Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
XBox One getting more media file support

http://majornelson.com/2014/08/12/ki...t-coming-soon/

Mkv, h264, whole host of formats...

My only question is what max bitrate is support and can lossless audio be played
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Given that the device itself must support Cinavia as a bluray player I wonder if that will extend to network based MKV playback.

Also, the XB1 is getting tuner support in Europe. You could keep your fingers crossed for ATSC/Cablecard tuner support here I guess.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Now all it needs is Windows Media Center support and I'll buy one, maybe 2.

-RobNY
Sammy2 likes this.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNY View Post
Now all it needs is Windows Media Center support and I'll buy one, maybe 2.

-RobNY
This will never happen, and I think everyone who repeats this line knows full well it won't happen. WMC and the extenders are too limited to be able to work with the advertising/revenue model that Microsoft wants (being as it's a closed experience, discrete from the rest of the console).

However, Microsoft did state that they would be supporting an option in SmartGlass to stream TV shows from your XBOX One including full DVR capability. This, combined with the recent announcement of the European USB tuner add-on means that if we get support for other cable tuners as well, we'll have another whole-home DVR option that will include tablets and phones as well.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post
http://majornelson.com/2014/08/12/ki...t-coming-soon/

Mkv, h264, whole host of formats...

My only question is what max bitrate is support and can lossless audio be played
If it supports high bitrates and lossless audio im saying goodbye to my HTPC. Of course it also depends on what the UI looks like.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #6 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
But you still have to pay for xbox online
post #7 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesshin View Post
But you still have to pay for xbox online
Only to play online gaming, like the PS4. Netflix no longer requires membership.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #8 of 17 Old 08-12-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post
If it supports high bitrates and lossless audio im saying goodbye to my HTPC. Of course it also depends on what the UI looks like.
Plex has already stated that they've been given permission to start building an app for the xbox one. I currently rip and stream lossless media on my server via PMS with no issues. having said that, with cinavia even if you had lossless support, what good would it do, as half of your films will stop working after 20 minutes.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
with cinavia even if you had lossless support, what good would it do, as half of your films will stop working after 20 minutes.
I wasn't aware they were using Cinavia. Did the Xbox 360 use that as well? I didn't have problems streaming with it.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #10 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 62
It only pertains to devices that playback Blu-ray disc movies - so it wouldn't be on the 360 at all/for any reason.

What we have to wait to see is if Cinavia is built just into the Xbox One BR app only - in which case that would be the only app that has Cinavia - or if it's in the firmware/system wide - in which case even Plex or any other app - even native file playback or DLNA streaming - would be affected. Or, if it is nowhere in the system (or there, but set to 'off') when the BR app isn't installed - but once the BR app is installed it's system wide (and triggered/set to 'on').

On almost all commercial BR players - it's in the firmware, so it is in every app on the BR player. On a PC, the BR drive firmware/driver/system OS doesn't contain Cinavia - it's only in the BR disc playback app (PowerDVD/TMT).

I suppose someone could already try this to find out - as even if you encode - it doesn't get rid of the Cinavia audio watermark (and then play it back on the Xbox One as a mp4) - but I haven't heard anything/of anyone doing it.

Last edited by staknhalo; 08-13-2014 at 01:05 PM.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Can confirm, i bought a samsung bluray player hoping to use it as a cheap(er) plex client than building a htpc. Plex worked great till 20 min into 21 jump street it stops playing the audio with the warning. It was so infuriating and im sure MS will definitely cripple Plex in the same way. And if by chance they dont at launch, you can be sure itll show up during a future software update.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Can confirm, i bought a samsung bluray player hoping to use it as a cheap(er) plex client than building a htpc. Plex worked great till 20 min into 21 jump street it stops playing the audio with the warning. It was so infuriating and im sure MS will definitely cripple Plex in the same way. And if by chance they dont at launch, you can be sure itll show up during a future software update.
I have played plenty of videos through "play to" to the xbox. No issues. The bluray player is an app on the xbox and shouldn't be affecting anything else...everything is sandboxed and separated. And as far as I know the person working on a full plex home theater client for Xbox one (yes that's happening) has had no issues along that way. So shouldn't be a problem.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Good info everyone I guess we shall see.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #14 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrommert View Post
I have played plenty of videos through "play to" to the xbox. No issues. The bluray player is an app on the xbox and shouldn't be affecting anything else...everything is sandboxed and separated. And as far as I know the person working on a full plex home theater client for Xbox one (yes that's happening) has had no issues along that way. So shouldn't be a problem.

I hope so but im not holding my breath. Ive yet to encounter one non-PC plex player that can playback a full bitrate bluray mkv with hd audio at 24p. I just cant see an advantage from microsofts point by allowing a fully functional player. They need to keep content providers happy and protect their own marketplace as well. Hell, if they were out for the consumer, why didnt they include WMC support or even announce it now, given the demand that still exists for it?
post #15 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrommert View Post
Do you know if any of those files/rips came from a BR disc with Cinavia (it's not on every disc/movie title)? If so, what ones?
post #16 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 09:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I hope so but im not holding my breath. Ive yet to encounter one non-PC plex player that can playback a full bitrate bluray mkv with hd audio at 24p. I just cant see an advantage from microsofts point by allowing a fully functional player. They need to keep content providers happy and protect their own marketplace as well. Hell, if they were out for the consumer, why didnt they include WMC support or even announce it now, given the demand that still exists for it?
Player won't do 24 as far as I know. WMC is legacy and Microsoft is replacing it with their more mainstream consumer play on the xbox. The demand for WMC support is a fraction of a fraction of a fraction.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I believe Sony PS3 enforces cinavia on streaming. So it is very possible that Xbox One does as well. We will see.

Interestingly, none of the Sony BD players enforce cinavia on streaming even on older players that requires firmware update, only on discs, I believe BDA only requires such measure on disc playback, not necessary for streaming.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page