Can't wake-up HTPC with IR remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2014, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't wake-up HTPC with IR remote

I don't know what to do anymore cause I think I've tried everything and my PC doesn't want to wake from S3 using the IR remote. With the wireless keyboard or WOL wakesup immediately but with the remote doesn't matter what button I press nothing happens. I've installed MCSE standby tool, unticked all the USB devices from "allow this device to be turned off to save power", ticked everything to "allow this device to wake up the computer" and still no luck. Willing to accept suggestions

Remote Chinavision CVSB-983 + Harmony 785
Motherboard Asus P8H77-I
CPU i5-3450S
8GB Ram
Radeon 7850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Chinavision won't wake. Get a different dongle, Ortek or MCE (RC-6). In my experience Ortek is the most reliable for wake. MCE ones are hit and miss.
Dark_Slayer likes this.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well the funny thing is it wakes some times but not always and some times the IR stops working and I have to restart or unplug the IR. Any idea which is the cheapest remote or just the IR I can find on ebay which is suppose to wake the PC from S3. This Ortek I can only see a used one so not very common. What about those RC6 compatible receivers?

Last edited by blaze2k; 07-26-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I can't recommend any RC6/MCE because none worked consistently for me. But Rosewill, HP, Lenovo, etc. are popular. Maybe someone else can recommend one known to sleep/wake properly.

Ortek is a protocol and a brand. Many cheap PC remotes are Ortek protocol, like ones called Vista, Hama, Adesso, and Sanoxy (just not the $7 Sanoxy you currently have). They're very common. Search for models VRC-1100 and ARC-1100 (you'll also use either of those profiles in Harmony). Just about everybody sells them. Rakuten is the about the cheapest I've seen. Here's one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Windows-.../dp/B00224ZDFY

All Ortek remotes look identical to the one above. The best I've seen on ebay is about $12, about the same as Amazon.

Granted, these are not as full featured as MCE remotes and have a few other quirks. But they do wake consistently. Besides, you're using Chinavision, so Ortek is a huge upgrade from that. MCE is even more of an upgrade but iffy on wake.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Mine would sometimes act up & unplugging / replugging the Rosewill USB IR receiver helped. Actually I unplugged the 20" USB cable that came with the receiver. In my case it appeared to be the USB connector on the PC. I tried a different port & no problem. I really needed the original port due to its location so I did several unplug/replug insertions in order to clean the contacts & that seemed to do the trick. I don't recall if I used any electrical contact cleaner but apparently it was a a dirty USB port. Once in a great while the PC won't wake with the remote & I'll have to use either the RF keyboard or restart the PC, but it's really a rare occurrence. Try a different USB port & see if that helps.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I suggest you write your remote off as a total loss and save yourself a lot of time by getting a real MCE remote if you want to wake up from standby reliably.

From personal experience as well as from numerous reports here in these forums in the past, these non-MCE compliant remotes will not reliably wake the PC up from sleep. A real MCE appears as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in Device Manager. A dead giveaway of a fake MCE remote is one that has a "mouse dial" on it.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I can't recommend any RC6/MCE because none worked consistently for me. But Rosewill, HP, Lenovo, etc. are popular. Maybe someone else can recommend one known to sleep/wake properly.

Ortek is a protocol and a brand. Many cheap PC remotes are Ortek protocol, like ones called Vista, Hama, Adesso, and Sanoxy (just not the $7 Sanoxy you currently have). They're very common. Search for models VRC-1100 and ARC-1100 (you'll also use either of those profiles in Harmony). Just about everybody sells them. Rakuten is the about the cheapest I've seen. Here's one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Windows-.../dp/B00224ZDFY

All Ortek remotes look identical to the one above. The best I've seen on ebay is about $12, about the same as Amazon.

Granted, these are not as full featured as MCE remotes and have a few other quirks. But they do wake consistently. Besides, you're using Chinavision, so Ortek is a huge upgrade from that. MCE is even more of an upgrade but iffy on wake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post
I suggest you write your remote off as a total loss and save yourself a lot of time by getting a real MCE remote if you want to wake up from standby reliably.

