Powerline / Moca adapter for networking ceton infinitv 6 cable card - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Powerline / Moca adapter for networking ceton infinitv 6 cable card

Hello. I am wanting to run the Ceton Infinitv 6 cable card adapter in my pc. But as I will not be buying a house for 6 - 10 years to do a full house cat-6 install I was wondering about Powerline and MOCA adapters for now.
Are they fast enough? Everything I read states that I need Gigabit for the Cable Card Adapter yet it doesn't seem either Powerline or Moca adapters are that reliable at providing a high enough data transfer rate.
How will powerline adapters affect my electric bill?
Do either of these adapters require a high level of networking knowledge? I have just begun to scratch the surface of running a LAN so I don't know a lot yet.
Does anyone have any experience with these products that could give me further advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 08-03-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon1972 View Post
Hello. I am wanting to run the Ceton Infinitv 6 cable card adapter in my pc. But as I will not be buying a house for 6 - 10 years to do a full house cat-6 install I was wondering about Powerline and MOCA adapters for now.
Are they fast enough? Everything I read states that I need Gigabit for the Cable Card Adapter yet it doesn't seem either Powerline or Moca adapters are that reliable at providing a high enough data transfer rate.
How will powerline adapters affect my electric bill?
Do either of these adapters require a high level of networking knowledge? I have just begun to scratch the surface of running a LAN so I don't know a lot yet.
Does anyone have any experience with these products that could give me further advice?
Are you going to use the Internal PCIe InfiniTV-6 or the Ethernet version?

If you're planning on using the InfiniTV ETH then I would strongly suggest making sure you at least have a standard gigabit ethernet connection between the InfiniTV and your WMC computer. If the other computers are connecting via Powerline or Moca you should be fine. I've tested with 3 extenders using MoCa 1.1 and had no trouble watching Live TV on all three. Any more than that, and you're on your own.

FWIW the Xbox only has a 10/100 ethernet card so it isn't even capable of doing gigabit.

I haven't tried the powerline adapters but I would guess they are similar to the MoCa adapters in that they don't require a high level of network knowledge to install and use.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #3 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Are you going to use the Internal PCIe InfiniTV-6 or the Ethernet version?

If you're planning on using the InfiniTV ETH then I would strongly suggest making sure you at least have a standard gigabit ethernet connection between the InfiniTV and your WMC computer. If the other computers are connecting via Powerline or Moca you should be fine. I've tested with 3 extenders using MoCa 1.1 and had no trouble watching Live TV on all three. Any more than that, and you're on your own.

FWIW the Xbox only has a 10/100 ethernet card so it isn't even capable of doing gigabit.

I haven't tried the powerline adapters but I would guess they are similar to the MoCa adapters in that they don't require a high level of network knowledge to install and use.
Here is a pic of how i want to set it up(I forgot to add the Infini6 eth connecting directly to the Gigabit Switch as well in my pic.) . Refresh my memory. If i have all recordings go on one computer I can only access the restricted recordings on that computer correct? Or can I access them on all computers with WMC?
All my recordings would go on my Living Room and Bedroom HTPC's because I will only be watching off of those. The Media Server is just that. It only holds my media and nothing more. You do not recommend this setup for powerline and MOCA adapters? Also, my setup below WILL get internet capability to all computers, correct?

Last edited by Leon1972; 08-04-2014 at 02:06 AM.
post #4 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Nothing is as reliable and fast (and cheap) as ethernet, so it is advantageous to use it wherever possible.

But several things are going to factor into how all this works.

First and foremost, what type of tuner are you going to be using? If you're using an internal tuner then this sort of setup is more likely to work. If you're using a network tuner, then it might depend on how you plan on connecting the network tuner to your WMC PC(s). Regardless, I would strongly recommend that the tuner (if it's a network tuner) or the PC the tuner is installed in (if it's an internal tuner) be connected via ethernet (not MoCa or PowerLine) If it is connected via MoCa or PowerLine, it may work, but I doubt you'll find anyone that can confirm for sure that it will work that way. I can't remember where, but I seem to recall someone from Ceton suggesting it is better to have the tuner (or PC with the tuner) connected via ethernet.

If you can make that part work, then everything else is much more likely to work.

