Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2014, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Show us your old hardware!

Now that there's so much talk about overkill HTPCs, how about some retro stuff?

If you browse around eBay there's a lot of cool hardware to be had for almost nothing.

I bought an HP ProLiant DL385 G2 for £70, that's $117. It's got 16GB of RAM, 6 NICs, 2x Opteron 2.6 GHz dual cores, 4x SAS 146GB hard drives and lights out management. I added a $40 Blu-ray drive so I can use it as a ripper.

Currently running ESXi with 3 VMs for Server 2012R2, Axigen mail server and Sophos UTM.

It turned out to run surprisingly cool and quiet for such an old beast, it's a lot quieter than the PSUs in the Supermicro sitting above it in the rack.

Post your retro gear!
ajhieb likes this.

Last edited by politby; 08-03-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Sadly, I just got rid of my favorite old relic recently.

I used to have an old HP double-wide pedestal server. It was originally a P-60 with a proprietary motherboard, but I managed to find a dual slot-1 board that fit with very few modifications. (well, physically, very few modifications... I had to make a custom power board for it) Installed an AMI MegaRAID 428 and 5 Micropolis 9GB 7200rpm drives in RAID-5. (you can't imagine the noise from those things... they were all LOUD not to mention they didn't support spindle sync, and their spindle speed, and thus the frequency of the noise the generated fluctuated by a few RPM so the constructive/destructive interference ended up with a high pitched whine that would fluctuate in volume every 3-5 seconds. Not something you'd want in your bedroom)

It was my 2nd dual cpu system (I'd had an AST Advantage Dual P133 before that and several after) but that beast was my favorite.

The one pictured isn't mine, but that's what the old gal looked like.

I also had an old DEC Alpha workstation kicking around for a long time. It ran NT 4.0 Workstation like a champ. And it was cool because... um... RISC! (and you AMD fans can thank DEC because it was their EV6 bus that the Athlon processor was based)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	netserver.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	194450  
politby likes this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Love it!
I have a friend who has an actual DECsystem-20, fully operational, in his basement. Unfortunately his power hookup isn't sufficiently fused so he can run it.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post
Love it!
I have a friend who has an actual DECsystem-20, fully operational, in his basement. Unfortunately his power hookup isn't sufficiently fused so he can run it.
Well, I can't top that

It's funny you started this thread though... I was actually thinking along a similar line of nostalgia, pondering a thread along the lines of "I remember when..." to discuss all of the old technology that has come and gone over the decades.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.

Gear in this thread - DL385 by PriceGrabber.com