Handbrake newbie, need help with settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Handbrake newbie, need help with settings

So I just purchased an external dvd burner for my laptop and I've been wanting to rip my regular dvds to the hard drive so I can build up my digital collection. I've never used handbrake, but after reading I plan on ripping with makemkv and then using handbrake to compress the files.

I know that asking which settings are the best is mostly up to the individual, but I thought I would ask for some preset recommendations based on my plans for playback. Quality is important and I would at least like the copy to look as good as the original disc. For audio I would like the option to keep the 5.1 audio track and hopefully keep the file size to 2 gigs or preferably 1. Also, my tv is around 40 inch in viewing size. I would like to be able to watch it on the tv using plex, but also have the option of watching on a 7 inch tablet without it looking horrible.

So basically, is there a preset that allows me to watch on my hdtv and tablet without too drastic of a change in quality? Thanks for reading and I look forward to your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I use CQ 19 for DVDs and 21 for bluray and to my eyes at least I don't see any drop off in quality in the compressed copy vs. the full rip. (I also watch on a 40" TV). As for audio, there's no problem keeping 5.1 tracks (AC3 or DTS) when you handbrake DVDs. You can even passthrough DTS-HD 5.1 if you're ripping any blurays. The only thing Handbrake does not support is if you're trying to encode a bluray rip and keep the TrueHD or PCM tracks. If you're partial to keeping those you need an extra step of using MKVMerge to mux those tracks from the original rip back into the encoded copy. But if all you're thinking about right now though are DVDs then you don't have to worry about that. (It's not uncommon for concert DVDs to have PCM 2.0 tracks but I can only remember 1 out of hundreds of DVD movies I've ripped and encoded that had a PCM track so most likely you won't run into that).
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Wow, that guy advises you to disable deblocking in his Handbrake 0.9.9 guide. That eliminates one of H.264's many advantages over XviD, unless you want your encodes to look like they were done with XviD...
post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Wow, that guy advises you to disable deblocking in his Handbrake 0.9.9 guide. That eliminates one of H.264's many advantages over XviD, unless you want your encodes to look like they were done with XviD...
Disabling deblocking will never make your encode look worse than it already did. If you are encoding a source that isn't blocky then why would you enable it? It's only going to make your encode softer than the source. I would only use deblocking if the removal of source blockiness outweighs the desire to retain sharpness and overall quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 332
The whole point of deblocking is to catch and remove encoding artifacts that become more likely as you select worse quality values to achieve better compression. Even a value of -2:-2 will still catch many blocks without overly softening the image or removing too much grain. It doesn't matter how much macroblocking the source has; by recompressing it, you're creating the possibility that the new video will have macroblocking, and the odds increase as you try to achieve more compression as compared to the source.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page