Questions on MPC-HC/BE, LAV audio filters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2014, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Questions on MPC-HC/BE, LAV audio filters

I'm not exactly a noob with this stuff - I've had an HTPC setup for a few years with MPC-BE, LAV Filters, bitstreaming DTS-MA/TrueHD etc - but I'm far from an expert, I haven't kept up with developments and my hardware setup is a few years old. Other than occasionally updating MPC-BE, running Windows Update and setting up a simple Samba server with a PogoPlug, I've changed almost nothing with my system for 3-4 years (thus didn't notice when MPC-HC started using LAV filters as internal audio filters)

But now I'm having some trouble, and think I may have messed up my MPC settings somewhat. I probably should just start from scratch and try to get things running smoothly again. Questions:

[background for all questions: my system is not remotely cutting edge - Win7 x64 on AMD Athlon X2 BE2300 1.9GHz with 3G DDR2 ram, with AMD HD6450 video card, INFOCUS IN72 projector that seems to handle 720p & 1080p material fine but is itself only 480p]

1. When I first set up my HTPC I believed that there was no benefit to using 64-bit versions of MPC, LAV, etc, so I used all 32-bit. Then at some point a couple of years ago I switched to MPC-BE and started using 64-bit everything. Is there any reason to switch back to 32-bit software? I don't know if 64-bit has been causing me any problems, but I do think that my system is operating close to its red line and I occasionally get a random video-freeze or the video I'm watching gets jumpy or speeds up.

2. Is there any reason to ditch MPC-BE in favor of the original MPC-HC? (again, as far as I can tell MPC-BE 64bit has been OK)

3. I had things set up to explicitly use LAV audio filters. But my understanding is that MPC now uses LAV by default - correct? What do I need to do to program MPC to use its internal LAV filters? (and I presume that I no longer need to worry about keeping LAV updated since it's included in MPC?)

4. Am I correct that with a relatively old/slow system MadVR would be too resource-demanding?

Thanks for any advice/guidance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
MadVR is still 32-bit only. That's almost the only reason to use a 32bit MPC-BE/HC.

MPC-BE is good. I like the built-in audio renderer that supports WASAPI exclusive mode.

Only MPC-HC uses LAV Filters by default.

madVR performance depends on GPU (CPU is irrelevant). Generally HD 6450 is too weak.
huge likes this.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
MadVR is still 32-bit only. That's almost the only reason to use a 32bit MPC-BE/HC.

MPC-BE is good. I like the built-in audio renderer that supports WASAPI exclusive mode.

Only MPC-HC uses LAV Filters by default.

madVR performance depends on GPU (CPU is irrelevant). Generally HD 6450 is too weak.
renethx - Sorry for the belated thanks - life got in the way of my HTPC tinkering for a while (stupid life!), but ... thanks!

Especially helpful to confirm my suspicion that my HD 6450 will probably not support madVR - presumably that will save me a bunch of time down the madVR rabbit-hole (and allow me to spew more hours down various audio and media-library rabbit-holes where I might make a noticeable difference - I suspect that with my old IN72 projector I'm not going to notice any benefit from madVR anyway).

I've never really understood what WASAPI is all about ... can you or anyone point me at a good place to educate myself (or tell me that with an older slower system I don't need to bother)?

thanks again
-huge
Old 08-14-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Not to argue with the experts, but I'm very successfuly using MadVR with an HD6450 on a 4 year old AMD Phenom 945 HTPC. Just because you can't use the highest level settings doesn't mean you don't get excellent results. Give it a try before you give up on it.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by huge View Post
Especially helpful to confirm my suspicion that my HD 6450 will probably not support madVR - presumably that will save me a bunch of time down the madVR rabbit-hole (and allow me to spew more hours down various audio and media-library rabbit-holes where I might make a noticeable difference - I suspect that with my old IN72 projector I'm not going to notice any benefit from madVR anyway).

I've never really understood what WASAPI is all about ... can you or anyone point me at a good place to educate myself (or tell me that with an older slower system I don't need to bother)?

thanks again
-huge
As Pagali pointed out, you can use madVR with HD 6450. You just can't use high quality settings. Apart from high quality scaling, madVR's IVTC, automatic refresh rate change, smooth motion FRC, for example, are worthwhile.

WASAPI offers a Windows audio session mode. You will use either 'shared' mode (normal mode) or 'exclusive' mode. In shared mode Windows audio engine mixes all PCM sounds (Windows sounds, video playback sounds etc.) into one audio stream and sends it to the audio device. In this mode audio is resampled and down/up mixed to whatever sampling rate / bit depth / channel count you selected in Windows sound control panel. In exclusive mode, the audio stream from the player is sent to the audio device directly without being mixed with other sounds / without resampled / without up or downmixed by Windows audio engine. That's ideal for serious video or music playback. Unfortunately not every player supports WASAPI exclusive mode. MPC-BE (precisely speaking its built-in MPC Audio Renderer) supports it. MPC-HC doesn't (you will need ReClock audio renderer for this purpose). BTW bitstreaming DD/DD+/TrueHD/DTS/DTS-HD is not affected by either mode because it is a compressed audio stream, only PCM audio is affected.

Last edited by renethx; 08-15-2014 at 01:05 AM.