From personal experience as well as from numerous reports here in these forums in the past, these non-MCE compliant remotes will not reliably wake the PC up from sleep. A real MCE appears as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in Device Manager. A dead giveaway of a fake MCE remote is one that has a "mouse dial" on it.
Can we agree to disagree [emoji6]

Old 07-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
From personal experience as well as from numerous reports here in these forums in the past, these non-MCE compliant remotes will not reliably wake the PC up from sleep.
You might want to disagree but he's 100% right. ^

At this point I think getting a cheap Android phone and using wake on LAN and Unified Remote (or Yatse for XBMC) might be the best way to get a remote on a PC.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWill View Post
You might want to disagree but he's 100% right. ^

At this point I think getting a cheap Android phone and using wake on LAN and Unified Remote (or Yatse for XBMC) might be the best way to get a remote on a PC.
No he isn't. I've had at least a half dozen name brand MCE remotes (Microsoft, HP, Lenovo, Rosewill, etc.), and 0% wake my PC reliably. Only my Ortek will. Other's with the same issue often keep their MCE dongle for control and add and Ortek just for consistent waking.

I did see one post at TGB where someone found a specific model HP that worked consistently. All others he tried would not, just as I have found. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find that specific model and be certain it isn't a fake.

What I will agree with is that WOL from a smartphone really IS 100% reliable, but also a PITA.

If you have found a reliable MCE remote, please post exactly model numbers or pics or links please. I would love to replace my Ortek with a full featured MCE dongle.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I went from hp to siig to rosewill to harmony. They have all woken up my desktops and laptops after setting appropriate things in bios.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Then OP, I guess what you can take from this is YMMV. Some apparently have no problems with MCE dongles and some do.

My various MCE dongles might work fine for a day, a week or even a month. But then something odd would happen (failed to wake, driver failed to load, driver loaded but would not respond, you name it). I would blame my PC or BIOS settings except for the fact that at least one dongle (my Ortek) always works.

FTR, the remote you use doesn't really matter. Any universal that shoots the same codes will work the same as whatever remote may have come with the dongle.

Good luck
Old 07-30-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I use this successfully though it is a beta feature still I believe https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...-your-computer
Old 07-30-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I just leave my htpc on 24/7 and don't have any wake issues.
Dark_Slayer likes this.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 PM

I got a couple of these a few years back: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880121001. It was sold under the name Anyware. They had no problem whatsoever waking up the PC from sleep on 6 different PCs. They worked 100% of the time.

Prior to the remote above, I got this loser: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-095-_-Product. It worked sporadically on the same 6 systems. It might wake up the PC if I randomly and furiously pressed some keys (ironically the power key was not one of them), and only if I got lucky. Success rate was something like 5%. Very frustrating and time wasting.

YMMV.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Device Manager shows "ehome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" for my Rosewill IR receiver. I did some Googling & from what I could find it appears "ehome Infrared Receiver" and "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" are both legit Microsoft items. Do you have any idea what's the difference? One says "Receiver" & the other "Transceiver". Could it be the "Transceiver" is for a two-way device, such as an IR device that also sends signals as an IR blaster?
Old 07-31-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

That is exactly what a transceiver is, transmitter and receiver. Most of them will have a 3.5mm port for an IR emitter.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
That is exactly what a transceiver is, transmitter and receiver. Most of them will have a 3.5mm port for an IR emitter.
I understand what a transceiver is. An earlier posting said "A real MCE appears as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in Device Manager." But from what I've Googled it seems "ehome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" is also valid.

I just want to clarify if "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" would always be there even if you are just using a receiver.

IOW do I have a "real MCE" remote & IR receiver because Device Manager indicates "ehome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)"? Or am I being led astray?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think there is any way to really tell. Even knock offs use the MCE protocol and MS drivers and recognize the full range of commands. They may even be made in the same factory as the genuine ones.

Windows has no idea what remote you have, only what dongle is plugged in.

Last edited by mdavej; 07-31-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
yeah i have a generic IR receiver "MCE" compatible and whatnot, kinda looks like that AVS gear block, it shows up as "eHome receiver" - it does NOT work to wake computer from sleep.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:04 PM

All my working MCE remote dongles (two Anyware HA-IR01SV, a Rosewill RHRC-11001 and an Inteset internal USB) show up as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" in Device Manager. All can put the PC into standby state and always wake it up with the Power button.

I dunno, maybe they all use the same chipset. Or maybe it's my incredibly good luck.