post #1 of 8 Old 08-06-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
diffaculty initialize a disk

having diffaculty installing bare HDD inside a external enclosure

I've gotten to step 3 when I click unallocated region the new volume is'nt highlighted so I can't use the wizard.

Thanks for any help STB

1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
  3. Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.
  4. In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.
  5. Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.
  6. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.
<LI class=step>
  1. In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
  2. If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format this volume, and then click Next.
  • To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.
  1. Review your choices, and then click Finish.
edit I've also tryed this
right click my computer
manage
disk managemnet

I get a message
you must initialize a disk before logical disk manager can access it

there are 2 choices MBR master boot record
and GPT guid partition table

I tryed both and get this message
the media is write protected

edit again in disk management there's a black horizontal bar in the unallocated area there are diaangle lines and the drives size of 1862.36 is being displayed.

I'm thinking this HDD may need to be formatted because in disk management the file sys. is RAW not NFTS like my other HDDs.

edit I checked the mass USB storage device's driver and it has the latest drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newhdd.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	200417  

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700

Last edited by stevethebrain; 08-06-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-06-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
I don't understand how you have so many of these strange PC problems.

USE GTP and initialize. Then format it. Are you running it directly from a sata port ?
bryansj likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 8 Old 08-06-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
I tryed both and get this message
Some external enclosures have a switch/jumper/setting to write-protect the drive. Check and see if that is enabled on your enclosure.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-06-2014, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I don't understand how you have so many of these strange PC problems.

USE GTP and initialize. Then format it. Are you running it directly from a sata port ?
when I try
GPT guid partition table I get this message

I have it connected though a USB port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
Some external enclosures have a switch/jumper/setting to write-protect the drive. Check and see if that is enabled on your enclosure.
I'm reusing a Western Digital MY book external enclosure
which is a prebuilt type, how would I check for
switch/jumper/settings?

I also try to power down the HDD then restart the PC and then power up the HDD still won't be reconized.

edit
I also tried suggestion 1,2 and on three I did’nt seeanything after HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\

· Suggestion3: Delete the USB filter drivers

a.ClicktheStartButton, type regedit in theStart Search box andthen press Enter.

b.Navigateto the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

c.Rightclick the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, chooseExport,select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name.Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and namedbackup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking thebackup.reg file.

d.Highlightthis key {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} on the right pane, and thencheck ifUpperfiltersand Lowerfiltersvalue are present. If so, right click on the values and selectDeleteto remove them.

here I had no values

e.Restartthe computer.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/2b069948-82e9-49ef-bbb7-e44ec7bfebdb/forum-faq-external-usb-drive-error-you-must-initialize-the-disk-before-logical-disk-manager-can?forum=w7itprohardware

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700

Last edited by stevethebrain; 08-06-2014 at 07:07 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-07-2014, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
I have no idea on that particular enclosure. Since it was an enclosure specifically built for a particular line of drives it is less likely that it has the write protect option. (but you still might want to check with WD to verify)

What was the size of the drive that was originally in the enclosure? What size drive do you have in it now? Some drive enclosures that come bundled with large drives have some additional circutry to allow the drive to be seen at it's full size. It's also possible that isn't compatible with the drive you've installed in it.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Have you tried to format the MBR of the drive?

I have had to do this a couple of times with Linux, although I think you can also do this from a DOS prompt, I have only used Linux before...

You can use a GParted live disk if you don't want to install an entire Linux system just because of this...
post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
First thing I would do is install it directly to the PC skipping the external enclosure and see if it works. As far of write protected I have run across this before (obviously based on the state of the drive) and this has worked via DOS... similar URL... can't find the one I have used.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/disab...ive-54089.html

Last edited by Charles R; 08-07-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-09-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ended up connecting directly to a SATA port and the drive is fine.

evedentally the USB interface built into the WD enclosure will only surport a 1TB HDD (which is what came w/ the enclosure) I thought I could use a 2TB in this enclosure since in disk management the 2TB of space was reconizned.

I reinstalled the 1TB in the enclosure and it's working fine.

The drive doe's get hot inside this enclosure so I'm planning to add a USB powered 80mm fan.

I'm planning on using this drive just for ripped DVD's so it won't be powered on for extended periods of time.
STB

Reply Home Theater Computers