Number of Extenders you plan on using will factor in as well. And you're correct that protected content recorded on one PC will not be viewable on another (but it is viewable on Extenders)

The age/condition of your coax (for MoCa) or romex (for PowerLine) could also factor in as well. If your residence was particularly old, and had RG-59 coax instead of RG-6 that could be problematic for MoCa or if it was even older and you had knob and tube wiring you might not be able to use PowerLine. But if you live in a moderately modern home then either technology should work.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #5 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nothing is as reliable and fast (and cheap) as ethernet, so it is advantageous to use it wherever possible.

But several things are going to factor into how all this works.

First and foremost, what type of tuner are you going to be using? If you're using an internal tuner then this sort of setup is more likely to work. If you're using a network tuner, then it might depend on how you plan on connecting the network tuner to your WMC PC(s). Regardless, I would strongly recommend that the tuner (if it's a network tuner) or the PC the tuner is installed in (if it's an internal tuner) be connected via ethernet (not MoCa or PowerLine) If it is connected via MoCa or PowerLine, it may work, but I doubt you'll find anyone that can confirm for sure that it will work that way. I can't remember where, but I seem to recall someone from Ceton suggesting it is better to have the tuner (or PC with the tuner) connected via ethernet.

If you can make that part work, then everything else is much more likely to work.

Number of Extenders you plan on using will factor in as well. And you're correct that protected content recorded on one PC will not be viewable on another (but it is viewable on Extenders)

The age/condition of your coax (for MoCa) or romex (for PowerLine) could also factor in as well. If your residence was particularly old, and had RG-59 coax instead of RG-6 that could be problematic for MoCa or if it was even older and you had knob and tube wiring you might not be able to use PowerLine. But if you live in a moderately modern home then either technology should work.
So what do you mean when you keep saying wmc computer? Both of my computers will be running WMC and doing recordings as I have two HTPC's.
And I am using the network tuner card. Ideally I would like to run the tuner card to the gigabit switch then run the two WMC Computers through the moca. I saw something about MoCa 2.0 recently so I was thinking that may work.

Last edited by Leon1972; 08-04-2014 at 04:36 AM.
post #6 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Is MoCA 2.0 adapters even exist for sale? They have been talked about for years and I thought it would be vaporware.
What you should do in your case here is to use one PC for WMC server and couple of WMC extenders over MoCA or powerline. Keep the traffic of tuner and recording PC on the hardwired Gigabit LAN. This will work quite well (I have this kind of setup). If you are going to use multiple PCs, not only you can't share the recordings of protected channels, the networking is probably not reliable enough for all the traffic. As always, YMMV.

IMO, WMC extenders are cheaper and easier to use than HTPCs in this use case.
post #7 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Is MoCA 2.0 adapters even exist for sale? They have been talked about for years and I thought it would be vaporware.
What you should do in your case here is to use one PC for WMC server and couple of WMC extenders over MoCA or powerline. Keep the traffic of tuner and recording PC on the hardwired Gigabit LAN. This will work quite well (I have this kind of setup). If you are going to use multiple PCs, not only you can't share the recordings of protected channels, the networking is probably not reliable enough for all the traffic. As always, YMMV.

IMO, WMC extenders are cheaper and easier to use than HTPCs in this use case.
The HTPC's are not just for cable. I run all my movies off plex media server.
post #8 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As people have said, what you want to do is have a wired ethernet connection to the WMC machine... in other words with your diagram where the server is which will do all the recording of shows (or at least a wired connection to one of the other locations and have that be the main system). MoCA is good enough for a few streams for live tv or something that is already recorded but not for all 6 streams and will fair better than powerline. Realistically you would be limited to 100Mbps over MoCA in that setup (unless you somehow find a MoCA 2 bridge) and probably closer to 80Mbps and you want at bare minimum 150Mbps for 6 streams... the problem with power line is that quality is more important than speed and though it may sustain > 200Mbps in file transfers, it will behave more like it is running under "30" as far as quality of the stream goes... the same thing often happens with wifi.

Who is your provider and how much will be protected? If you are on verizon or comcast, it won't really matter that much as nothing but premiums are protected. If you are on TWC, BH, or Cox, you can almost be assured that everything but locals is protected in which case, you would want extenders at the remote locations... If you are on windows 8, only the xbox360 will function easily as an extender (without using a phone/tablet to provide a UI)... If you are on windows 7, there are more choices available for extenders. If you are on Charter, it varies too much from market to market as to what they protect, Some protect all but locals, some protect only HD and some protect only premiums... in some cases those areas that went under their digital conversion have improved on what is protected or not but whether that remains, remains to be seen.

