Upgrade Video Card, Choppy MPC-HC w/ 720p - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upgrade Video Card, Choppy MPC-HC w/ 720p

A little background: Used the "Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide" and had 1080p and 720p material streaming and playing locally flawlessly. The resolution is by default at 1920 x 1080 with a 23 Hz refresh rate. Basic system specs is are: i7, Radeon HD 7700, Windows 7.

With the upgraded video card, now I'm getting choppy 720p MKV playback in fullscreen mode (not in windowed), with default resolution (1920 x 1080, 23 Hz). I can eliminate the fullscreen stuttering if I manually change the resolution to 1280 x 720, 23 Hz, use madVR to change the resolution, or the settings under "image doubling" (with 1920 x 1080, 23 Hz).

Since the specs remained the same, with only a beefier graphics card, it should have been able to handle all the material fine as before. I'm a bit puzzled to why I'm getting lag now with 720p MKVs with the new video card, and identical settings.

Any input would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Post the settings you are using for image doubling and what render time you get. I had a 7770, couldn't do more than 32 neurons on 720p24 without stuttering.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 569
What was your original video card? If it wasn't an AMD card it is likely that your hardware decoder was set to CUDA or QuickSync. Those aren't going to work very well with an AMD card (as it doesn't support either) so I suspect it will just default to software rendering which might explain the poor performance.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

i7 will eat 720p up like a piece of cake. My G1620 plays full blu-rays at 40%, and 720p encodes at 15-20% I'd recommend software decoding anyways because otherwise GPU overclock won't work. That's not the issue, but he's going to have to post a lot more info if he wants us to help.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
i7 will eat 720p up like a piece of cake. My G1620 plays full blu-rays at 40%, and 720p encodes at 15-20% I'd recommend software decoding anyways because otherwise GPU overclock won't work. That's not the issue, but he's going to have to post a lot more info if he wants us to help.
Yes, with default rendering pipeline an i7 should handle 720p video just fine. But wen you add MadVR into the equation it gets a little more iffy. The fact that plays fine in windowed mode and at it's native resolution, but not at full screen makes me suspect that MadVR doesn't like the current rendering setup. And I don't know for sure what LAV will do when you set it to CUDA or QuickSync when the appropriate hardware isn't present. Defaulting to software decoding was just a guess.

Having said that, assuming the OP wants to stay true to the Advanced Setup guide, and assuming he's changed brands of video cards, regardless of whether or not it is the root cause of his problems, he'll still want to update to the appropriate decoder.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

LAV won't let you select QuickSync or CUDU if it's not an option on your card, it's greyed out. I'm assuming it plays fine at 720p because madVR isn't doing upscaling, the tv is, thus lower GPU resources are used. He's probably trying to do too much with the card, too high NNEDI3 settings probably. Render time needs to be under 41.71ms for 23hz content.

If he has an i7 I'd recommend software decoding regardless. Less issues and better picture quality (compared to dxva2).

Last edited by StinDaWg; 08-09-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LAV won't let you select QuickSync or CUDU if it's not an option on your card, it's greyed out. I'm assuming it plays fine at 720p because madVR isn't doing upscaling, the tv is, thus lower GPU resources are used. He's probably trying to do too much with the card, too high NNEDI3 settings probably. Render time needs to be under 41.71ms for 23hz content.

If he has an i7 I'd recommend software decoding regardless. Less issues and better picture quality (compared to dxva2).
With all due respect, that's incorrect.

That's MPC-HC on my system, just moments ago, and unless somebody sneaked an NVIDIA card in my PC under cover of darkness, it absolutely will let you select a decoder even if it is unsupported. Granted on mine it is still showing QuickSync as the active decoder, but it allowed me to select (and save) the CUDA option. But in the particular scenario I described, he wouldn't have chosen an unsupported option, as it would have been it would have been a valid selection on his original setup. The point being if you've changed hardware you need to update your settings. If he was using an AMD card in both instances then obviously my point is moot, but if he switched brands, and if he followed the MPC-HC advanced setup guide (as he said he did) then he will need to update his settings, regardless if that is the root cause of his particular problem or not.

That said, your suggestion that his settings in MadVR are set to high, is certainly a valid possibility also. I've never suggested otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cuda.png
Views:	162
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	204138  

Old 08-09-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is LAV with my AMD 7850. CUVID is "not available", and it defaults back to software decoding if you select it. The decoding options are greyed out.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

You're right. If he had it set to CUDA or QuickSync before he changed video cards, he should just leave it.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
You're right. If he had it set to CUDA or QuickSync before he changed video cards, he should just leave it.
No, you're trying to make the point that not changing it can somehow cause the decoding to screw up, I'm telling you that even set to the "wrong" setting, it will just use software decoding, which is perfectly fine with his i7. I'm not saying he should leave it on CUDA if he no longer has an Nvidia card, I'm saying that practically speaking it makes no difference if he did. The problem lies elsewhere.

Last edited by StinDaWg; 08-09-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, you're trying to make the point that not changing it can somehow cause the decoding to screw up, I'm telling you that even set to the "wrong" setting, it will just use software decoding, which is perfectly fine with his i7. I'm not saying he should leave it on CUDA if he no longer has an Nvidia card, I'm saying that practically speaking it makes no difference if he did.
Well, actually the point you made was that it couldn't be set to the wrong setting (which wasn't correct) You then changed to "it defaults to software" (which is what I said in my original post to begin with)

I've already acknowledged that the decoder setting might not be the cause of the problem, but should still be addressed nonetheless, so why do you want to continue to belabor the point? If you're not trying to get him to leave that setting alone, why are are you so vehemently trying to defend the stance that the setting should be fine as is?

Old 08-09-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

God, you are the most argumentative person on this forum. I'll just wait for him to reply to this thread as we are going around in circles about nothing.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 35
That CPU eats decoding for breakfast. Hell, most CPUs today (except Atom) eat h.264 SW decoding for breakfast. And MadVR barely uses the CPU at all...
As for OP: Settings as per StinDaWg requested, plus what was your previous GPU?

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks

Gear in this thread - 720P by PriceGrabber.com