Cable Modem Hook Up Question. - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Cable Modem Hook Up Question.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 09:17 AM 08-08-2014
First off let me start with a clarification that I pay for my Cable internet service.

I just moved and the cable company won't be here until sometime Sunday morning to remove the cap and hook me up.

I am paying the bill and want it hooked up now but cannot get that pesky cap off the cable feed at the street. Any suggestions on how to do it?

oman321's Avatar oman321 10:01 AM 08-08-2014
What cap? A cap on the coax connection on a pole or underground cable that leads into your home? Got a pic?
hammerdwn's Avatar hammerdwn 10:15 AM 08-08-2014
I'd bet even if you get it all connected yourself that it wouldn't work until "mr cable" comes to your home, calls into his central office, performs activation/authorization/tune/test... It would pure luck if the line were active and levels tuned properly, then there is authorization...
blueiedgod's Avatar blueiedgod 10:33 AM 08-08-2014
Even if you were able to remove the cap and connect the wires, you won't be able to provision the modem, as their records will show that line is still deactivated.

Address the issue of your paying for not having service. They will give you credit for the days you were not able to use the service.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 12:00 PM 08-08-2014
My modem is provisioned..
Attached: 20140808_072117.jpg (131.9 KB)  20140808_072045.jpg (167.2 KB) 
hammerdwn's Avatar hammerdwn 12:58 PM 08-08-2014
ikkuranus's Avatar ikkuranus 01:40 AM 08-09-2014
I remember back in the early 2000s you could move a cable modem from one house to another that currently has cable tv service without a tech doing anything. I tried doing that just a few months ago and it no longer works. Both times were with Timewarner cable.
BPTTV's Avatar BPTTV 01:45 AM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post
I remember back in the early 2000s you could move a cable modem from one house to another that currently has cable tv service without a tech doing anything. I tried doing that just a few months ago and it no longer works. Both times were with Timewarner cable.
I have not heard of any changes preventing such from still happening...maybe the modem needed resetting or a firmware upgrade? I hate dealing with cable companies anyway..

Dropped down to see the pics on the earlier posts...They sometimes go out and disconnect and cover/cap the drop to prevent free reception of the analog signals for basic cable. Hope they get you connected soon.
ikkuranus's Avatar ikkuranus 01:48 AM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTTV View Post
I have not heard of any changes preventing such from still happening...maybe the modem needed resetting or a firmware upgrade? I hate dealing with cable companies anyway..
To be fair I didn't actually verify the cable outlet was actually connected at the splitter so anything is possible. I just assumed it was because a rep told me you couldn't try at another house and that it wouldn't work if you did.

So assuming that outlet wasn't active that would make sense.
Dark_Slayer's Avatar Dark_Slayer 06:30 AM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
My modem is provisioned..
Have you tried your modem? Connect it to where you logically think someone would have had it setup previously (even after a rep comes to "tune" signals and call up the activation line you won't be able to move a modem to 8 different outlets and have it work in each one) Assuming you still have the surfboard from some time back, you can connect it to some different drops around your house along with a laptop directly connected to it (cat). Then ping 192.168.100.1 to see the signals you are getting at that drop

The pictures you took look like the trap filters they use to install for preventing unfiltered qam channels (a relic these days with cablecard requirements on everything)

If your local office has already completed your account transfer everything could already work at the moment, depending on how much you can troubleshoot signal tuning to your different drops or if you happen to find whichever ones are tuned already (I don't know how to do this part myself, but have always wondered what the tech does during this time)
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 06:47 PM 08-13-2014
My Internet is working fine. Apparently the connection needed to be made in a different little box that was hidden in the bushes of my neighbor's yard. The pull to my house is RG11, a nice fat cable amd I'm getting 10ms latency with speeds of about 105Mbps down and 6Mbps up. Wishing Charter would offer a bit more on the upstrem side though.
blueiedgod's Avatar blueiedgod 11:43 AM 08-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post
My guess is that back in the early days of "high speed internet" the whole cable network was distributed over copper with signal boosters along the way.

Time Warner claims that they have "fiber to the neighborhood" and then deliver over copper to the houses.

If that is true, I would imagine that there is some sort of ONT box, like Verizon FiOS' but with more outputs and more power somewhere in the centralized location in one neighborhood. So, if you were to move equipment within the area served by this ONT, aka "node" you would be fine, but if were to move equipment to an area served by a different ONT, even across the street, it would not work.

I think Verizon uses similar approach in Multi-Apartment buildings in NYC, they have a central ONT in the basement, and then deliver over copper to individual apartments. Someone who has FiOS in NYC or who lives in an large multi-apartment building may be able to confirm.
ikkuranus's Avatar ikkuranus 12:36 PM 08-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post
My guess is that back in the early days of "high speed internet" the whole cable network was distributed over copper with signal boosters along the way.

Time Warner claims that they have "fiber to the neighborhood" and then deliver over copper to the houses.

If that is true, I would imagine that there is some sort of ONT box, like Verizon FiOS' but with more outputs and more power somewhere in the centralized location in one neighborhood. So, if you were to move equipment within the area served by this ONT, aka "node" you would be fine, but if were to move equipment to an area served by a different ONT, even across the street, it would not work.

I think Verizon uses similar approach in Multi-Apartment buildings in NYC, they have a central ONT in the basement, and then deliver over copper to individual apartments. Someone who has FiOS in NYC or who lives in an large multi-apartment building may be able to confirm.
Actually I remember Timewarner upgraded the area to fiber just prior to announcing cable internet service back then. My example literally was across the street the first time (worked) and this time it's between 2 adjacent units in a 3 unit condo (didn't work).
Up
Mobile  Desktop