I will add that in one of my installs, the diagram is very similar but the tuner is moved to one of the WMC Machine's locations and uses a MoCA connection back to the file server, a few PCs and some extenders. but most of the traffic never leaves the room of the main HTPC.

Last edited by signcarver; 08-04-2014 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Added information on one of my MoCA installations
post #9 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Here is a pic of how i want to set it up(I forgot to add the Infini6 eth connecting directly to the Gigabit Switch as well in my pic.) . Refresh my memory. If i have all recordings go on one computer I can only access the restricted recordings on that computer correct? Or can I access them on all computers with WMC?
All my recordings would go on my Living Room and Bedroom HTPC's because I will only be watching off of those. The Media Server is just that. It only holds my media and nothing more. You do not recommend this setup for powerline and MOCA adapters? Also, my setup below WILL get internet capability to all computers, correct?
If the ETH is going to be connected to the gigabit Switch via Ethernet and HTPC is connected to it as well, then you are fine.

With only 2 extenders on MoCA (not MOCHA in your pic, that's a drink!) you will be fine.

Copy protected recordings will only be playable on the machine they were recorded on or the extenders connected to that machine.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #10 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 228
OP uses no extenders nor centeral recording PCs. All his HTPCs are the ones to watch or recording TVs and connect via MoCA.
post #11 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My point is he did mention protection and if worried about that, should really be thinking about getting extenders.

The current MoCA connections won't do 6 streams from 1 location most only have a 100Mbit connection but even those with gigabit connections still will be limited. In theory 240Mbps-270Mbps can be obtained throughout the system but that will generally be bidirectional or multi-node speed not one node to the other (until MoCA 2.0 is easily available... most devices produced have been limited to MSOs) I have used netgear, motorola, actiontec, and wi3 adapters and generally the most you can hope for is 80-85Mbps in any one direction and 160Mbps bidirectional (point A to point B, Point B to point A, throw in point C you might get a little more total but usually not until you add point D). The most HD streams from a tuner you should probably hope to achieve from a single location is 4 though you might get 5 with how much some systems compress the signal.

If the OP is unwilling to accept the extender model, he should decide which HTPC will need to record the most simultaneous streams and used more often and locate the tuner there with a switch connecting the HTPC, tuner, and MoCA adapter, maybe even the smart tv, bluray player, roku, ps3, xbox, etc. (in this case, a cable signal will also have to be there which I am assuming will be because of MoCA but need to mention it as sometimes with more providers encrypting locals some may choose to have the cable signal end in the wiring closet/server room which would provide an isolated MoCA network that can even use the "DECA" frequencies so I shouldn't assume that there will be a cable signal there). Usually this isn't a problem as the switch and tuner are relatively small and unobtrusive... if a TA is also required, all bets are off as if one can make this look attractive. By moving the tuner to either room, under most circumstances MoCA will work fine

The primary advantage of extenders is that they will play your protected content at any location, a secondary advantage, but probably less important with 6 tuners for most people, is that if both rooms are watching the same live show they will only be using one tuner.
post #12 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post
As people have said, what you want to do is have a wired ethernet connection to the WMC machine... in other words with your diagram where the server is which will do all the recording of shows (or at least a wired connection to one of the other locations and have that be the main system). MoCA is good enough for a few streams for live tv or something that is already recorded but not for all 6 streams and will fair better than powerline. Realistically you would be limited to 100Mbps over MoCA in that setup (unless you somehow find a MoCA 2 bridge) and probably closer to 80Mbps and you want at bare minimum 150Mbps for 6 streams... the problem with power line is that quality is more important than speed and though it may sustain > 200Mbps in file transfers, it will behave more like it is running under "30" as far as quality of the stream goes... the same thing often happens with wifi.

Who is your provider and how much will be protected? If you are on verizon or comcast, it won't really matter that much as nothing but premiums are protected. If you are on TWC, BH, or Cox, you can almost be assured that everything but locals is protected in which case, you would want extenders at the remote locations... If you are on windows 8, only the xbox360 will function easily as an extender (without using a phone/tablet to provide a UI)... If you are on windows 7, there are more choices available for extenders. If you are on Charter, it varies too much from market to market as to what they protect, Some protect all but locals, some protect only HD and some protect only premiums... in some cases those areas that went under their digital conversion have improved on what is protected or not but whether that remains, remains to be seen.

