NUC for the price of the Asus Chromebox? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NUC for the price of the Asus Chromebox?

Is there anything similar to the $180 Asus Chromebox, except with the ability to run Windows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
From Slickdeals: Acer Desktop (Refurbished): Celeron J1900 Quad Core $159 good deal?
post #3 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raident View Post
Is there anything similar to the $180 Asus Chromebox, except with the ability to run Windows?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Are you asking if it is possible to build or buy a PC with Windows on it for under $200? If that's simply the question, then the answer is yes. The real issue should be what you intend to do with the PC though. Working down in that price range, you will be rather limited in what you can do with the PC. I've seen a couple of systems that were built for about $250 that worked as very minimalist HTPCs. Both of them underwent upgrades less than a year later to keep up with new demands.

It's nice to save money. And, it's a great idea to look for ways to do so. But instead of looking for what is inexpensive and then trying to tweak it to do what you would like, you might be better off deciding what it is you want the machine to be able to do and work backwards from there. The folks on these forums know their stuff. They'll let you know what sort of guts your PC needs to have inside to achieve what you want out of it. Then, you can take those specs and shop according to the specs and look for the best deal that checks off each of your boxes.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

The primary purpose would be to play 1080p h.264/h.265 videos streamed from a Samba share. The secondary purpose would be to browse the web occasionally and watch Youtube videos. Supporting this all would be the ability to load an ICC profile.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
The primary purpose would be to play 1080p h.264/h.265 videos streamed from a Samba share. The secondary purpose would be to browse the web occasionally and watch Youtube videos. Supporting this all would be the ability to load an ICC profile.
There is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&leaderboard=1
Not $180 but net $230 now. Includes Win8.1, 500GB hard drive, keyboard & mouse etc.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
There are two NUCs roughly $150... plus memory and storage.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...n2820fykh.html
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ccp847dye.html
post #7 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
For the stated needs I cannot think of a better price/performance value than the Chromebox. It's been much cheaper, it was (may still be) $139 on Newegg, and the HP version is $150 on Amazon.

Note that you can install a full Linux distro or OpenElec. You can also easily dual boot with ChromiumOS and that will give you a full Chrome browsing experience. It also has a Haswell GPU which should be better than the Baytrail in Celeron. But I don't know anything about ICC profiles. The XBMC forums have more info.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-09-2014, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

I did consider actual Chromeboxes (and hacking Ubuntu/XBMC onto it), but I've heard that at least for the Asus Chromebox, audio over HDMI doesn't work in anything other Chrome OS.

Hardly anybody seems to have the HP Chromebox (I'm guessing that's because it's more expensive?), so it's hard to say what the situation is like over there.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-10-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
I've heard that at least for the Asus Chromebox, audio over HDMI doesn't work in anything other Chrome OS
I think perhaps you misconstrued this post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...660#pid1741660

No reason to use windows if you are just looking to run xbmc, though if windows is a necessity to you then the chromebox is not as good of a choice as a regular nuc

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=ASUS_Chromebox
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194362

Audio over hdmi works in openelec, just use the script above to install it standalone (gives you the option to backup chrome's install to a flash drive as well)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page