Problems with new HTPC setup - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > Home Theater Computers > Problems with new HTPC setup

Home Theater Computers

Richardw322's Avatar Richardw322
07:08 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 14
08-10-2014 | Posts: 31
So I rebuilt my HTPC using Windows 8.1 update and got Media center. I have 3 problems

1. I installed LAV filters, but WMC still doesn't see my MKV files. I can play them just fine in Windows Media Player, so I know that LAV is being used, but nothing in WMC.

2. I installed Media Browser Server, and set up a couple folders. Then I installed Media Browser Classic and it showed up in WMC. It played the MKV files just fine. Thought I was set, but then I noticed it was only showing the last season of some TV shows I have. The folders are set up the same as when I used MB2 (the old one) and in 2 it all worked just fine.

3 Playing around I went out of WMC and played with the server a little, then back to test. Loaded WMC clicked on Media Browser and it said can't find server.

At that point I gave up for the day, but want to try again today.
ajhieb's Avatar ajhieb
07:24 AM Liked: 435
post #2 of 14
08-10-2014 | Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardw322 View Post
So I rebuilt my HTPC using Windows 8.1 update and got Media center. I have 3 problems

1. I installed LAV filters, but WMC still doesn't see my MKV files. I can play them just fine in Windows Media Player, so I know that LAV is being used, but nothing in WMC.
I haven't tried to do MKV's in WMC (not MB) in ages, but iirc, there is a registry entry that needs to be changed in order for MKVs to work. I also have a suspicion that some of the codec packs like Shark007 automatically makes the proper associations.

Quote:
2. I installed Media Browser Server, and set up a couple folders. Then I installed Media Browser Classic and it showed up in WMC. It played the MKV files just fine. Thought I was set, but then I noticed it was only showing the last season of some TV shows I have. The folders are set up the same as when I used MB2 (the old one) and in 2 it all worked just fine.
If you just got it up and running my first guess is that it just hasn't finished updating the cache, especially if you have a sizable library. Just out of curiosity, what folder structure are you using for your shows? (And does MB3 Server recognize that library as TV?) I use: Show Title\Season 00\Show Title - sXXeYY - Episode Title.ext

Quote:
3 Playing around I went out of WMC and played with the server a little, then back to test. Loaded WMC clicked on Media Browser and it said can't find server.

At that point I gave up for the day, but want to try again today.

That could be any number of things. I'd start with the most obvious and work to the more complex stuff. Can you connect to the server with any other means? (ping it, remote desktop, file shares) If you can communicate with it, then is MB3 server still running? Is your firewall doing anything odd?
07:32 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 14
OOps, sorry for the confusion. Both the server and the client are on the same computer. It appears that is the only way to work the silly thing. I liked the old one better.
ajhieb's Avatar ajhieb
07:39 AM Liked: 435
post #4 of 14
08-10-2014 | Posts: 1,608
Quote:
OOps, sorry for the confusion. Both the server and the client are on the same computer. It appears that is the only way to work the silly thing. I liked the old one better.
Well, that should make troubleshooting easier.

Again, going with the old reliable stuff, I'd restart the computer, open up MB Server and make sure it's running then see if it'll reconnect in WMC again.
08:42 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 14
And for the record we use the same file path and title
LastButNotLeast's Avatar LastButNotLeast
09:08 AM Liked: 289
post #6 of 14
08-10-2014 | Posts: 4,854
Quote:
I liked the old one better.
Most of us did. Many of us have gone back to "the old one."
I'm sure you'll (eventually) be able to do what you want, it just wasn't worth it for me.
Good luck.
01:46 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 14
Well, I got Media browser working. problem was the server wasn't auto starting on reboot, religion. Still kind of like to get MKV in WMC, but Media browser works. Fine for that. One other thing, Xbox Video doesn't work. When I go to stream a movie, I hear sound but no picture. Nothing works but to reboot the computer. Tried alt f4, control alt delete, alt tab, no screen at all. Anyone have an idea on that?
06:44 AM Liked: 10
post #8 of 14
08-16-2014 | Posts: 31
Just realized another problem. When I let the computer go to sleep, on resume it's like 720P resolution instead of 1080P. If I reboot it comes back at 1080P. Do I need to set a profile in the AMD Catalyst control?
mdavej's Avatar mdavej
08:01 AM Liked: 430
post #9 of 14
08-16-2014 | Posts: 10,237
In my case this is highly dependent on the order I power things up. My PC is connected to my AVR which then goes to my TV. So turn on my TV, wake my PC then turn on my AVR after PC is awake. All this is done with one macro on my remote. A different order gives my unpredictable resolution changes.
SteelWill's Avatar SteelWill
08:45 AM Liked: 14
post #10 of 14
08-16-2014 | Posts: 512
The registry file for getting MKV's to show in WMC is here:
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/02/mkvs-...windows-7.html
JustaSheep's Avatar JustaSheep
08:59 AM Liked: 27
post #11 of 14
08-16-2014 | Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
In my case this is highly dependent on the order I power things up. My PC is connected to my AVR which then goes to my TV. So turn on my TV, wake my PC then turn on my AVR after PC is awake. All this is done with one macro on my remote. A different order gives my unpredictable resolution changes.
Odd, for me the AVR is the first thing to turn on in order to get the correct resolution. If the HDMI controller on the avr isn't booted all the way, I get downgraded graphics and audio from the source.
dfkimbro's Avatar dfkimbro
09:27 AM Liked: 41
post #12 of 14
08-16-2014 | Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWill View Post
Thanks for posting this! Bookmarked.
04:34 PM Liked: 10
post #13 of 14
08-21-2014 | Posts: 31
Quote:
Thanks for this SteelWill!!

Also, figured out the REZ change, for some reason the rez changed in Media Center, thought I went through in setup but either I missed it or it changed somehow. Set it to 1080P 59.994 (I think? I'm not at it) and that's now fine. Now just Xbox Video and the MKV thing to play with. So much to do, and no way to get the little woman away so I can play!!
Dark_Slayer's Avatar Dark_Slayer
01:27 PM Liked: 317
post #14 of 14
08-23-2014 | Posts: 2,663
Quote:
Nice link

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
I haven't tried to do MKV's in WMC (not MB) in ages, but iirc, there is a registry entry that needs to be changed in order for MKVs to work. I also have a suspicion that some of the codec packs like Shark007 automatically makes the proper associations.
This is correct on both counts. Shark's recommended settings will do this
Reply Home Theater Computers

Subscribe to this Thread