Any success with network attached optical BD Drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any success with network attached optical BD Drive

I am contemplating a NUC to attach discreetly to a TV. I was hoping to share a USB 2.0 attached external BD optical drive over the network for playback of BD discs on the NUC.

I currently have the BD drive in an external USB 2.0 enclosure attached to one computer that will playback BD discs from the enclosure fine on that PC. I shared it over the network and tried playing back the optical disc on other PCs on the gigabit network with poor results with skips in picture and audio. From the same PC with the USB enclosure I have no problems streaming BDMV folders over the network that were ripped on its HDD. I am wondering if my problem is due to the optical media vs HDD rip or the USB 2.0 vs SATA. My next thought is to move the BD drive to an internal SATA connection and see if streaming from there is better. I just wanted to check and see if anybody else has had success doing this.

I am always reluctant to open up my boxes and likely break something that will bring down the wrath of my wife and children when they can't watch TMNT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 07:53 AM

Liked: 15
Sounds more like a network issue than a bus problem. If the BD plays fine on the computer it is attached to, the bus/interface is not the problem. I have never tried to play a BD over a network but I do routinely play HD mp4 files across my gig network with no problems. Make sure both computers are indeed talking gig and not 100mb. Also your router may play a big part in the equation. Go in and play with the router settings. Some routers have optimization for video and most have QOS. QOS in theory makes all network traffic run smoother but can limit heavy bandwidth needs. Try toggling QOS and see if it makes a difference.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
Sounds more like a network issue than a bus problem. If the BD plays fine on the computer it is attached to, the bus/interface is not the problem. I have never tried to play a BD over a network but I do routinely play HD mp4 files across my gig network with no problems. Make sure both computers are indeed talking gig and not 100mb. Also your router may play a big part in the equation. Go in and play with the router settings. Some routers have optimization for video and most have QOS. QOS in theory makes all network traffic run smoother but can limit heavy bandwidth needs. Try toggling QOS and see if it makes a difference.
I have QOS disabled on my router and am able to stream uncompressed BDMV folders from this computer without issue hence thinking it might have something to do with the USB bus, but it may just be a limitation of optical media.

I guess people using NUCs just give up on disc media and use primarily rips instead. My family uses discs enough on the fly that it would impact my families media consumption patterns.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 AM

Hmmm....well one would think that if it works on the local machine, the USB buss would be fast enough but like you say, the BDMV folders stream fine.

Have you tried connecting the BD drive directly to the NUC?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have the NUC yet. I'm trying to plan ahead. Currently I have the family HTPC hidden behind a pullout 42" TV in a custom built cabinet with devices above the screen. I externalized the BD drive for access to watch disc media on the fly while hiding the HTPC case. I'm going to be moving in a year and will probably ditch the cabinet for something less spacious (its 30" deep). I like the HTPC hidden so I thought I could just go small with a NUC and attach it behind the TV. However, I don't have access to playback optical media on the fly that way. I may set the NUC adjacent to the TV so I can use the IR too. I added pics of the current setup. If optical media can't be streamed I may consider a mITX build with room for an optical drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2429-K250.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	192561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2430-K250.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	192665  
post #6 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 09:48 AM

nice setup. Mine is a little different. I have one of the old Samsung DLP tv's that looks like it came off of a spaceship. I have a mid tower HTPC that sits along the wall behind a speaker. It's out of the way but accessible for usb ports/optical media. I like having the power of a full fledged computer too. It is a meager 3.0 mhz quad core with a medium range graphics card. plays everything smoothly and I have the benefit of the PC for other stuff. It also doubles as a file server/backup for the home. The shelves wrap around the tv base nicely and the whole kit is contained in a fairly small footprint.

Reply Home Theater Computers