post #1 of 16 Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 272
HDMI woes - Problem with detecting my TV via receiver

Hi folks,

I have an HTPC with onboard HDMI (It's an Ivy Bridge processor on an Asrock Mini-ITX mobo). I have the HDMI output from HTPC going into my Yamaha RX-V375 receiver, and I then have the receiver HDMI output going into my Panasonic PNF5300 plasma TV.

When I first connected things up, everything worked well. My HTPC detected the TV as a Samsung Digital TV and had all the supported resolutions and refresh rates including 24pHz which I can then use with Cinema Smooth for 96Hz playback on the TV. This also worked well with MadVR and MPC-HC where I could force the 24p refresh rate during playback of 24p content.

The problem seems to arise when the HTPC is still on and I turn off the receiver and TV. Sometimes, when I turn the receiver and TV back on, the Intel drivers now report my display as a Yamaha Receiver and does not "see" my Samsung TV. As a result, I only have 60Hz refresh rates available and cannot make use of 24p playback.

I'm guessing this is an HDMI issue with EDID, autodetect, etc, but I really have no idea how to fix this. Plugging and unplugging the HDMI cable doesn't help as it still shows up as a Yamaha recevier. Rebooting did not help either. At the moment, I've had luck connecting to the 2nd HDMI port on the TV at which point my HTPC again detected the Samsung TV as the display device.

I'm afraid that turning off the receiver and turning it back on will create this issue on the other port as well, at which point I won't be able to use 24p mode on my TV. Does anyone have any suggestions/thoughts on what I could do to try to fix the issue? Is there a way to hardcode the EDID that Windows sees, so this doesn't occur? I'd prefer not to have my receiver turned on 24x7 just to avoid this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
I'm guessing this is an HDMI issue.
Yup. The usual advice is to turn on devices from destination to source (TV, then AVR, then HTPC). Of course, being HDMI, a different order may work for you.
Sometimes just switching the AVR to another source and back to HTPC will get things back in sync. Sometimes.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #3 of 16 Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
And if none of that works, put a hardware device between the PC and AVR like-
active powered hdmi switch
Gefen HDMI Detective
HD Fury Dr HDMI
post #4 of 16 Old 07-28-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post
And if none of that works, put a hardware device between the PC and AVR like-
active powered hdmi switch
Gefen HDMI Detective
HD Fury Dr HDMI
Thanks a lot. I refuse to spend $90+ on the Gefen product for this issue as it just seems way too much money for an issue like this. I'm considering trying the pin 19 trick to see if that solves the issue.

Btw, could you explain why a powered device like an active powered HDMI switch between the HTPC and TV would solve the issue?
post #5 of 16 Old 07-28-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The GPU/drivers react badly to having the display/audio device flicker or go off. Putting a device between tricks the PC into thinking the hdmi handshake is always active.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Aaargh! This is sooo frustrating!!! Things I have tried with no success:

1) Used moninfo to make a custom INF file based on my Samsung TV EDID info and then installed that as a generic PnP monitor when the HTPC sees the AVR instead of the TV. It's supposed to work, but it just so happens that Intel has decided to ignore EDID overriding, so this didn't work for me (I'm using integrated graphics HD4000)

2) I tried the HDMI Pin 19 (Hot plug detection pin) tape trick very fruitlessly. Every time I tape pin 19 and insert, the TV doesn't seem to get any signal. I tried doing the same for the connector to the AVR, and same thing, the AVR then acted like it wasn't receiving any signal. Perhaps taping the pin and plugging it in prevents the receiver from seeing the TV. But then I don't see how you can use the tape trick while also having devices send a signal out irrespective of whether they "see" a device further down the chain via Pin 19.

I really don't want to shell out $20+ for active powered devices to try to address this. It's so incredibly frustrating that something so simple can be such a gigantic clusterf*** with HDMI.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-29-2014, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Look for a BIOS update for your motherboard.
Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide
That ultimately solved the problem for me.

Michael

post #8 of 16 Old 07-29-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Look for a BIOS update for your motherboard.
Assassin's Simple/Beginner HTPC Buying Guide
That ultimately solved the problem for me.

Michael
Thanks Michael. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is any BIOS update for my mobo
post #9 of 16 Old 07-30-2014, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
If you have HDMI handshake problems which won't go away the only thing you really can do to fix it is get a HDMI Detective or Dr HDMI.

That is unfortunately the nature of HDMI. Some devices simply will not work together.

I had to install my Dr HDMI between my Marantz pre/pro and LG TV. Any change of inputs or power status on the Marantz would make the TV lose the handshake and go "no signal". This was regardless of input source so the PC was not the problem, the TV was.

The Dr HDMI fixed in this instantly. Never seen the problem since.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-31-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Thanks Michael. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is any BIOS update for my mobo
I would keep checking for a BIOS update, I have an ASRock Haswell motherboard and was experiencing the same problem, a BIOS update fixed it for me. Samsung TV as well, but I use a Pioneer receiver.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefghi View Post
I would keep checking for a BIOS update, I have an ASRock Haswell motherboard and was experiencing the same problem, a BIOS update fixed it for me. Samsung TV as well, but I use a Pioneer receiver.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately this is an Ivy Bridge Mini-ITX motherboard and the last BIOS update was in 2012 . For the moment, it seems like if I ALWAYS turn my receiver off before my TV, the HTPC retains the correct monitor info when I turn the receiver on in reverse order (TV on, then receiver).
post #12 of 16 Old 07-31-2014, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
When I first connected things up, everything worked well. My HTPC detected the TV as a Samsung Digital TV and had all the supported resolutions and refresh rates including 24pHz which I can then use with Cinema Smooth for 96Hz playback on the TV. This also worked well with MadVR and MPC-HC where I could force the 24p refresh rate during playback of 24p content.
24p is wrong nearly all blurays are 23p (24000/1001). i'm shocked no one corrected this already...
and to make things worse there is a chance you have a bug in your 23p clock. "all" ivy bridge mainbroads have the so called small 24p bug. you can see the current clock when you press control-j when madVR is running.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Easy enough. I'm pretty sure I can program that kind of thing into my Harmony remote (it's been a while, so I won't swear for it).
Welcome to the modern world of HDMI.
Certain to get much better with 2.0.

post #14 of 16 Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
24p is wrong nearly all blurays are 23p (24000/1001). i'm shocked no one corrected this already...
and to make things worse there is a chance you have a bug in your 23p clock. "all" ivy bridge mainbroads have the so called small 24p bug. you can see the current clock when you press control-j when madVR is running.
Well, I do have MadVR setup correctly and the 24p resolution on the Samsung works fine in that MadVR detects the source rate as 23.976Hz. The IvyBridge bug has the display rate at 23.972Hz which results in a dropped frame every 4-5 minutes which I am totally okay with as I don't really notice it. But CinemaSmooth is definitely noticeable with this setup and I really prefer the judder free 4:4 viewing. MPC-HC stats indicate that I am not dropping any random frames during playback.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 113
it doesn't really matter for your tv if it gets 23p or 24p it only matter for the vsync for madVR.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-01-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i had same kind of issues using a pc and geforce card to a dennon avr 1000 to samsung plasma.
after doing all the stuff you have .. including taking an hdmi plug apart to physicaly remove the 19 pin cause taping was a pain!

in the end what solved it was shutting off the hdmi-cec in the samsung . now when i shut down or power up the worst that happens is a 2 second sound blip. like if listening to music thru pc then turn on the tv there will be 2 second blip in sound as the tv powers on. no loss or reboot.
when shutting tv off no issues at all now.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page