Intel NUC D34010: HD Audio not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Intel NUC D34010: HD Audio not working

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Intel NUC HTPC that I'd really appreciate anyone being able to shed some light on. I'm using an Intel NUC D34010 (Intel i3 processor, Intel HD graphics 4400) HTPC connected over an HDMI cable to an Oppo BDP-103 BluRay player. The oppo then connects over HDMI to my TV panel and via RCA connectors to my power amplifiers to drive the speakers. I'm not using the Oppo to play BluRay disks, it's role is to decode the audio and pass the video signal out of the other HDMI port. I'm using XBMC 13.1 to playback content.

My problem: I get video, I can play DTS and Dolby Digital (AC-3) fine but I can't get HD audio to work.

The issue lies on the Intel NUC. If I look in the Supported Formats tab in the Sound control panel, under Encoded Formats I don't see any of the HD formats (DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD) listed. I've:
  • Updated the drivers to the latest versions from the Intel web site - I definitely have the latest Intel graphics drivers, v10.18.10.3643
  • Updated the BIOS to the latest (0027)
  • Disabled the Realtek output and removed the driver, just in case that was interfering with the Intel HD Audio
  • Confirmed that I'm using an HDMI 1.4a cable between the NUC and the Oppo
  • Powered-up the Oppo before the NUC to see if the HDMI handshake was the issue
None of these make any difference, still no support for HD Audio

Any ideas? I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit - the fact that it's 32bit not 64bit, would that make any difference?

My thoughts are to try dual-boot with Xbmcbuntu (but I need a bigger SSD for that, so not a cheap/quick option) or maybe buy a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus in case it's a protected pathway / HDCP issue (but they're $80 and I'd rather rule everything else out first before doing that!).

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 317
The HDCP DRM to play hd audio formats is found in the Intel Management Engine driver

I think this is the right one for your nuc https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&ProdId=3742
post #3 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Dark, thanks for the reply. Yup, I have that installed. My understanding is that the Intel Management Engine is a necessary component to allow the protected pathway in HDCP to work. When I look under the Device Manager all devices are working properly and I see Intel (r) Management Engine Interface listed under System Devices.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I just got this NUC too, and I swore I got DTS-MA & TrueHD through XBMC. When I get home, I'll check the supported audio format panel.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I don't see that the Oppo accepts True-HD or DTS-MA on the HDMI input:

From their spec page here:
Input - HDMI Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, AAC, up to 5.1ch/192kHz or 7.1ch/96kHz PCM.

Bill
post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-2014, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Bill,

"HDMI Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, AAC, up to 5.1ch/192kHz or 7.1ch/96kHz PCM." Doh!! Absolutely right, my bad. How did I miss that?! Thank you.

OK, so does anyone know of a player/device that does decode HD audio on HDMI and acts as a pre-amp, outputing each channel on discrete RCA connectors? Any recommendations?
post #7 of 8 Old 12-03-2014, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
Bill,

"HDMI Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, AAC, up to 5.1ch/192kHz or 7.1ch/96kHz PCM." Doh!! Absolutely right, my bad. How did I miss that?! Thank you.

OK, so does anyone know of a player/device that does decode HD audio on HDMI and acts as a pre-amp, outputing each channel on discrete RCA connectors? Any recommendations?
https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

•Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital decoding*; DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio and DTS decoding
•Dolby Pro Logic IIz, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, and Dolby Pro Logic II* and DTS NEO:6** processing
•192 kHz 24-bit DAC's for all channels
•4 HDMI 3D Inputs
•HDMI Output with ARC
•7.1 RCA pre-amp outputs
•Front height-channel outputs
•4 Digital Inputs (2 coaxial, 2 optical)
•2 Component Video Inputs
•2 Composite and 2 S-Video Inputs
•5 Analog Audio Inputs
•High performance tuner
post #8 of 8 Unread Today, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalsburg View Post
https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

•Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital decoding*; DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio and DTS decoding
•Dolby Pro Logic IIz, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, and Dolby Pro Logic II* and DTS NEO:6** processing
•192 kHz 24-bit DAC's for all channels
•4 HDMI 3D Inputs
•HDMI Output with ARC
•7.1 RCA pre-amp outputs
•Front height-channel outputs
•4 Digital Inputs (2 coaxial, 2 optical)
•2 Component Video Inputs
•2 Composite and 2 S-Video Inputs
•5 Analog Audio Inputs
•High performance tuner
I use an XP Netbook with a Creative Labs USB to Optical Audio interface to my Pioneer Receiver DVD optical input. VLC Media Player will play the High Resolution files. My Pioneer Receiver has High Resolution DACs. I can tell because I can hear the difference, from the thunderous Crescendos and very low noise. Whenever you play Blu-ray Disks, you are hearing high resolution audio; sample rate defines the richness of texture, bit depth defines possible magnitude. There are no restrictions on Blu-ray Audio resolution like there is on DVD Video Disks, however when playing back digital streams, you must setup the receiver settings for it to perform hi-rez decoding. Here are the specs for my Pioneer VSX-821-K ...

DECODERS & FORMATS
Digital Core DSP Engine - Texas Instruments Aureus
DAC - 192kHz / 24-Bit
iPod Digital Audio
Audio File USB Playback - 48kHz / 16-Bit MP3, WMA, AAC
Dolby True HD
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Pro-Logic IIz
DTS-HD Master Audio
HDMI SACD Transfer 2 Channel
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags