Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
4K questions...

I've a Samsung 4K 55" display. In order to take an advantage of real 4K experience in my HTPC, I assume I need a 4K graphic card and 4K material, BD today only, right?

If I just update the graphic card, w/o 4K content, it won't make much different, right?

Any reasonable 4K display card in the market today?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Right now the only real thing that will take advantage of 4K is PC games with a really high-end video card. That's assuming you can feed your TV 60hz. There is no current method of getting 4k video content outside of a few streaming services and the extra compression kind of negates the extra resolution. There are a few demo clips you can download to show off your set, the Elysium trailer looks amazing but no readily available full length movies.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 486
4k questions ... man, that's a lot of questions. You're gonna need more than one thread.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I remember back in 1994 or 1995, my girlfriend and I sat in the "home theater" at Circuit City and marveled at the 32" Flat Panel TV (that must have been "only" 3" thick) for $10,000, playing something that looked really good compared to the rest of the tube TVs on display.

Thanks for the efforts of the early adopters, willing to plunk $10,000 for a TV that had the capability (720p capability had been surpassed long before TV's became mainstream), but no source of content, I was able to afford to buy my own first 42" Flat Panel (LCD) TV in 2004 for $600, and then a 55" LED for $400 in 2012.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post
Any reasonable 4K display card in the market today?
Just doing a quick power search on NewEgg, here's the cheapest video card I can find that will output 4K -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121836

With a card like this the Samsung would be doing all the upscaling since I'm sure you wouldn't run MadVR with this. If the Samsung is good at that though (and for what they cost they should be a heck of a lot better than a Seiki) than a passive card like this for $50 after rebate sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
Just doing a quick power search on NewEgg, here's the cheapest video card I can find that will output 4K -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121836

With a card like this the Samsung would be doing all the upscaling since I'm sure you wouldn't run MadVR with this. If the Samsung is good at that though (and for what they cost they should be a heck of a lot better than a Seiki) than a passive card like this for $50 after rebate sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.
Thanks ElJimador! Can you please share with me what I need to look for when I pick up a GC that can support 4K? I'm using a native HDMI from this MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131850

Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post
Thanks ElJimador! Can you please share with me what I need to look for when I pick up a GC that can support 4K? I'm using a native HDMI from this MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131850

Thanks again!
Just use the power search on NewEgg like I did and select everything w/a max resoltion of 4k (2160p). Just make sure they output that through HDMI and not DisplayPort only since I assume your Samsung doesn't have DP in.

If you want to make a more serious investment and get a card to do higher level MadVR w/4k then I would still do a cheaper card now to bridge the gap until HDMI 2.0 cards start coming out.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

If the card is outputting 4K then the Samsung wouldn't be doing any upscaling.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
If the card is outputting 4K then the Samsung wouldn't be doing any upscaling.
You're right, sorry. I just meant that w/a card like this you couldn't be using chroma upscaling, etc w/MadVR (let alone image doubling) like yiu might be able to do w/a higher end card. At least not outputting to 4k.
ajhieb likes this.