I will add that in one of my installs, the diagram is very similar but the tuner is moved to one of the WMC Machine's locations and uses a MoCA connection back to the file server, a few PCs and some extenders. but most of the traffic never leaves the room of the main HTPC.
How will extenders help with protected content? I read that ONLY the origional WMC recording machine can access protected content, or does this apply only if I use a non infinitv media extender such as an xbox 360?

Last edited by Leon1972; 08-04-2014 at 01:14 PM.
post #13 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
How will extenders help with protected content? I read that ONLY the origional WMC recording machine can access protected content, or does this apply only if I use a non infinitv media extender such as an xbox 360?
Only the original recording machine, or WMC extenders (of any type - but only WMC extenders) paired up to the original recording machine, can playback protected content.
post #14 of 44 Old 08-04-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 128
If I'm seeing the photo correctly (blurry), looks like he's planning on connecting TWO devices to one MOCA adaptor. From the adaptors I've seen, you can only connect one device to each adaptor.

I sleep in a converted garage. When I set up our network, I used two MOCA adaptors to extend the network out to the garage. I have one network tuner set up in the main house, and a second network tuner set up in the garage. The WMC in the house regularly records from either tuner without issues. I.e. sometimes it's recording from the tuner connected to the network through the ethernet cable, and sometimes through the MOCA adaptors.

File transfer speeds from the garage typically hit 100 - 110Mbps (shown in the transfer window as 10 - 11).

As to the extenders, if you record a protected show on PC1, that show can not be played back via PC2. If you want to play that recording at any other location other than PC1, you will have to use an extender.

You can also try a Roku and Media Browser, but I don't think it would play protected recordings (though it WILL play unprotected recordings, live TV, and any movies you have on your server).
post #15 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
If I'm seeing the photo correctly (blurry), looks like he's planning on connecting TWO devices to one MOCA adaptor. From the adaptors I've seen, you can only connect one device to each adaptor.

I sleep in a converted garage. When I set up our network, I used two MOCA adaptors to extend the network out to the garage. I have one network tuner set up in the main house, and a second network tuner set up in the garage. The WMC in the house regularly records from either tuner without issues. I.e. sometimes it's recording from the tuner connected to the network through the ethernet cable, and sometimes through the MOCA adaptors.

File transfer speeds from the garage typically hit 100 - 110Mbps (shown in the transfer window as 10 - 11).

As to the extenders, if you record a protected show on PC1, that show can not be played back via PC2. If you want to play that recording at any other location other than PC1, you will have to use an extender.

You can also try a Roku and Media Browser, but I don't think it would play protected recordings (though it WILL play unprotected recordings, live TV, and any movies you have on your server).
That is actually one of the things I was wondering about. I will be running my infinitv6 directly to the gigabit switch. Then I will run my media server directly to the gigabit switch as well. My two media extenders will go to the gigabit switch through MoCa adapters. Will I need to run a 1 for 1 MoCa adapter to device connection or one MoCa adapter on the switch side and one for each extender?
Also I want to make sure I have this correct. I don't have to use the infinitv wmc media extenders to play protected content? I can use any wmc media extender to accomplish this?
Does the wmc media extender have to be connected to a computer or is it a standalone product like a ATV or a Roku?
post #16 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is actually one of the things I was wondering about. I will be running my infinitv6 directly to the gigabit switch. Then I will run my media server directly to the gigabit switch as well. My two media extenders will go to the gigabit switch through MoCa adapters. Will I need to run a 1 for 1 MoCa adapter to device connection or one MoCa adapter on the switch side and one for each extender?
With the InfiniTV6 connected directly to your gigabit switch, that should make for a workable solution. You'll need one MoCa adapter connected to your switch and you'll need an adapter at each extender/computer/device you want connected to your network via MoCa. In your diagram above you would need 3 MoCa adapters in total. One at the switch, one in the bedroom, and one in the living room.

Quote:
Also I want to make sure I have this correct. I don't have to use the infinitv wmc media extenders to play protected content? I can use any wmc media extender to accomplish this?
Does the wmc media extender have to be connected to a computer or is it a standalone product like a ATV or a Roku?
You can use any WMC extender you'd like, however the only ones you can get new are the XBox-360 and the Ceton Echo. Support for the Echo seems sketchy at this point and there are a lot of issues with playing stored content (like the content on your media server) so I would recommend an X-Box. It's also the only extender that supports Windows 8. You will need a PC on the network somewhere running Windows Media Center for the Extenders to connect to. It can be connected to one of your TVs but it doesn't have to be.

