv, but if I remove the power cable from the recorder (power, not the coax) the tv (capable of getting digital terrestrial signal on its own) loses the signal, therefore if I buy a pc, must this always stay turned on to simply watch live tv? I wouldn't want that..isn't there a way to let the tv use its own internal decoder?

2. For starting a scheduled recording is possible to make the pc starts on its own? At least from stand by, if not hybernation (wake on lan?).

3. If I connect antenna only to tv, is there a way to make the pc take the signal via HDMI or other cable?

4. Is possible to record while watching another previous rec? And to watch something in XBMC or MPC-HC while recording?

5. If I buy a tv tuner card will I be able to command it with my tv remote?

6. I want to control the pc not only for XBMC and Windows Media Center but for MPC-HC too, and I saw Flirc which seems appropriate, is there anything better or maybe this is actually useless?

7. I read with HDMI-CEC adapter I will be able to turn on and off tv and pc with a single key; is this still possible with Flirc?

8. Is there a way/addon to create chapters/bookmarks on the fly during your vision, which will be remembered after closing the pc?

If someone doesn't have all the answers feel free to post anyway, I'll be glad, thank you.

See less See more
#4 ·
typically, a laptop will go into standby when lid closed. You will have to configure your system to not standby when lid closed. Otherwise, it is the same as desktop with the exception that laptops are not designed to operate thermo efficiently as desktop. Leave it on for a long time could cause overheat.

#5 ·
1 You need a coax splitter so each device has it's own signal. Sounds like you are currently using some sort of pass-through.

2 Scheduled recordings will wake from standby. (wake on event)

3 NO

4 Yes

5 You would have to have a learning remote

6 Most of us use a Media Center IR and a universal remote

7 Not familiar with Flirc.

8 Most software will have a resume feature. I'm not sure about bookmarks

You can run a laptop with the lid closed. Mine will run a little bit cooler with the lid open.

Reactions: a8213711
#9 ·
Another one, please!
If I use a splitter can I use a tv mono tuner and still be able to see live one channel (antenna on tv) while recording another one (antenna on tuner on pc)?
Or should I necessarily use a dual tuner?
Sorry for my ignorance.

As for guide updates I think I'll do it all manually :D

#10 ·
Which ever way works best for you. It doesn't really matters. Just make sure you still have enough signal strength after using a splitter (which typically adds addition -3.5db loss in signal strength).

But once you get used to DVR, you will not like the DVRless live TV because you can't pause or rewind. A modern PC can easily handle 4 to 6 tuners. So, why not invest in a dual tuner so that you can either record multiple shows at the same time or record one and watch another show with live TV buffering for you to pause and rewind.

#11 ·
You can use a single tuner for what you are trying to do. But the quality of the tuner may be sacrificed with a single unit.

I would go with a network HD Homerun over a USB type tuner even if I didn't need the extra tuner just because of the quality and sensitivity of the tuners.

Reactions: a8213711
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.