Converting Digital to Analog for Zone 2 on Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-05-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Converting Digital to Analog for Zone 2 on Receiver

I'm trying to convert my digital (HDMI) audio signal to analog so that I can play it through Zone 2 on my Denon AVR-1713. I'm wondering if I could use something as simple as:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC8...0.html?tp=2001

and split the signal from my front L/R and loop it back into analog for zone 2. Would this work? Do you think there would be a time delay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 386
The line level converter shouldn't introduce any delay as it is a passive component. I don't see why it wouldn't work. If there is a delay it would have been introduced by the receiver, and even if there is, would it be discernible in Zone 2? (ie is Zone2 somehow getting video that needs to be synced with the audio or are the two zones in close enough proximity that it will cause an Echo between the two?)

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-25-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
The line level converter shouldn't introduce any delay as it is a passive component. I don't see why it wouldn't work. If there is a delay it would have been introduced by the receiver, and even if there is, would it be discernible in Zone 2? (ie is Zone2 somehow getting video that needs to be synced with the audio or are the two zones in close enough proximity that it will cause an Echo between the two?)
Zone 2 is my kitchen area which is adjacent to my TV area, so you can definitely notice the delay - especially if its severe. Upon further consideration, if I connect the F L/R speakers to the zone 2 inputs, I will probably get almost no voices when watching TV in zone 2 since most will come out of the center channel.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-25-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotia View Post
Zone 2 is my kitchen area which is adjacent to my TV area, so you can definitely notice the delay - especially if its severe. Upon further consideration, if I connect the F L/R speakers to the zone 2 inputs, I will probably get almost no voices when watching TV in zone 2 since most will come out of the center channel.
If you feel ambitious with a fairly basic electronics project, you should be able to keep discrete left and right channels and also combine the center with both L&R to get better results. a 3rd converter to line level and a couple of line level isolation transformers should do the trick.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-27-2014, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is your source? All of my components (BluRay player, AppleTV, STB) all have both digital and analog output ports which are both hot at the same time. I've just hooked them up in parallel and can use the analog feature of my Zone 2 in my Pioneer receiver.

HB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Howie: "I think my screen may be TOO big."
Norm: "Screens are like breast implants..."
post #6 of 9 Old 09-09-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
If you feel ambitious with a fairly basic electronics project, you should be able to keep discrete left and right channels and also combine the center with both L&R to get better results. a 3rd converter to line level and a couple of line level isolation transformers should do the trick.
This sounds interesting - do you have any idea where I can start figuring out how to do this?
post #7 of 9 Old 09-09-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotia View Post
This sounds interesting - do you have any idea where I can start figuring out how to do this?
The first few schematics I dug up were sans iso transformers, but the net result should be the same.

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

What you're effective looking for is a pair of stereo to mono summing circuits...

The 1st should sum the line level Left and Center channels, and the the 2nd should sum Right and Center channels.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I don't think I understand why you need to do this.... I thought that receiver was able to output a digital input to zone 2 as long as it was the zone 1 selected input? I wouldn't recommend looping the channels back into the receiver through a line-level converter, for many reasons. Beyond the problems with loosing channel information, it links the two zone's volumes.

That said, if your receiver doesn't downmix the zone 1 digital input to zone 2 by itself, I'd recommend plugging the analog outputs of your zone 1 sources into the receiver. It's a pain, but it's the best way to do it.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-11-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
it links the two zone's volumes.
That hadn't occurred to me. Good point.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page