Based on your diagram I would recommend the following:

If your media server is running Windows 7, I would use that as your WMC computer. Configure it to use the tuners, and just use extenders at your TV locations.

If your media server doesn't run Windows 7, then I would use one of your HTPCs as the WMC computer and use an Extender on the other TV(s)

The first option is preferable because ideally you want the computer that is actually using the tuners, to be connected directly to your gigabit switch. Since it is acting as a DVR it could be using all 6 tuners at once. The traffic generated by 6 network tuners wouldn't be a problem for a gigabit network, but I'm not sure if MoCa (or Deca, or powerline or Wifi) could handle it well. In the first option, all of the traffic between the tuner and the WMC PC stays on the gigabit switch. Even if you were recording 6 shows at once, since the Extenders can only watch 1 show at a time, you would only have traffic for 1 or 2 tuners on the MoCa portion of your network (assuming you're using 2 extenders) That shouldn't be a problem for a MoCa network. But if you went with the latter scenario and you were recording 6 shows at once you'd have 6 (not just one or two) tuner's worth of traffic on your MoCa network, which might not work so well.

post #17 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Just for reference, an average HD cable stream from Comcast never tops 20Mbps and often ends up in the 13-16 range with a few exceptions

It's likely that you will never use 6 at a time anyway unless you are running some type of sports bar, but if you want to 150Mbps should take care of protocol overhead, miscellaneous extra devices on the switch, and 6 streams

I don't know much about theoretical and actual speeds of MoCA or powerline these days, but I would hope they could deliver that number since modern consumer wireless can with proper hardware and conditions
post #18 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

post #19 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I use a blend of MOCA (v2), powerline (500mps), 100mbps ethernet, and 1gbps ethernet.

Wifi doesn't work well at all for media extenders or anything where you need reliable, low-latency connections.

Everywhere I use ethernet (100mbps or 1gbps) work great. All the Moca and poweline stuff is higher latency and flaky, and I wish I had ethernet.

My recommendation is to run ethernet whenever possible.
post #20 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
I use a blend of MOCA (v2), powerline (500mps), 100mbps ethernet, and 1gbps ethernet.

Wifi doesn't work well at all for media extenders or anything where you need reliable, low-latency connections.

Everywhere I use ethernet (100mbps or 1gbps) work great. All the Moca and poweline stuff is higher latency and flaky, and I wish I had ethernet.

My recommendation is to run ethernet whenever possible.
Where can I get MoCa v2? I can't seem to find it anywhere? Is this the same as MoCa 2.0?
post #21 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Just for reference, an average HD cable stream from Comcast never tops 20Mbps and often ends up in the 13-16 range with a few exceptions

It's likely that you will never use 6 at a time anyway unless you are running some type of sports bar, but if you want to 150Mbps should take care of protocol overhead, miscellaneous extra devices on the switch, and 6 streams

I don't know much about theoretical and actual speeds of MoCA or powerline these days, but I would hope they could deliver that number since modern consumer wireless can with proper hardware and conditions
Using all six tuners at once isn't unheard of especially if you're padding the beginning/end of your recordings. 3 shows at 8:00pm and 3 shows at 9:00pm will get all 6 tuners running at once. It's not necessarily common, but it isn't unheard of either.

Leon, you might want to skip the next few paragraphs.

Moca 1.1 has a total network throughput of 270Mbps, but all of the MoCa bridges I've encountered were only 100 Base-T on the Ethernet side, so that's the most you can hope for on any one connection. (you'd need multiple simultaneous connections to get an aggregate approaching the theoretical limit... 6 nodes if my math is right at this unholy hour.)

