• 1 Post By Dark_Slayer
  • 1 Post By Aryn Ravenlocke

post #1 of 17 Old 07-29-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
PleXBMC Noob question

I have searched around and have not found the answer I am looking for, so I do apologize if this has been answered and I just overlooked it.

So I am 1 week into running XBMC Gotham on a dedicated HTPC and now I have found out about Plex. I have a great interest in running Plex for the streaming aspect and wanting to share my library with friends and family on my NAS that is connected to my network. So my question is, if I install the PleXBMC add-on, is that just running a "virtual" server? or does it turn my XBMC experience into more of a Plex? I am vacillating rather or not to turn a new Mac Mini into a dedicated Plex server or if I will be able to provide the same exact functionality (no slow downs, watered down so to speak) with just installing PleXBMC on my main HTPC?

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Denon AVR-X4000
Polk RTi 7.1
BenQ W1080ST projector
custom game/HTPC running XBMC (gotham)

Last edited by simplemind355; 07-30-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Add-on:PleXBMC

PleXBMC is just an add on to allow you to access your PLEX server thru XBMC. You will still need to set up PMS on your main rig or your Mac Mini.

Good luck.
simplemind355 likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 86
PlexBMC is just the front end. Whether you run that, regular XBMC, or anything else on your HTPC won't effect the experience of anyone else you're sharing your plex server with.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, a much clearer overview. Thanks.

So final question, would I be shooting myself in the foot so to speak by installing PMC on my HTPC then? or would it be best to just separate the two? My HTPC is my "old" gaming rig but is still quite beefy even by todays standards:

Quad core i7 3.4 2600k
16gb RAM
2gb GTX-660

My goal is to serve/stream as much content as my 6mbps upstream will allow.

Denon AVR-X4000
Polk RTi 7.1
BenQ W1080ST projector
post #5 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Mac mini is too much price for too little CPU. The only realistic bottleneck in transcoder performance will be your CPU

It'll proudly be cheaper to build your own with a more powerful cpu as your plex server
post #6 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

PHT is the client that you install if you want the latest PLEX Client on your old gaming rig. You can also install PMS the server software on the same machine and it should run and perform just fine. The specs on your HTPC are nice so, their shouldn't a problem there.

You should be able to have both PHT and XMBC on that same machine as well and you can decide which interface you prefer for your content.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

The thing with the Mini is, I already have one that was given to me for trade work (late 2012) and it's just sitting in the box.

I might hit up Newegg or Amazon and see how much it would be to build a small box.

What is the word on the Gigabyte Brix?

Denon AVR-X4000
Polk RTi 7.1
BenQ W1080ST projector
post #8 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind355 View Post
So final question, would I be shooting myself in the foot so to speak by installing PMC on my HTPC then? or would it be best to just separate the two? My HTPC is my "old" gaming rig but is still quite beefy even by todays standards:

Quad core i7 3.4 2600k
16gb RAM
2gb GTX-660

I guess I was typing the first time around when you posted this

No need to separate the two. Your specs can handle PMS just fine

Where is the bulk of your media stored and planned to be stored?
post #9 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
PHT is the client that you install if you want the latest PLEX Client on your old gaming rig. You can also install PMS the server software on the same machine and it should run and perform just fine. The specs on your HTPC are nice so, their shouldn't a problem there.

You should be able to have both PHT and XMBC on that same machine as well and you can decide which interface you prefer for your content.
I will play around with installing PMS and PHT on the HTPC and messing around with it and decide later if it requires a dedicated box or not. This way I can keep that Mini for something else... I don't know what yet, but nice to have it on hand.

Denon AVR-X4000
Polk RTi 7.1
BenQ W1080ST projector
post #10 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The thing with the Mini is, I already have one that was given to me for trade work (late 2012) and it's just sitting in the box.

I might hit up Newegg or Amazon and see how much it would be to build a small box.

What is the word on the Gigabyte Brix?
Seeing as you already have it, then it can make for a perfectly acceptable HTPC (sans HD audio afaik). It's a good form factor to look at You can run PlexHT directly within OSX snow leopard and later, so it makes for a nice plex frontend in that regard. You can use PlexHT locally or remote
post #11 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
I guess I was typing the first time around when you posted this

No need to separate the two. Your specs can handle PMS just fine

Where is the bulk of your media stored and planned to be stored?
I am getting a Synology 414 NAS (looking at the 415play as well) and loading it up with 4-4TB drives the first of next week. I currently have a 4TB external USB 3.0 drive connected to the HTPC.

Denon AVR-X4000
Polk RTi 7.1
BenQ W1080ST projector
post #12 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Seeing as you already have it, then it can make for a perfectly acceptable HTPC (sans HD audio afaik). It's a good form factor to look at You can run PlexHT directly within OSX snow leopard and later, so it makes for a nice plex frontend in that regard. You can use PlexHT locally or remote
I am not so concerned with HD audio on the mini, as it would strictly be around to serve and transcode for streaming. Having said that, what do people do for DolbyHD/DTS-MA if they are running a mini as their HTPC?

Denon AVR-X4000
Polk RTi 7.1
BenQ W1080ST projector
post #13 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Having said that, what do people do for DolbyHD/DTS-MA if they are running a mini as their HTPC?
That was actually meant to say no-bitstreaming-hd-audio

I believe xbmc can decode it on osx and pass it as lpcm, but if not they can certainly just pass the core audio
post #14 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
I have searched around and have not found the answer I am looking for, so I do apologize if this has been answered and I just overlooked it.

So I am 1 week into running XBMC Gotham on a dedicated HTPC and now I have found out about Plex. I have a great interest in running Plex for the streaming aspect and wanting to share my library with friends and family on my NAS that is connected to my network. So my question is, if I install the PleXBMC add-on, is that just running a "virtual" server? or does it turn my XBMC experience into more of a Plex? I am vacillating rather or not to turn a new Mac Mini into a dedicated Plex server or if I will be able to provide the same exact functionality (no slow downs, watered down so to speak) with just installing PleXBMC on my main HTPC?

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
If you like XBMC for your front end, another option would be to go with Media Browser 3 instead of PLEX. It does the same thing and has seamless integration with XBMC (called XBMB3C).Either way, the PC that is controlling the NAS needs to have Plex Media Server or Media Browser Server on it. Any other machines that you want to be able to see the media needs to run either a Plex or MB3 client. Both can be used in conjunction with XBMC.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-31-2014, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Okay, a much clearer overview. Thanks.

Quad core i7 3.4 2600k
16gb RAM
2gb GTX-660

I just love this forum...

And imagine... look at all the nice replies to someone who has researched and hasn't found information on required HW specs to run PMS or PHT and cannot judge if the two can run side by side in the same box...

Something's a bit fishy out here... LOL... I've seen posts where OPs with more technical questions get the RTFM responses...
post #16 of 17 Old 07-31-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Sometimes finding the simple answers can be so alluding. I've been and often still am in that end of the spectrum, and find that this community is always willing to help out where needed.

Just paying it forward
post #17 of 17 Old 07-31-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

I have received WAY more help here than anywhere, so yes, I do love this forum. The XBMC forum is... not up to the same standard I'll say.

Yes, could not judge if XBMC and Plex can exist in peace and play nice in the same environment or if it's better to separate the two environments, because... I am a total HTPC noob (hence referencing that right from the start )

I do thank everyone for their valuable input. I have the NAS on order, and I will install Plex server on the rig today, and then report back to this stream on my success/failure after a week or so of testing.

Denon AVR-X4000
Polk RTi 7.1
BenQ W1080ST projector
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page