Another thing to consider is how WMC and the Tuner handle sending the video stream to the extender. I'm only speculating on this part, but I have a hunch that the tuners aren't broadcasting/multicasting, which means when you are watching live TV on an extender, the stream is going to the WMC machine (for buffering and/or recording) then the WMC computer is retransmitting the video stream to the extender, which effective doubles the effective traffic for that tuner on the MoCa network (if everything is connected as described in my 2nd scenario above)

I do agree that for typical use either scenario should work, but for the sake of being thorough, I don't want to claim the second scenario will work because there are definitely usage cases where it wouldn't. (even with conservative bandwidth estimates from the Cable co, and not all tuners in use)

What it boils down to is MoCa is acceptable in general if you only have a couple of tuners, but once you get into the 4-6 tuner range, I wouldn't recommend it for anything except Extenders.

post #22 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Where can I get MoCa v2? I can't seem to find it anywhere? Is this the same as MoCa 2.0?
I suspect he's using the Netgear model MCA1001v2 which is actually a Moca 1.1 device.

I agree that finding MoCa 2.0 equipment is proving to be difficult. (at least it was last time I searched in earnest, and moments ago with a cursory google search)

Last edited by ajhieb; 08-05-2014 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Corrected to proper MoCa version.
post #23 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Maybe it was mca1001v2.

BTW, most of my moca stuff has started off working well, then died after a couple years. None of my powerline stuff has died.
post #24 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Another thing to consider is how WMC and the Tuner handle sending the video stream to the extender. I'm only speculating on this part, but I have a hunch that the tuners aren't broadcasting/multicasting, which means when you are watching live TV on an extender, the stream is going to the WMC machine (for buffering and/or recording) then the WMC computer is retransmitting the video stream to the extender, which effective doubles the effective traffic for that tuner on the MoCa network
I don't even watch six shows a week though two of my shows air 4x per week

I am also over 90% certain that your hunch is correct in the scenario above. Otherwise I can't see how both wmc and one of its extenders can use the same exact tuner ( one of the six ) when tuned to the same channel

Though nobody is asking, that is also how it would work in serverwmc which makes similar use of WMC's ehrec service and transmuxes (not remux since it's rt ) the buffer to ts. In the end traffic from the tuner had to go towards WMC then back to the extender

In the scenario the op has diagrammed . . . I'd agree that 6 at once will probably not work in many scenarios without gigabit, though avoiding extenders should cut the traffic in half
ajhieb likes this.
post #25 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

So I'm having trouble discerning the difference between all these MoCa devices and what I actually need. I need to run two computers through MoCa.
It seems I need a MoCa router for the Ethernet switch side and two adapters for the computer sides.
I am having trouble finding reviews on different MoCa devices and on how it all works. Can anyone point me to any good articles?
post #26 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Can all media center extenders access live tv as we'll?
Can they access the channel guide?
post #27 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So I'm having trouble discerning the difference between all these MoCa devices and what I actually need. I need to run two computers through MoCa.
It seems I need a MoCa router for the Ethernet switch side and two adapters for the computer sides.
I am having trouble finding reviews on different MoCa devices and on how it all works. Can anyone point me to any good articles?
The only MoCa router that was ever in service (that I'm aware of) was the Actiontek MI424WR also known as "The FIOS router." I happen to have one, but you don't need a MoCa router.

You need 3 MoCa adapters (also called bridges)

You'll need one to connect to your gigabit switch. Then you'll need one at each location you want to get network connectivity to. Based on your diagram above, that would be one more for the Living Room and another for the Bedroom.

You could get something like the Netgear model linked to above, or you could get an Actiontek model like I use. (can be bought individually or in pairs, but they are much cheaper by the pair)

post #28 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can all media center extenders access live tv as we'll?
Can they access the channel guide?
Mostly, and yes.

Some older (discontinued) Extenders don't support H.264 content and some cable providers have started encoding some channels with H.264.

But if you get a new extender, the answer to both questions is "yes."

post #29 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mostly, and yes.

Some older (discontinued) Extenders don't support H.264 content and some cable providers have started encoding some channels with H.264.

But if you get a new extender, the answer to both questions is "yes."
The only extenders I can find are the echo and the xbox360. I already run plex connect on a jb atv for the bedroom and plex on a htpc on my living room tv.
Is there a cheaper solution that will work for me instead of purchasing two xbox 360?
post #30 of 44 Old 08-05-2014, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

This is how I am envisioning my full network to make this work. Is this correct?
Also, will my PC's be capable of accessing the internet with this routing scheme?
I will also be running a second internet device in both the bedroom and the living room. They will never both run simultaneously. What I want to know is can I run a switch to the MoCa extender then to the rooms other devices or will that not work? this is a budget built build and I think another 120 bucks will break the wife factor.

Last edited by Leon1972; 08-05-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Reply Home Theater Computers
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page